FRANCE LATEST

3 hours ago, Damien said:

In RL international terms I would certainly consider 35k large. This is particularly so in France.

Large crowd maybe but not large stadium.

Even so the GF and CC final are in large stadiums (over 60k) with the aim to fill them, so a middle size stadium is a great target for this game.

5 hours ago, yipyee said:

Interesting view as I would call 35k mid size

I would reserve 'large' for anything over 60k 

I think this is what UEFA do for the champions league final, large over 60k with the europa league at a medium - large venue?

It's all about context. 

France vs Wales, one-off friendly match. 35k I would say is big. 

5 minutes ago, langpark said:

It's all about context. 

What I like about Luc is that he thinks big and knows that Internationals are the only way to grow the game in France,as long as the traditional teams are looked after for me its 100% commitment to try and help.

Paul

Just now, ATLANTISMAN said:

What I like about Luc is that he thinks big and knows that Internationals are the only way to grow the game in France,as long as the traditional teams are looked after for me its 100% commitment to try and help.

Paul

Absolutely. And as I said, I would prefer too big than too small. 

By the way, it seems your post is now making waves on twitter!

https://twitter.com/WalesRLfans/status/1487887798866792454?s=20&t=de9TDPmI_vVpT09OGdhmNQ

2 minutes ago, langpark said:

https://twitter.com/WalesRLfans/status/1487887798866792454?s=20&t=de9TDPmI_vVpT09OGdhmNQ

Nice:) Luc is brilliant with his ideas and a breath of fresh air with no baggage .

He already has established an excellent relationship with the Dragons and Toulouse which is good and is determined to push the Elite 1 forward.

Key is also looking after the smaller clubs as in France with the crazy election system they are the ones that can kill you its all about keeping everyone onside with practical ideas and support.

Paul

he may be doing a good job convincing people to host France games and the world cup but he needs to get his team working l, so far at all levels apart from the world cup  it catastrophic!!!! If you ask anybody involved in a team or a committee they'll tell you the same. 

5 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Prior to the pandemic, we were in the throws of purchasing a holiday home in Quillan, but when the travel restrictions came in we put it on the back burner, we have moved house over here in the meantime but could still resurrect the idea, has Quillan changed at all demographically in the last 3 years? I always thought it a good place to base for the rugby with Limoux, Perpignan and Carcassonne being easily accessible.

I'm currently holiday house hunting in Sicily. It was a toss up between there and the Aude. Sadly, despite the presence of RL in the latter, my brood want Sicily. 

12 hours ago, Jughead said:

If France v Wales in northern France got a five figure crowd it would be a huge success. 

It got 11 278 in Lens in 2012, as part of a 3-way series between France, England & Wales. But we don't do stuff like that any more.

16 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Prior to the pandemic, we were in the throws of purchasing a holiday home in Quillan, but when the travel restrictions came in we put it on the back burner, we have moved house over here in the meantime but could still resurrect the idea, has Quillan changed at all demographically in the last 3 years? I always thought it a good place to base for the rugby with Limoux, Perpignan and Carcassonne being easily accessible.

Ayup Harry, I returned to the UK from Quillan last year and it's been a bitter/sweet experience. I miss the beauty of the surrounding countryside, its history, the mountains and rivers and I miss a few close friends we made, but that's it. I'll admit that I struggled with a few 'cultural differences' and that the place, like many in our part of France, was a ghost-town in the winters - although the summers draw in large amounts of visitors and there are many fetes to be had.  Demographically I believe it is still a go-to place for many ex-pats from all parts of N. Europe as well as folk from Aussie, NZ and the USA. the fact that we managed to sell our place fairly quickly indicated that people continue to gravitate there and this was confirmed at the time by the immobilier - since the pandemic French folk are looking for a bolt-hole away from the city.

The mad thing is, you're in the heart of French RL territory but Quillan itself is staunchly an union town. I recall a meet and greet with the Maire and him asking me if I liked rugby. When I responded that I preferred the le jeu a treize the rapidly ensuing look of contempt that befell upon his face was a thing of joy.

However, my advice to you, if you are still thinking of making a move over, would be to head over the border. The cost of living is substantially lower and life is a bit more 'accessible'. 

13 hours ago, langpark said:

Paul is now a "source".. scary!

a Wales v France match would be amazing to have midseason.. keep it going too and build it, could be brilliant!

23 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Quillan is ok but again (imo), nowhere near as nice as it was twenty years ago.  

On 31/01/2022 at 20:17, langpark said:

It's all about context. 

Its not about context, well it is in terms of the game, it would be a big deal to fill a middle sized stadium..

7 minutes ago, glemiln said:

Will a regular Rugby League "?-Nations" set up ever come to fruition?  Naturally, it would have to be well outside the very successful Union set-up.  

I wouldn’t call it ‘Nations’ unless we want endless comparisons with the other code.

It would make sense to have a regular tournament though.

Archived