Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)

That's a very good turnout for Saints after some very encouraging Championship attendances and viewing figures.  Is it too soon to use 'feel good factor'!

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, Scubby said:

They won't sell out because the scheduling clowns have put both on a Thursday night. Absolutely ####### ridiculous.

Hang on a minute , surely they are playing on a Thursday to accommodate TV ? , Isn't that more important ? 

5 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Hang on a minute , surely they are playing on a Thursday to accommodate TV ? , Isn't that more important ? 

Toulouse and Catalans home games are televised on a Saturday so they are on TV. This is just sloppy and an organisation with no backbone. Easter in France doesn't follow the UK in terms of BH so Thursday is just a Thursday night not Good Friday eve.  

Edited by Scubby

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Toulouse and Catalans home games are televised on a Saturdays so they are on TV. This is just sloppy and an organisation with no backbone. Easter in France doesn't follow the UK in terms of BH so Thursday is just a Thursday night.  

So I assume this is to reduce travelling at short turnaround , so which French team plays the Mon/Tue ?

8 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Brilliant effort by Cas. When was the last time they topped 10k outside of a derby? Saints play off maybe?

This is terrific and I imagine Cas promoting these numbers over the last few days has helped get the numbers even higher as people:

1) feel like this is a must-attend event, and

2) worry that they might not get in just by showing up on the night.

Well done Cas.

Edited by Just Browny
  • Like 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

3 hours ago, Scubby said:

Brilliant effort by Cas. When was the last time they topped 10k outside of a derby? Saints play off maybe?

Great stuff. Cas really need to be commended on this. If the stadium redevelopment happens they really will be a club on the rise. All real positive stuff.

4 hours ago, Dunbar said:

That's a very good turnout for Saints after some very encouraging Championship attendances and viewing figures.  Is it too soon to use 'feel good factor'!

I don’t think it’s limited to Rugby League, seems that people are turning up to watch live sports post covid especially below elite level.

I was at a non league football match at Liversedge the other week with an attendance of over 1,500. A couple of years ago their crowds were under 100.

I we’ll see some exceptionally good crowds in the Championship and League One this year. I know Featherstone have sold a lot of season tickets but i’d be interested to know how other clubs have done if anyone has the figures.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, fevtom said:

I don’t think it’s limited to Rugby League, seems that people are turning up to watch live sports post covid especially below elite level.

I was at a non league football match at Liversedge the other week with an attendance of over 1,500. A couple of years ago their crowds were under 100.

I we’ll see some exceptionally good crowds in the Championship and League One this year. I know Featherstone have sold a lot of season tickets but i’d be interested to know how other clubs have done if anyone has the figures.

The exact reverse of what the TRL doom mongers predicted in fact. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

The exact reverse of what the TRL doom mongers predicted in fact. 

Which ones? I think quite a few on here gave some slack to clubs last year despite being really disappointed with attendances.

I was one who said there are no excuses this year with a full off season and it looks like the game has actually tried to push positive messaging. It has been a breath of fresh air and I hope it's the start of something.

3 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Which ones? I think quite a few on here gave some slack to clubs last year despite being really disappointed with attendances.

I was one who said there are no excuses this year with a full off season and it looks like the game has actually tried to push positive messaging. It has been a breath of fresh air and I hope it's the start of something.

Plenty of people said crowds would never come back. I said there could be a boom like after WW2 and got laughed at. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Plenty of people said crowds would never come back. I said there could be a boom like after WW2 and got laughed at. 

Fair play. I was on the fence and was sceptical at how hard clubs would work to create a buzz. Credit to the game it has worked hard. But let's not forget, Sky put SL on notice and wanted more. Whether that was the kick up the backside it needed is up for debate.

This should be a great round one in terms of crowds.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, theswanmcr said:

Salford, Wakefield and Hudds all have a latent support that comes with being around for over a 100 years. Look at the GF and play-off attendances for Salford and see what can happen.

Similar with Cas - new coach and players, new season optimism and some good marketing and they’ve got 10k for tonight.

York and Newcastle, and to a lesser extent Toulouse, don’t have that and need time to build.

The latent argument is one I've often used for why you can't always compare like to like, or use the lazy 'you've had 100 years to build a following.'

I first became a diehard RL fan when Widnes were trying to get back in SL the first time, around 1999. At that time, Hull KR were something of a bit part mid-table team with crowds around 2k. They represented a tricky away day, but not a serious SL prospect. I'd never have believed you if you'd told me that one day they be a mid-sized SL club and bigger than Widnes.

A lot of people drift away because the club gets on hard times or they become disillusioned with the club or the game. However, when times improve, they are a ready made resource to tap into. I mentioned on an alternative thread, that IMO Widnes need a few years away from a major promotion challenge to recharge the fans' batteries. Then with sudden momentum, a lot of those who've drifted away would drift back having forgotten the negativity of the last relegation.

There are limits to this though, and there can reach a point where the RL club over-time becomes such an irrelevance that those fans get lost forever. For instance, I don't think places like Oldham will ever have the ability to draw a crowd like they did just 30 years ago.

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

The latent argument is one I've often used for why you can't always compare like to like, or use the lazy 'you've had 100 years to build a following.'

I first became a diehard RL fan when Widnes were trying to get back in SL the first time, around 1999. At that time, Hull KR were something of a bit part mid-table team with crowds around 2k. They represented a tricky away day, but not a serious SL prospect. I'd never have believed you if you'd told me that one day they be a mid-sized SL club and bigger than Widnes.

A lot of people drift away because the club gets on hard times or they become disillusioned with the club or the game. However, when times improve, they are a ready made resource to tap into. I mentioned on an alternative thread, that IMO Widnes need a few years away from a major promotion challenge to recharge the fans' batteries. Then with sudden momentum, a lot of those who've drifted away would drift back having forgotten the negativity of the last relegation.

There are limits to this though, and there can reach a point where the RL club over-time becomes such an irrelevance that those fans get lost forever. For instance, I don't think places like Oldham will ever have the ability to draw a crowd like they did just 30 years ago.

Even twenty years ago the support base for HKR was still there , just ' dormant ' in the shadow of FCs then fairly recent SL entry , you tend to get that when it's a 2 club city

3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Even twenty years ago the support base for HKR was still there , just ' dormant ' in the shadow of FCs then fairly recent SL entry , you tend to get that when it's a 2 club city

Of course it was as proven by the latter events. However, at the time it didn't seem so. At that point in my RL life, KR had been a bit of a non-entity and it was hard to see them as a decent sized club.

Clubs that have a certain profile in the town are able to recreate it too. Widnes will always have this, yes we're near Liverpool and Manchester but everyone in Widnes knows we have a RL team. It wouldn't take a lot for a big game to be big news.

Sales at Headingley have stalled a bit over the last week. Plenty of availability in the East Stand and a bit left in the North. Still, should be an above-average crowd. Hopefully there won't be any drum complaints from viewers. . .

19 hours ago, Dave T said:

That’s a cracking photo, it didn’t look that good were i was stood. But i was in an area with the scruff’s and the Nando’s gang, who spend more time at the bar queuing up for a pint of ######. By the time they stagger back to their spec having spilt most of the lager, their mates are shouting “were the f****** hell have you been”. Five mins later they’re back off to queue up at the bar. Not before they’ve been for their 7th ###### of the night. 

• Haha 1