Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)

5 minutes ago, meast said:

All the talk about the last few years has been about how the likes of Toronto, Toulouse, Newcastle, York should replace Huddersfield, Salford, Wakefield etc in SL as apparently these clubs don't "offer anything"

Yet, going by this thread, if Toulouse get less than 4,000 then all 3 clubs would have attracted less than 6,000 fans between them, hardly a new world order is it?

Hopefully there'll be a good, vibrant atmosphere at Toulouse on Saturday evening.

Ticket sales suggest it will be 5k+ minimum 

8 hours ago, meast said:

All the talk about the last few years has been about how the likes of Toronto, Toulouse, Newcastle, York should replace Huddersfield, Salford, Wakefield etc in SL as apparently these clubs don't "offer anything"

Yet, going by this thread, if Toulouse get less than 4,000 then all 3 clubs would have attracted less than 6,000 fans between them, hardly a new world order is it?

Hopefully there'll be a good, vibrant atmosphere at Toulouse on Saturday evening.

Salford, Wakefield and Hudds all have a latent support that comes with being around for over a 100 years. Look at the GF and play-off attendances for Salford and see what can happen.

Similar with Cas - new coach and players, new season optimism and some good marketing and they’ve got 10k for tonight.

York and Newcastle, and to a lesser extent Toulouse, don’t have that and need time to build.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

You mean Toronto who were getting 7k plus in champ. How many would Salford get if we switched their place with York?

Yeah and that club was ultimately proven to have been built on sand, covid or not, it was never going to work out in the longer term, as much as people, including me at first wanted it to.

Salford would get 1500-2000 in the championship if they were competing, but they aren't in the championship they're in super league and are there on merit so I guess, we'll have to guess?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, meast said:

Giants are also doing something similar this year with a street festival with a DJ, live acts, bars etc hopefully it will be a success and we can attract a whole wad of new fans?

They need to Meast , have to say our visit to whatever it's called ATM stadium at Huddersfield was depressing with the pub shut down , poor access to the bar , just really low key 

I know Leigh aren't a great draw for anybody , but it was the worst away experience last year 

3 minutes ago, theswanmcr said:

Salford, Wakefield and Hudds all have a latent support that comes with being around for over a 100 years. Look at the GF and play-off attendances for Salford and see what can happen.

Similar with Cas - new coach and players, new season optimism and some good marketing and they’ve got 10k for tonight.

York and Newcastle, and to a lesser extent Toulouse, don’t have that and need time to build.

Precisely my take on it.

Which is why it baffles me when people suggest we should remove established clubs and replace them with clubs who are doing good things but are nowhere near the level they need to be.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

They need to Meast , have to say our visit to whatever it's called ATM stadium at Huddersfield was depressing with the pub shut down , poor access to the bar , just really low key 

I know Leigh aren't a great draw for anybody , but it was the worst away experience last year 

In fairness, last year was a complete write off, we needed Watto to sift through the squad and to completely rebuild the culture, but off the field, there was nothing.

We were still under some covid restrictions and so any activities inside and outside the stadium were very limited, it was a case of get 2021 over with.

When Leigh came, it was very low key, just like it was when Wigan, Salford, Catalans, Hull KR, Wakefield etc came.

The rope walk pub shut down during the early part of the pandemic and has never reopened, all the other pubs around the ground have all gone, the only bar on site is the legends, which on a matchday is run by the Huddersfield Giants Supporters Association (HGSA) for it's members and for Giants fans who donate to us.

On occasion we do let away fans in, that Leigh game was one such occasion, we were limited to 50 people inside which is why access was poor, we are run by volunteers as I'm sure LISA are and we could only do our best.

The game was the last of the season and by that time most people were looking forward to 2022 and the game was almost irrelevant to most people, Leigh travelled in good number but 2 coachloads rocked up and most of them wanted a drink or two.

Most Leigh fans were excellent, understanding and pragmatic and were happy to donate to enter, but some were just complete tools and expected to just waltz in and be given red carpet treatment.

Hopefully it will be a bit more vibrant on your next visit 👍

Edited by meast
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great start at Saints. And for those who don't buy into things like light shows, look at the images on social media, or how I pressie it looked on TV - it really shows off the night as a modern event in a lovely (spit) stadium. 

That element is as important as entertaining the 13k in the ground. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Your point in original post was that people want Salford out because they offer little and you drew a comparison to the attendances.  

So when I actually showed the attendance figures for York at least  (lets ignore Toronto then for the sake of arguement) are statistically on par with Salford (even in their 2019 glory run) you then move the goalposts. 

It is decided on the field fine and I look forward to Salford leaving that box next season but doesnt change fact York would offer more to SL as it stands.

I was pointing out that people, especially on here believe that Salford, as well as Huddersfield, Wakefield, sometimes Hull KR , sometimes Castleford, "bring nothing to the game" and should be replaced by the likes of York, Newcastle, Toulouse, Toronto, etc who, in my eyes offer even less than the aforementioned existing SL clubs, whatever "bring" and "offer" is supposed to mean.

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, meast said:

I was pointing out that people, especially on here believe that Salford, as well as Huddersfield, Wakefield, sometimes Hull KR , sometimes Castleford, "bring nothing to the game" and should be replaced by the likes of York, Newcastle, Toulouse, Toronto, etc who, in my eyes offer even less than the aforementioned existing SL clubs, whatever "bring" and "offer" is supposed to mean.

That's a strawman

37 minutes ago, meast said:

I was pointing out that people, especially on here believe that Salford, as well as Huddersfield, Wakefield, sometimes Hull KR , sometimes Castleford, "bring nothing to the game" and should be replaced by the likes of York, Newcastle, Toulouse,

Absolutely, although Toulouse are already a Super League club so they can’t replace Salford or Wakefield in Super League. 

20 hours ago, Damien said:

Yes it's great to see the effort:

COME AND CHECKOUT OUR NEW FAN ZONE!

Heading up our brand new matchday experience, the Club can reveal we have created an exciting new Fan Zone behind the Main Stand which will feature:

The ‘Molson Coors Stage’ where entertainment will perform both before and after the game

A new resident DJ will get fans ready for the game and host a post-match disco and karaoke

The ‘Doom Bar Real Ale Bar’ – our real ale bar has been doubled in size in the off-season and will feature a number of guest beers

A brand-new gin, wine, and prosecco bar

Plus, new street food vendors as part of a ‘Street Kitchen’ alongside other exciting food options!

It’s the Toronto Wolfpack model, what a fantastic operation they ran

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

Does Yorks modern appropriately sized stadium in a thriving city offer more than a similar attendance in Huddersfield's massively oversized box?  Well from a tv perspective, Yes again. 

I'm wondering when the new stadium at York will be filled to its 8,500 capacity, for a club game involving either York City Knights RLFC or York City FC. Going to be a while, I fear. The LNER probably looks a bit better on the telly - at least with 3,500 present - than 'New Fartown' because the lead cameras are positioned in the empty, unused west stand.

York may be a thriving city (if only because of something like an £850m annual spend by visitors), but the challenge for York City Knights (and York City) is stimulating the interest both of visitors and of the large proportion of York residents who aren't from the city, and appear happy to ignore what York's sports clubs get up to. And, of course, winning back 'lost' fans. I gather all this was touched on by new owner Clint Goodchild during this week's Q&A at the LNER.

Edited by Hopping Mad
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

So which ones.  Does two french clubs adding an all french derby bring more to the sport? Of course,  two sell out games on the continent brings more than Salfords 3000 average for tv figures and opportunities. 

Does Yorks modern appropriately sized stadium in a thriving city offer more than a similar attendance in Huddersfield's massively oversized box?  Well from a tv perspective, Yes again. 

The solution is to go to 14,  lower central funding accordingly and more clubs will be given the chance to capture that commercial potential.

Last 2 seasons (maybe 3 with Broncos having to play at Ealing and in no commercial position to capture SL value) the leagues  weakest teams have been protected, I hope that is now over. 

Will the two French derbies definitely sell out then? Where did you get that info? 

6 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Challenge  Cup or Playoffs and for the Asso Football an FA Cup or playoff fixture.  York City fans hate their owner and Knights have grown well.  If York can be one of the lucky 5 in last 16 a decent SL side will generate local interest.  

You think YCK would get 8,500 in for a championship play off game??  Your obsession with them is something else, if you want a championship team with a nice ground to get promoted and bring more fans to SL you’re better off with Widnes. 

• Like 1