Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)

20 minutes ago, Damien said:

Do any other sports argue about crowds like RL fans?

Nothing like so much but soccer does have the classic, short and brutal, chant that I've not heard replicated in RL of:

"S**t ground, no fans ..."

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

54 minutes ago, Damien said:

Do any other sports argue about crowds like RL fans? In a matter of posts we go from an 1825 crowd looking creative on TV to looking more like 2500.

Barrow have been on a upward trajectory in terms of their crowds and I simply don't think they have reason to lie either way. I'm more than happy to give the club the benefit of the doubt on these things and an attendance does not equate to income so the actual attendance figure is pretty meaningless anyhow. 

In my experience football outside of the Premier League is even worse than RL for arguing about crowds. Man City, Arsenal etc get a lot of stick for claiming cup matches are a sell out when there's clearly thousands of empty seats though the tickets may have technically been "sold".

Edited by fevtom

2 minutes ago, fevtom said:

In my experience football outside of the Premier League is even worse than RL for arguing about crowds. Man City, Arsenal etc get a lot of stick for claiming cup matches are a sell out when there's clearly thousands of empty seats.

Most football clubs announced based on ticket sales, rather than turnstile clicks. It's probably more noticeable for cup games where fans are often compelled to buy tickets even if they don't attend. 

If anyone genuinely cares, they can put an FOI request into the local authority for actual attendance data (which clubs have to report for H&S reasons). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Most football clubs announced based on ticket sales, rather than turnstile clicks. It's probably more noticeable for cup games where fans are often compelled to buy tickets even if they don't attend. 

If anyone genuinely cares, they can put an FOI request into the local authority for actual attendance data (which clubs have to report for H&S reasons). 

I have absolutely nothing against including people that have paid but have chosen not to go. I think its a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

17 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Yeah I edited my post right after but you caught me first!

I think the problem with a lot of these huge clubs is that so many tickets end up with people who dont want them either through corporate tickets or, like you say, bought by those who might not actually attend. I can't imagine it's as much of an issue in Rugby League except for maybe season ticket holders missing the odd rainy Thursday night.

3 hours ago, Josef K said:

Just under 4,000 at the Salford match, i imagine they would’ve been hoping to reach 4,000 but the weather wouldn’t have helped so it was a decent effort.                  Did Wakey give out free tickets for school kids ?, I think they would have got a bigger gate only for the weather. 

Are RL fans complete fair weather supporters or did I miss some tropical storm that hit us over the weekend 

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Are RL fans complete fair weather supporters or did I miss some tropical storm that hit us over the weekend 

Not all but some, it also depends on the stadium. Modern grounds have covered areas all around the stadia. Sadly Wakey haven’t got the best facilities as of yet which would put me off from attending a match if the weather was bad. But they’re soon to have all that changed in the near future. I wouldn’t bother going too Leeds if i knew the weather was going to be bad, standing in the uncovered west terrace in the pouring rain is something i don’t want to do anymore. 

• Like 1

On a slightly related note, whilst I didn't go to the game, the timing of my son's swimming lesson meant that I managed to sample the Huddersfield Giants street food festival/fanzone at the weekend and, well, it was a little underwhelming. 

One burger van that couldn't serve chips because it had run out of electricity, one sweet stall and two blokes pumping pints of Strongbow - was this just a bad day, or is it not all that the promo videos on social media crack it up to be? 

4 hours ago, fevtom said:

Yeah I edited my post right after but you caught me first!

I think the problem with a lot of these huge clubs is that so many tickets end up with people who dont want them either through corporate tickets or, like you say, bought by those who might not actually attend. I can't imagine it's as much of an issue in Rugby League except for maybe season ticket holders missing the odd rainy Thursday night.

I know for cup games it has sometimes been a factor because I think some clubs (I'm sure Man Utd is/was one) have either a compulsory or opt-in "auto cup" policy that automatically charges you for a cup ticket if the team is drawn at home. I'm sure it's great to sign-up for Champions League semis or a home FA Cup quarter final, but less appealing for those third-round Carabao cup games against Burton and Crewe. 

Arsenal also got a lot of stick for the attendances they quotes during the height of the 'Wenger out' movement. 

8 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

I know for cup games it has sometimes been a factor because I think some clubs (I'm sure Man Utd is/was one) have either a compulsory or opt-in "auto cup" policy that automatically charges you for a cup ticket if the team is drawn at home. I'm sure it's great to sign-up for Champions League semis or a home FA Cup quarter final, but less appealing for those third-round Carabao cup games against Burton and Crewe. 

Arsenal also got a lot of stick for the attendances they quotes during the height of the 'Wenger out' movement. 

It’s a long way from Essex for a midweek Carabao cup 2nd round game vs Crewe. 

These are the average attendances I have for the season so far:

St Helens 13196
Leeds Rhinos 12114
Wigan Warriors 11433
Hull FC 11377
Castleford Tigers 10286
Warrington Wolves 8882
Hull Kingston Rovers 7806
Catalans Dragons 7552
Huddersfield Giants 5714
Toulouse Olympique 5197
Wakefield Trinity 5180
Salford Red Devils 3977

Featherstone Rovers 3695
Bradford Bulls 3668
Widnes Vikings 3523
Leigh Centurions 3030
York City Knights 2411
Dewsbury Rams 1863
Barrow Raiders 1836
Halifax Panthers 1740
London Broncos 1499
Batley Bulldogs 1384
Whitehaven 1280
Workington Town 1106
Newcastle Thunder 679
Sheffield Eagles N/A

Just one figure missing for Workington v Sheffield.
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 5

8 hours ago, Damien said:

Do any other sports argue about crowds like RL fans? In a matter of posts we go from an 1825 crowd looking creative on TV to looking more like 2500.

Barrow have been on a upward trajectory in terms of their crowds and I simply don't think they have reason to lie either way. I'm more than happy to give the club the benefit of the doubt on these things and an attendance does not equate to income so the actual attendance figure is pretty meaningless anyhow. 

We do have a number of “professional” crowd counters on this forum

1 hour ago, fevtom said:

St Helens 13196
Leeds Rhinos 12114
Wigan Warriors 11433
Hull FC 11377
Castleford Tigers 10286
Warrington Wolves 8882
Catalans Dragons 7552
Huddersfield Giants 5714
Toulouse Olympique 5197
Wakefield Trinity 5180
Salford Red Devils 3977

Featherstone Rovers 3695
Bradford Bulls 3668
Widnes Vikings 3523
Leigh Centurions 3030
York City Knights 2411
Dewsbury Rams 1863
Barrow Raiders 1836
Halifax Panthers 1740
London Broncos 1499
Batley Bulldogs 1384
Whitehaven 1280
Workington Town 1106
Newcastle Thunder 679
Sheffield Eagles N/A

Very impressive for only one championship side to be in three figures. Compares favourably to the Union championship’s average of 1,276. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Don’t give ‘em ideas. There are some people on here who’d actually do that 😂

• Haha 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

8 hours ago, fevtom said:

St Helens 13196
Leeds Rhinos 12114
Wigan Warriors 11433
Hull FC 11377
Castleford Tigers 10286
Warrington Wolves 8882
Catalans Dragons 7552
Huddersfield Giants 5714
Toulouse Olympique 5197
Wakefield Trinity 5180
Salford Red Devils 3977

Featherstone Rovers 3695
Bradford Bulls 3668
Widnes Vikings 3523
Leigh Centurions 3030
York City Knights 2411
Dewsbury Rams 1863
Barrow Raiders 1836
Halifax Panthers 1740
London Broncos 1499
Batley Bulldogs 1384
Whitehaven 1280
Workington Town 1106
Newcastle Thunder 679
Sheffield Eagles N/A

Excellent work that FevTom, keep it up please. I might want Fev to go up now with your sterling effort. 
I think the top five best supported clubs in the SL at the end of the season will be. 

1. Leeds 

2. Wigan

3. Saints 

4. Hull 

5. Wire

3 hours ago, Josef K said:

Excellent work that FevTom, keep it up please. I might want Fev to go up now with your sterling effort. 
I think the top five best supported clubs in the SL at the end of the season will be. 

1. Leeds 

2. Wigan

3. Saints 

4. Hull 

5. Wire

Wigan ahead of Saints? With Leeds going backwards I think Saints could end up top, not nailed on at all but 2/1 maybe. 

12 hours ago, fevtom said:

St Helens 13196
Leeds Rhinos 12114
Wigan Warriors 11433
Hull FC 11377
Castleford Tigers 10286
Warrington Wolves 8882
Catalans Dragons 7552
Huddersfield Giants 5714
Toulouse Olympique 5197
Wakefield Trinity 5180
Salford Red Devils 3977

Featherstone Rovers 3695
Bradford Bulls 3668
Widnes Vikings 3523
Leigh Centurions 3030
York City Knights 2411
Dewsbury Rams 1863
Barrow Raiders 1836
Halifax Panthers 1740
London Broncos 1499
Batley Bulldogs 1384
Whitehaven 1280
Workington Town 1106
Newcastle Thunder 679
Sheffield Eagles N/A

This is one table I’m confident Leeds will finish top off, once we finally get some home games on a Friday instead of midweek.

The premier sports tv deal doesn’t seem to have been the death of the Championship many Leigh and Featherstone were predicting.

A guess at this wks attendances 

Wigan/Cas 9,200

Catalans/HKR 7,900

Salford/Leeds 3,200

Toulouse/Saints 5,000

Wire/Wakey 8,400

Hull/Huddersfield 10.100. 
“Championship” Worky/Bulls 1,700.
Barrow/London 1,600. 
Batley/Fev 1,800.

Dews/Newc 750. 
Whaven/Sheff 800. 
York/Widnes 2,000. 
Fax/Leigh 1,800. 

11 hours ago, Josef K said:

A guess at this wks attendances 

Wigan/Cas 9,200

Catalans/HKR 7,900

Salford/Leeds 3,200

Toulouse/Saints 5,000

Wire/Wakey 8,400

Hull/Huddersfield 10.100. 
“Championship” Worky/Bulls 1,700.
Barrow/London 1,600. 
Batley/Fev 1,800.

Dews/Newc 750. 
Whaven/Sheff 800. 
York/Widnes 2,000. 
Fax/Leigh 1,800. 

That bad for Wigan, Salford and Warrington? I hope you’re wrong mate. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

That bad for Wigan, Salford and Warrington? I hope you’re wrong mate. 

I think he may be right with Wire, a risk of lower. 

The Wakey game is often low and its the Channel 4 Saturday lunch game, and Wire have once again made zero visible effort apart from some cheap tickets again. 

13 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The Wakey game is often low and its the Channel 4 Saturday lunch game, and Wire have once again made zero visible effort apart from some cheap tickets again. 

It's been pretty disappointing seeing Wire's efforts so far. Everything is in place at the club for it to be averaging 10k+ 

49 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I’ve seen plenty of adverts around town, what are you wanting them to do?

44 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I’ve seen plenty of adverts around town, what are you wanting them to do?

I don't live or work in Wire so have seen nowt, their online presence for this game is pretty much limited to advertising a ticket offer. That's it. 

It mentions there is pre-match entertainment, but nothing about it. Nothing at all about the event. 

I hope they are working hard selling tickets behind the scenes, but they did a ticket offer for the Catalans game and got a low crowd too. 

We've seen some other clubs making a real effort and getting the rewards for it.