Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)

On 13/02/2022 at 22:58, ShropshireBull said:

That would be immense. Someone once told me how much they had grown attendances over the decades and it just shows what an albatross that ground is. If it were a 10 , 12k stadium we´d be talking about how fantastic the Giants look on tv. 

Huddersfield don't get judged on how many people we have or don't have but how many empty spaces we have, unfortunately apart from becoming one of the best supported teams overnight there's nothing we can do about it.

I've said before, put our crowds in any other ground and we wouldn't get half as much stick about our apparent lack of fans.

Edited by meast
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Dallas Mead said:

Where are the Leeds fans?  Only circa 12,000 home fans on Saturday despite new signings, the first game of the season and plenty of hype from channel 4.  Worrying 😱

I suppose if we look at the reality of it, we know terrestrial tv can impact the crowd, and a 12.30 kick off is not the norm for Leeds, so 12k home fans is sid, but not brilliant. 

I'd love to see them getting back to another couple of thousand on that though, it's an alarming drop, like Wigan. 

The more fans at grounds the better, even if they are Wiganers.

11 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I suppose if we look at the reality of it, we know terrestrial tv can impact the crowd, and a 12.30 kick off is not the norm for Leeds, so 12k home fans is sid, but not brilliant. 

I'd love to see them getting back to another couple of thousand on that though, it's an alarming drop, like Wigan. 

To me Leeds and Wigan are the two biggest RL teams outside Australia and their attendance slumps in the last few seasons are the most worrying thing about English RL. The game needs the big clubs to be thriving, yet from the outside at least neither club seems to be doing much to address it. 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I might be wrong but Leeds don't think get to play an actual home game on their preferred Friday night for ages - maybe 2-3 months

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

To me Leeds and Wigan are the two biggest RL teams outside Australia and their attendance slumps in the last few seasons are the most worrying thing about English RL. The game needs the big clubs to be thriving, yet from the outside at least neither club seems to be doing much to address it. 

Its symptomatic of a gamewide slump in attractiveness I feel. Hopefully some positivity can help drive things forwards.

Edited by Tommygilf

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Its symptomatic of a gamewide slump in attractiveness I feel. Hopefully some positivity can help drive things forwards.

Yes it is but at the same time Saints, Warrington, Hull and Castleford’s crowds have at least held up, and Hull KR’s have grown. The decline in people going to watch Wigan and Leeds isn’t mirrored at the other big clubs. 

Just now, Eddie said:

Yes it is but at the same time Saints, Warrington, Hull and Castleford’s crowds have at least held up, and Hull KR’s have grown. The decline in people going to watch Wigan and Leeds isn’t mirrored at the other big clubs. 

This is where "big clubs" is a point of discussion. Realistically Leeds and Wigan were untouchable (bar Bradford) for regular attendances. Now we have clubs getting 10-11k seeming like big boys because ultimately the real big boys have been in decline. If you had said Saints, Wire and Hull FC would be much closer to Leeds and Wigan attendances in 10 years time in 2012, you'd be disappointed that its because the latter two have gone down.

There is a certain element of a dumbing down attitude that has pervaded the sport for over a decade now and is only slowly being rectified. A minimalist accountants approach and sitting on our laurels as a sport generally hasn't helped - and Leeds and Wigan operate in the RL market and its limitations. Equally for clubs like Saints etc they haven't kicked on to surpass or equal Wigan/Leeds, despite their decline.

I have discussed the problems at both Leeds and Wigan at length across this board on various threads in more depth, the above is only the element that is out of their direct/total control. 

• Like 1

Regarding the Leeds attendance, I was disappointed with it (although the atmosphere was very good).

We do have to accept the downside of terrestrial tv coverage could mean a small drop in the usual attendance for that game.

I can well imagine a fair few people deciding not to bother going because of the time, weather and the fact its live on channel 4.

It does feel and look like Leeds are trying more this season to get crowds back, we’ve had the perfect storm of, stadium rebuild, ###### performances and covid over the last 5 years!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

Regarding the Leeds attendance, I was disappointed with it (although the atmosphere was very good).

We do have to accept the downside of terrestrial tv coverage could mean a small drop in the usual attendance for that game.

I can well imagine a fair few people deciding not to bother going because of the time, weather and the fact its live on channel 4.

It does feel and look like Leeds are trying more this season to get crowds back, we’ve had the perfect storm of, stadium rebuild, ###### performances and covid over the last 5 years!

Someone should have told Sid

13 hours ago, meast said:

Huddersfield don't get judged on how many people we have or don't have but how many empty spaces we have, unfortunately apart from becoming one of the best supported teams overnight there's nothing we can do about it.

I've said before, put our crowds in any other ground and we wouldn't get half as much stick about our apparent lack of fans.

Huddersfield get judged on the size of the crowd. Cas and Wakey get judged on their grounds. Salford get judged by ground and crowd. All of them get wrote off in different ways. Rugby League is played on a pitch. Huddersfield are about the most fan friendly club in Super league btw. I say that as a Barnsley FC fan forgetting the rivalry between the Towns.

• Like 3

I've been at Huddersfield with 7-8k in and it is a great atmosphere. Huddersfield have the scope to get 10k plus in a decent stadium. I'd take that any day over the noise around Salford and Moor Lane and Wakefield having to cap capacity because of H&S.

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

This is where "big clubs" is a point of discussion. Realistically Leeds and Wigan were untouchable (bar Bradford) for regular attendances. Now we have clubs getting 10-11k seeming like big boys because ultimately the real big boys have been in decline. If you had said Saints, Wire and Hull FC would be much closer to Leeds and Wigan attendances in 10 years time in 2012, you'd be disappointed that its because the latter two have gone down.

There is a certain element of a dumbing down attitude that has pervaded the sport for over a decade now and is only slowly being rectified. A minimalist accountants approach and sitting on our laurels as a sport generally hasn't helped - and Leeds and Wigan operate in the RL market and its limitations. Equally for clubs like Saints etc they haven't kicked on to surpass or equal Wigan/Leeds, despite their decline.

I have discussed the problems at both Leeds and Wigan at length across this board on various threads in more depth, the above is only the element that is out of their direct/total control. 

Yes but Leeds are only interested in the corporate dollar , hence Friday nights , and ' fans ' on here are more concerned with TV audiences than actual real live fans at stadiums 

6 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes but Leeds are only interested in the corporate dollar , hence Friday nights , and ' fans ' on here are more concerned with TV audiences than actual real live fans at stadiums 

Well TBF the NRL does quite well with a massive TV audience while they get 6k rattling around the SFS

28 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

They are not "only interested", but I can certainly see the sentiment - it has been supercharged over the past 5 years with the stadium redevelopment.

Despite this, Leeds still get more "actual real live fans at stadiums" than anyone else too.

21 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

They are not "only interested", but I can certainly see the sentiment - it has been supercharged over the past 5 years with the stadium redevelopment.

Despite this, Leeds still get more "actual real live fans at stadiums" than anyone else too.

At the moment yes, but the downward trajectory hasn’t stopped yet so hopefully they’ll be able to do the before attendances drop below Saints or Wire’s. I would absolutely love to see Wigan and Leeds averaging 15-16k each again, would be great for the game. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Eddie said:

At the moment yes, but the downward trajectory hasn’t stopped yet so hopefully they’ll be able to do the before attendances drop below Saints or Wire’s. I would absolutely love to see Wigan and Leeds averaging 15-16k each again, would be great for the game. 

Leeds were averaging 14-15k steadily but the stadium redevelopment in 2018 meant a drop to 12,500, I think well be back up to 14k-15k again this season Theres not really been a downward trajectory as such because you have to take into account the redevelopment 

Edited by Chrispmartha

6 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

The Roosters are the only team who used the old SFS/Allianz recently & they averaged anywhere between 12-17,000,not sure where he gets the 6k from.

Indeed, iirc in the last normal season only one team (St George) averaged in 5 figures. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Which NRL teams get 6k? 

None.....100% definately none that have regular home games at Stadium Australia, as SFS hasn't been  rebuilt and reopened yet has it?....but since Stadium Australia got 85k capacity 15k through the gate seems like less than 6k 😂

• Like 1