National Coal-Mining Museum

Thought a RL forum would be the perfect place to ask this question:

I have a hotel booked near Bradford that I can't cancel, only amend the date. So was thinking of changing the date to the Feb half-term and taking the kids to Yorkshire for two nights. Not much to do in the UK in winter, but I've heard the Mining Museum near Wakefield is worth a visit. My eldest is old enough to go underground with me, but my youngest will need to stay on top with the wife (who has no interest in mines, coal or UK winters). 

Any thoughts? Is there much to see at the surface for a four-year-old who can't see the mine itself?

TIA.

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

14 hours ago, Desert Skipper said:

I have a hotel booked near Bradford that I can't cancel, only amend the date. So was thinking of changing the date to the Feb half-term and taking the kids to Yorkshire for two nights. Not much to do in the UK in winter, but I've heard the Mining Museum near Wakefield is worth a visit. My eldest is old enough to go underground with me, but my youngest will need to stay on top with the wife (who has no interest in mines, coal or UK winters). 

Any thoughts? Is there much to see at the surface for a four-year-old who can't see the mine itself?

TIA.

Plenty to do up top,they do tours around the sheds and rail track area.also a nice cafe with a super breakfast,i live local and its always busy when i drive past, couple of 100 yards walk to the left out a gate is a nice garden center(horticenter) with lots to see. also a great place within 15 min drive is pugneys water park.

Pugneys Country Park is a 250-acre park located on the A636 between Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England and Junction 39 of the M1 motorway. It is a Local Nature Reserve. The area was developed from a former opencast mine and a sand and gravel quarry and was opened to the public in 1985.

7 minutes ago, silverback said:

Plenty to do up top,they do tours around the sheds and rail track area.also a nice cafe with a super breakfast

Great, thanks. You’ve sold it to me 👍

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

16 hours ago, Desert Skipper said:

TIA.

Years since I've been, though I doubt much has changed. Was always a good day out, especially as a kid. 

Media Museum in Bradford itself is also worth a visit whilst you're in the area. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

8 minutes ago, gazza77 said:

Media Museum in Bradford itself is also worth a visit whilst you're in the area. 

That's on the list, too.

If you will forgive me for saying so, DS, to suggest that there is not much to do in the UK in winter is grossly inaccurate; there is loads to entertain you, indoors and outdoors.  How about trying York for a day?

York Attractions | Places to Visit in York | Tourist… | Visit York

After a full, satisfying and exhausting day, you will realise that you have barely scratched the surface of what the city has to offer!  My daughter was born there, but otherwise I have no special affiliation to the city; I just think it's a great place to visit.

18 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

If you’re in Bradford then I would consider a trip to Saltaire which is a world heritage site and a very nice place to visit.

Saltaire mill has an art gallery that features a large collection by David Hockney the famous local artist - his work is bright and vibrant.

There’s also nice walks and places to eat.

Then travel a couple of miles down the road to Idle, where he can buy me a drink in the world famous Idle Working Mens Club. I could also show him some of the locations for Hockneys early work. 
Talk about culture! 

Well, I never realised there was quite as much to do around Bradford or Wakefield, so thanks for the info.

7 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

If you will forgive me for saying so, DS, to suggest that there is not much to do in the UK in winter is grossly inaccurate; there is loads to entertain you, indoors and outdoors.  How about trying York for a day?

Yes, I should have made it clear that I am an outdoorsy type with a body that doesn’t function well when the temperature is below 25 degrees! I did York for a day last summer, and it was worth the long drive 👍

If the kids like trains Middleton (the world's oldest continuous working) Railway in Leeds (not a long line but includes a bit of RL stuff as you chug past Hunslet's ground and there's a park at the far end of the line fo a stroll) or the Kirklees Light Railway are worth a visit. Pontefract and Sandal castles aren't too far away either. Not a lot at Sandal but a bit more at Ponte, plus the 'dungeon' will almost certainly be open for short tours. 

My grandson really enjoyed it even though he was scared of going down at 1st, up top there's loads of old buildings to investigate where you get a real sense of what it was like as a working pit, 10 minutes down the road and there's the kirklees light railway at clayton west which is a decent couple of hours.

47 minutes ago, Desert Skipper said:

Well, I never realised there was quite as much to do around Bradford or Wakefield, so thanks for the info.

Yes, I should have made it clear that I am an outdoorsy type with a body that doesn’t function well when the temperature is below 25 degrees! I did York for a day last summer, and it was worth the long drive 👍

Beamish might be up your street - it even has a mine!

https://www.beamish.org.uk

I haven't been there for a few years, but I really enjoyed it, even in the early days of the place when a lot of it wasn't open yet.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

49 minutes ago, Desert Skipper said:

Yes, I should have made it clear that I am an outdoorsy type with a body that doesn’t function well when the temperature is below 25 degrees! 

Outdoorsy type that doesn't function well in temperature below 25c, visiting Yorkshire? Not sure you've come to the right place. 😜😂😂😂

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

you can jump on the "ale trail" at dewsbury and leave the kids outside all the pubs with a bag of crisps and a fizzy pop while you get leathered on local brews 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/02/2022 at 21:08, daz39 said:

My grandson really enjoyed it even though he was scared of going down at 1st, up top there's loads of old buildings to investigate where you get a real sense of what it was like as a working pit, 10 minutes down the road and there's the kirklees light railway at clayton west which is a decent couple of hours.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

I spent 15 years in mining and never heard the surface called "up top" A few terminologies, surface, underground, in by, travibg away from the pit bottom, out by, travelling towards the pit bottom intake and return describes the circuit the pit is ventilated, most pits have two shafts, one is the intake the other return shaft, the return will be the shaft that's closed in.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

• 2 weeks later...

So, thanks for all the replies…   I went to stay just south of Bradford for three days with the family and had a whale of a time:

Did the Media/Science museum on the Thursday when it was bitterly cold outside. Loads to do and even squeezed an IMAX movie in.

Friday, the weather was better so did the Coal Mining Museum. Took my eldest (11 yrs old) down the mine for the tour which was excellent, especially for bringing him down to Earth after a spoiled upbringing in the ‘faux glitz’ lifestyle of Dubai. Again loads to see and do here, far more than I expected. Especially great to talk to all the volunteer ex-miners who were so happy to pass on their knowledge.

Saturday, we did the Kirklees Light Railway, followed by Sid’s Cafe on the way home to Cheshire. Also managed to squeeze in a trip to the UK’s tallest building at the Emley Moor mast, and Castle Hill at night overlooking Huddersfield.

I’m happy to say my expectations of a cold, wet weekend near Bradford were entirety blown out of the water! 

Archived