Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)

13 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Loop fixtures are a whole new ball game and thread of their own. They arguably have a counter effect on attendance growth.

Oh yeah they’re dire, just tedious. I know why we don’t have a 14 team SL but from a spectator point of view it would be so much better. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I believe we did yes, even the construction capacity limitation aside.

Just checked: over 23,200 for Cas and couldn't find the KR crowd. The Cas crowd wouldn't fit inside Headingley now.

Yep that's a shame. I thought there was an opportunity to push the capacity back beyond 20k with the redevelopment but it looks like it is less now. 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Incredible isn’t it, that circa 10k more people would go because it was at Elland Rd. Cas must have taken more away fans for the occasion too. 

Yep. They did a lot of similar marketing stuff (called it "the clash" again) but with a bit less of an effort imo, at Headingley the following year and, as you say, got 10k less. Given the following I suspect Cas brought not far from 2 thirds of their full home attendance (5k plus).

If Leeds and Cas (or Wakey even) are to play 3 times a season, having the third at Elland Road surely would make sense as an "event game". It wouldn't work for every club in the competition, but it has some legs in it imo.

4 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Yep that's a shame. I thought there was an opportunity to push the capacity back beyond 20k with the redevelopment but it looks like it is less now. 

Sadly the development seems to have been entirely around making a really nice corporate suite and adding a rugby stadium around that.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Sadly the development seems to have been entirely around making a really nice corporate suite and adding a rugby stadium around that.

Yep. Guess the other side of the fence had a lot to do with that? That stand capacity on the rugby side has shrunk by 20% which is a shame. 

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

Yep. Guess the other side of the fence had a lot to do with that? That stand capacity on the rugby side has shrunk by 20% which is a shame. 

And they removed the media and that 20% of seats to go in the south stand on the opposite side, affecting that stand too.

I think the Rugby side are equal on the corporate expansion.

3 minutes ago, JonM said:

Four crowds of over 3000 in one round in the championship, suspect it's been quite a while since the second tier achieved that.

The fear of imminent nuclear apocalypse is driving people to do strange things.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, JonM said:

Four crowds of over 3000 in one round in the championship, suspect it's been quite a while since the second tier achieved that.

Yep impressive!

Round 20 2019

Toulouse v Bradford 3700, Toronto v Halifax 6,400, Fev v Leigh 3,100, Widnes v Rochdale 3,700

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Yep impressive!

Round 20 2019

Toulouse v Bradford 3700, Toronto v Halifax 6,400, Fev v Leigh 3,100, Widnes v Rochdale 3,700

Goes to show how little value TWP brought to the game, other than much bigger crowds than anyone else at the same level and enormous media exposure. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Goes to show how little value TWP brought to the game, other than much bigger crowds than anyone else at the same level and enormous media exposure. 

Yep funny how threads rarely get to 100-pages now either. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Leeds v Hull 11,552

Feels like that could have been worse on a Thursday in direct competition with LUFC. 

It looked a lower crowd, that new main stand doesn't look great does it? 

17 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Feels like that could have been worse on a Thursday in direct competition with LUFC. 

It looked a lower crowd, that new main stand doesn't look great does it? 

It feels like the stand was build as a corporate area first and stand second. Also, as someone else said, the move ticket holders to the South Stand during construction and many of them probably never returned.

It also could have more character and feel more like Leeds Rhinos. It feels like someone else's stand a little.

18 minutes ago, Scubby said:

It feels like the stand was build as a corporate area first and stand second. Also, as someone else said, the move ticket holders to the South Stand during construction and many of them probably never returned.

It also could have more character and feel more like Leeds Rhinos. It feels like someone else's stand a little.

I don't think that's by accident to be honest. 

I don't think it's unfair to say that the Leeds strategy seems to be focused on pushing a more premium offering (at least off the pitch), and to that extent, having fewer people paying more is probably a sign of success. I don't think Hetherington would lose sleep over the empty seats in the north stand if the restaurant upstairs was throwing out thousands of chicken dinners every matchday. 

7 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

I don't think that's by accident to be honest. 

I don't think it's unfair to say that the Leeds strategy seems to be focused on pushing a more premium offering (at least off the pitch), and to that extent, having fewer people paying more is probably a sign of success. I don't think Hetherington would lose sleep over the empty seats in the north stand if the restaurant upstairs was throwing out thousands of chicken dinners every matchday. 

I'm not sure success is having so many empty seats in their premium stand that faces the camera. 

I get the point you are making, and the premium offering should be applauded, we don't do enough of that in RL, but empty main stand seats are a challenge. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I'm not sure success is having so many empty seats in their premium stand that faces the camera. 

I get the point you are making, and the premium offering should be applauded, we don't do enough of that in RL, but empty main stand seats are a challenge. 

they should be selling those seats before considering opening the seats in south stand surely

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Scubby said:

On this point, I definitely agree, and I'm not sure why they went with the dark blue, which is at odds with the iconic seating area that was previously there and doesn't match what is in the stand behind the goals. 

I think what Leeds have been able to do with modernising their existing ground is outstanding, and all clubs should be applauded for improving facilities, but it is way off the way SKS describes it. 

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

they should be selling those seats before considering opening the seats in south stand surely

I suppose they are seen as different offerings. The South Stand may be the rowdier cheaper seats and the North the premium offering. I think its fine if they are positioned as different levels (I have no idea if they are), but whichever way it is, they have many, many empty seats facing the cameras. A problem not exclusive to Leeds, but one that is new at Leeds that they have created. 

33 minutes ago, Scubby said:

The stadium isn't the issue, what they have done to modernise an old stadium is fantastic IMO.

The issue is the fair being served up on the field, ever since the stadium has been renovated the team and performances have fallen well short of what had gone the previous 15+years.

If Leeds can get back to being anything like they should be there will be a difference in both atmosphere and attendances.

Also Thursday nights are terrible and we seem to have had non stop Thursday night games in crappy weather, unfortunately the first Friday night home game will be against Saints and if they don't change their attitude quickly it will be an utter embarrassment.

Ive said this on the Leeds forum but as a usually optimistic Rhinos fan Im really despondent at the moment

The performances on the field

The state of the pitch

The sub par Kit and apparel supplier pedalling cheap tat on sale every week

The Thursday nights in terrible weather (it was nice last night to be fair)

All are making life as Leeds supporter fairly miserable at the moment, a club the size of Leeds with the facilities they have should be doing better in every respect.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Spidey said:

The Southstand is the most popular stand, it would be commercial madness to close that before selling out the North Stand.

As I said above its not the stadium that's the issue.

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I suppose they are seen as different offerings. The South Stand may be the rowdier cheaper seats and the North the premium offering. I think its fine if they are positioned as different levels (I have no idea if they are), but whichever way it is, they have many, many empty seats facing the cameras. A problem not exclusive to Leeds, but one that is new at Leeds that they have created. 

The club can't run the risk of not selling as many tickets just to satisfy crowd spotters on TV, the South Stand is the go to stand at Leeds and there wasn't really an option to put the tv gantry on the other side due to it being a shared stand between corporate, the rugby and Cricket.

Moving the camera position won't solve the issue of falling attendances, the plan should be to fill that stand not hide it away

• Like 1