Challenge Cup 3rd & 4th Round Draw - Tuesday evening

Not sure what time or where you can watch or listen to it, as the review of the second round ties just said “Tuesday evening”. 

Six ties in round three, involving the twelve round two winners - York Acorn, Royal Navy, Hunslet Club Parkside, Rochdale Mayfield, North Wales Crusaders, Siddal, London Skolars, Rochdale Hornets, Doncaster, Hunslet, Swinton Lions and Lock Lane. 

The Fourth Round is where the Championship teams join proceedings. 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Third round

Ties to be played weekend of February 12-13

1. Doncaster

2. Hunslet

3. Hunslet Club Parkside

4. Lock Lane

5. London Skolars

6. North Wales Crusaders

7. Rochdale Hornets

8. Rochdale Mayfield

9. Royal Navy

10. Siddal

11. Swinton Lions

12. York Acorn

Fourth round

Ties to be played weekend of February 26-28

1. Barrow Raiders

2. Batley Bulldogs

3. Bradford Bulls

4. Dewsbury Rams

5. Featherstone Rovers

6. Halifax Panthers

7. Leigh Centurions

8. London Broncos

9. Newcastle Thunder

10. Sheffield Eagles

11. Whitehaven

12. Widnes Vikings

13. Workington Town

14. York City Knights

15-20. Third-round winners

This new format has passed me by, it seems. Before reading the second round review today, I thought the second round winners went straight in with the Championship sides, rather than just having six League One and amateur sides going in the draw with them. I feel it’s a shame as Lock Lane, especially, deserve a big day at a Leigh or Fev as a reward for beating Oldham. 

36 minutes ago, Jughead said:

This new format has passed me by, it seems. Before reading the second round review today, I thought the second round winners went straight in with the Championship sides, rather than just having six League One and amateur sides going in the draw with them. I feel it’s a shame as Lock Lane, especially, deserve a big day at a Leigh or Fev as a reward for beating Oldham. 

They don’t deserve anything other than a place in the random next round draw, which is what they’ve got. 

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

They don’t deserve anything other than a place in the random next round draw, which is what they’ve got. 

Okay, I think an entirely amateur side thoroughly deserve a good draw in the next round of the competition after beating a side that only four or five months ago were in the second tier of the game and I also think that as few as six League One and amateur teams up against Championship opposition isn’t as fair as previous formats used in the cup. 

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

Good chance of community team getting to the Fourth round and chance of some derbies (Rochdale, Hunslet, York if they got through). 

I can say with some confidence all of those remaining amateur sides will believe they can get through to the 4th round, no matter who they draw. I'd say at least 3 actually will. 

51 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Okay, I think an entirely amateur side thoroughly deserve a good draw in the next round of the competition after beating a side that only four or five months ago were in the second tier of the game and I also think that as few as six League One and amateur teams up against Championship opposition isn’t as fair as previous formats used in the cup. 

Do you think the draw should be fixed then?  I agree about the lack of L1 and amateur teams though, SL teams should enter at least a round earlier, if not two. 

Just now, Eddie said:

Do you think the draw should be fixed then?  I agree about the lack of L1 and amateur teams though, SL teams should enter at least a round earlier, if not two. 

Fixed? How so? 

I think the 2019 format where the twelve winners of round two (League One and amateur sides) went into round three with the Championship sides was a better and fairer format and allowed smaller clubs to be drawn against bigger opposition rather than this years format where only six League One and amateur teams will get to play Championship sides. 

I also agree that Super League clubs should be in earlier, too. 

I guess if we're trying to reduce the number of games the top players have in a WC year, it makes sense. Also these games are not exactly money spinning any more. And maybe fewer championship clubs in the sixth round helps 1895 schedule? Assuming that is happening, haven't checked the fixtures.

14 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Yep it´s a very dumb system that denies smaller clubs and the ambitous championship teams of giving some SL teams a game. We need the SL teams to enter in final 32 for the TV coverage. 

I’m sorry if I have this wrong but are you saying TV figures would be better if a televised game was League One club v Super League club?

Five of my likely Top 6 ( several will romp that division ) League 1 sides go into the hat with 5 NCL Premiers.

Should be interesting and as close a measure of  where we all are for 2022 as can be taken at this stage. Whatever the eventual scores we will see potentially bigger margins in League 1 as the season progresses.. 

For the  the amateur clubs still standing Round 3 is and always has been  their 'Wembley '

Promises to be a good day out for everyone whatever the results........

Fax v Fev and Leigh v Widnes two ties to look forward to.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

2 hours ago, JonM said:

I guess if we're trying to reduce the number of games the top players have in a WC year, it makes sense. Also these games are not exactly money spinning any more. And maybe fewer championship clubs in the sixth round helps 1895 schedule? Assuming that is happening, haven't checked the fixtures.

I think I read somewhere that the 5 teams who made it through to the 6th round would qualify for the AB Sundecks trophy. I'd assume there would then be 1 'qualifying' match to leave 4 teams in the semi finals.

Challenge Cup third round draw
Lock Lane v Rochdale Hornets
Royal Navy v York Acorn
London Skolars v Hunslet Club Parkside
Swinton Lions v North Wales Crusaders
Rochdale Mayfield v Doncaster
Hunslet v Siddal

Challenge Cup fourth round draw
York v Newcastle
Halifax v Featherstone
Leigh v Widnes
Lock Lane or Rochdale v Barrow
Batley v Royal Navy or York Acorn
London Broncos v Bradford
London Skolars or Hunslet Club Parkside v Sheffield
Swinton or North Wales v Hunslet or Siddal
Workington v Dewsbury
Rochdale Mayfield or Doncaster v Whitehaven

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Yep it´s a very dumb system that denies smaller clubs and the ambitous championship teams of giving some SL teams a game. We need the SL teams to enter in final 32 for the TV coverage. 

They should . Even if it turns out not to be a game on the scoreboard or a TV game a rare date  against a SL team is a big day , a memorable one and a potential moneyspinner. It was a central facet of the Cup , I remember many of them personally . Its  a shame the format has largely squeezed it out . Coming in one round before a QF is ridiculous 

4 minutes ago, DavidM said:

They should . Even if it turns out not to be a game on the scoreboard or a TV game a rare date  against a SL team is a big day , a memorable one and a potential moneyspinner. It was a central facet of the Cup , I remember many of them personally . Its  a shame the format has largely squeezed it out . Coming in one round before a QF is ridiculous 

Even for fans of big clubs, it’s not really appetising to see the same teams again and again. I love the cup and follow it religiously and maybe I’m the minority here but a huge chance of playing a Super League team in the cup doesn’t excite me but if you offered me a lower league team away, especially one I’ve never been to, I’d be over the moon with that. 

Archived