Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Dave I'm from Leeds, Rugby means 13 men and a Rhino mascot.

I'm with you, but your statement is just wrong. 

It's like claiming the Saints v Catalans game at Old Trafford was the biggest Rugby crowd in the Northern Hemisphere last year. 😆

It's not important, I just found your wording odd. 

• Confused 1

Just now, Dave T said:

I'm with you, but your statement is just wrong. 

It's like claiming the Saints v Catalans game at Old Trafford was the biggest Rugby crowd in the Northern Hemisphere last year. 😆

It's not important, I just found your wording odd. 

Apologies I'll use Rugby League from now on... for me though it is Rugby and Union.

And still, Leeds are the biggest Rugby League club by those metrics

Just now, Tommygilf said:

Apologies I'll use Rugby League from now on... for me though it is Rugby and Union.

And still, Leeds are the biggest Rugby League club by those metrics

Rugby includes RL and Union, our personal preferences just complicate it. Its yawnion for me, and I'm well aware that's childish. 

And I agree Leeds are the biggest RL club in the country. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

And anyone saying otherwise should be handed an immediate lifetime ban.

12,500 announced at Wigan. Pretty reasonable in this weather, particular given how many home fans travel from further afield. Not the weather for an Ellgren shellsuit. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

Not for the first time, a February season start is coinciding with the worst weather of the winter.

Surely, only the truly committed are turning out.

Geographically, my nearest team are York. Their second most attractive home game of the regular season is on Sunday, against Leigh. I'd pencilled it in as one to watch. But the weather forecast says 80 per cent chance of heavy rain and winds approaching 50mph. I doubt I'll bother.

4 coaches from Leigh coming on Sunday , so expect to double that with cars , around 4/500 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

But that's the hand that Super League has to deal with. It's not an excuse

SL clubs get a massive slice of their income from TV. You can't then use the TV schedule as an excuse for lower than anticipated crowds. You've got to find a way to get crowds in. 

I'm not picking on Leeds, because this is something we hear from most SL clubs. Even Leigh fans are doing it now because they have to play a couple of games on Mondays.

'We would get bigger crowds if we could have all our games when it suits us' (whether it is Friday night or Sunday afternoons).

Well, you know what - he who pays the piper calls the tune.

And if the Piper is playing for free ? 😉

25 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

And anyone saying otherwise should be handed an immediate lifetime ban.

12,500 announced at Wigan. Pretty reasonable in this weather, particular given how many home fans travel from further afield. Not the weather for an Ellgren shellsuit. 

That is a bloody excellent crowd. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Quite a few going on the train too no doubt. 

Trains are on strike on Sunday so my mrs and I are getting the train on Saturday instead and back on Monday. I live in Leigh yet can drive quicker to Newton-le-Willows station than the other side of town (albeit I’ll be driving straight from the Bolton game). 👍 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Trains are on strike on Sunday so my mrs and I are getting the train on Saturday instead and back on Monday. I live in Leigh yet can drive quicker to Newton-le-Willows station than the other side of town (albeit I’ll be driving straight from the Bolton game). 👍 

Starting off the weekend depressed are we Matt ? 😉

On 17/02/2022 at 12:41, The Rocket said:

You`d have to think all the T.V. coverage the game is getting, especially if the FTA stuff keeps up and continues to look as good as everyone is reporting, then it will have a positive impact on crowd figures. 

Now the NRL is partners with news corp you'd think it will. They have what they wanted and now its good for both for the game to grow.

1 hour ago, Whippet13 said:

Ellgren are the current Leigh kit supplier. No connection to the old business that I am aware of, apart from the comnapny name and logo.

Indeed. Garry Schofield’ son bought the rights to the name and logo. They are doing quite a few of the kits in the Championship this year. 

9 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It was interesting that the commentators said Wigan were expecting around 8k at the match. I was pleasantly surprised whnthe game started, I thought it looked decent. 

Yep Wigan's next home game is on a Thursday (and not even televised). Seems an odd decision unless the stadium management have stopped them playing Friday? Shame they can't build on the momentum they have with a regular day fixture.

9 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Yep Wigan's next home game is on a Thursday (and not even televised). Seems an odd decision unless the stadium management have stopped them playing Friday? Shame they can't build on the momentum they have with a regular day fixture.

Latics playing on Saturday against Sunderland so yes looks that way. Surprised Wigan didn’t ask for an away fixture that weekend. Presumably Sunday would have been awkward with Latics at home again on Tuesday. 

14 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Leeds are without doubt the biggest Rugby club in Britain by any metric.

You have to wonder if Channel 4 had chosen either Birmingham or Greater Manchester ( the two other main candidates I believe ) as the home of their new national headquarters over Leeds whether a) this new partnership with Rugby League may have even happened, or b) even if it did, it would have the same resonance for C4 what with Leeds having a high profile Rugby League team.

C4 would have chosen Leeds for many reasons but certainly one of them would have been that it is a city with associated city infrastructure and thus it follows the value of having Rugby League teams in cities where such things are more likely to occur will always be an advantage.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Leeds are without doubt the biggest Rugby club in Britain by any metric.

Do attendances count as a metric? Just asking, not looking for an argument  

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/leicester-tigers-top-attendance-tables-1570510.amp&ved=2ahUKEwjUjqDh24v2AhUJHcAKHZnKDpcQFnoECCwQAQ&usg=AOvVaw10sW4jQkVyH2gYyt7mZ2np

14 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

You have to wonder if Channel 4 had chosen either Birmingham or Greater Manchester ( the two other main candidates I believe ) as the home of their new national headquarters over Leeds whether a) this new partnership with Rugby League may have even happened, or b) even if it did, it would have the same resonance for C4 what with Leeds having a high profile Rugby League team.

C4 would have chosen Leeds for many reasons but certainly one of them would have been that it is a city with associated city infrastructure and thus it follows the value of having Rugby League teams in cities where such things are more likely to occur will always be an advantage.

There is certainly an advantage to being in the places where things are happening. One of the major problems RL in the UK has in my opinion is that we aren't strong enough in culturally influential places.