Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)

2 hours ago, HawkMan said:

No doubt MOTD tonight will reveal swathes of empty seats, the weather of course. 

This is a fair comparison with a sport that could sell out many of its games multiple times and where people have paid a lot more for the tickets.

If the capacity at Hull or Wigan was 4,000 I don't think there'd have been many empty seats either.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

This is a fair comparison with a sport that could sell out many of its games multiple times and where people have paid a lot more for the tickets.

If the capacity at Hull or Wigan was 4,000 I don't think there'd have been many empty seats either.

Perfectly put. Demand for a Man Utd game could be 20% lower and it could still sell out. 

But one thing I have noticed, we are seeing more empty seats at football games nowadays.

31 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Perfectly put. Demand for a Man Utd game could be 20% lower and it could still sell out. 

But one thing I have noticed, we are seeing more empty seats at football games nowadays.

Football is still obviously in a very healthy position, but I do wonder if it is sewing the seeds of its own eventual decline. I was surprised to hear that Tottenham on average have 8000 empty seats.

It's almost like they've built their whole structure on the idea of perpetual growth, that will inevitably come to an end and in all likelihood already has.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Football is still obviously in a very healthy position, but I do wonder if it is sewing the seeds of its own eventual decline. I was surprised to hear that Tottenham on average have 8000 empty seats.

It's almost like they've built their whole structure on the idea of perpetual growth, that will inevitably come to an end and in all likelihood already has.

Loads of my mates (and me) have lost interest in football over the last few years, it’s so money orientated it just doesn’t appeal any more. In fact I’d love to see the bubble burst, nobody needs the money they earn it’s obscene. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Is that 8,000 seats they could sell or it is a mix of unsold and ones they have to keep empty for segregation?

I'd not heard they were struggling to sell out but, given costs, it wouldn't surprise me. A friend has been to quite a few European matches there because there are nearly always tickets available for those.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

11 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Is that 8,000 seats they could sell or it is a mix of unsold and ones they have to keep empty for segregation?

I'd not heard they were struggling to sell out but, given costs, it wouldn't surprise me. A friend has been to quite a few European matches there because there are nearly always tickets available for those.

Not sure, I watch a few YouTube football channels and it was in a video about empty seats at Man City.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AB Knight said:

A good 450-500 approx Leigh fans here at York, good effort given the conditions (and lack of train station in Leigh!).

D746A3F5-E972-448F-977F-CDAC8F9A898E.jpeg

There is a train station in. Leigh i will drive passed it tomorrow on my way home from Spain to Kent.

Its on the Tonbridge branch line:)

Paul

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dallas Mead said:

From which station? 😂

We got the train from Newton Le Willows but spotted the sticker on a bus stop while on the number 9 bus to the ground. In our defence, Leythers are irony impaired. 

We did at least mix it up and have a pint in the bowling alley pre match and the mini golf area post match. Certainly a creative (and seemingly popular) use of spare space in the stadium. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

Pre-match, I felt it would be about 2,000. York’s hard core 1,500 (very few ‘floaters’ on such a horrible day) plus 500 from Leigh.

That’s decent isn’t it, I bet York City don’t get many more than that? 

11 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Back to same level York got vs Leigh pre-covid. If York go well they may be pushing the 2000 average again, boosted by some targeted games. 

2411 average so far, pre Covid our last full season was 2025. With warmer weather eventually on its way and the visit of your good selves (usually biggest gate of the season) I’d be disappointed if by the end of the season the average doesn’t break 2500.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

2000 would be solid. Depends what state the bulls are in playoff wise but it´s normally around 4000. If Widnes stay on a role they might make for another good game. 

Halifax is usually a good crowd at York too. Do however think York will struggle to get a 4 figure crowd this Sunday in the cup.