Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)

I'm not saying they should neglect crowds. No spectator sport should. They also provide the backdrop quite obviously for the spectacle.

However, the crowds won't reach 25% of the total when the NRL receives $2 billion or so from rights.

"There has never been a Challenge Cup semifinal of 65,000 either individually or combined" - Damien

17 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Not sure of the crowd at Hull but there was only the stand to our left that was anything like remotely busy, the other were very sparse (and no not the chip variety).

Hull FC SL home games are nearly always of the 10,000 and a few hundred variety.

Not sure you can describe the crowds in the South and West stands as "very sparse", that would indicate odd fans here and there which is clearly incorrect.

The East Stand holds 6,000 and around a quarter of it looked shut off to me yesterday, so there were probably around 4-4.5K in there. The South Stand holds 4,000 so I would estimate around 3-3.5K in there and the West Stand lower holds 6,000 so it would probably have been half full yesterday.

The North Stand holds around 4,000 and there were probably 250-300 Huddersfield fans in there as a rather generous estimate....now the speccies in that stand certainly could be described as "very sparse"...🤔😛

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

4 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Hull FC SL home games are nearly always of the 10,000 and a few hundred variety.

Not sure you can describe the crowds in the South and West stands as "very sparse", that would indicate odd fans here and there which is clearly incorrect.

The East Stand holds 6,000 and around a quarter of it looked shut off to me yesterday, so there were probably around 4-4.5K in there. The South Stand holds 4,000 so I would estimate around 3-3.5K in there and the West Stand lower holds 6,000 so it would probably have been half full yesterday.

The North Stand holds around 4,000 and there were probably 250-300 Huddersfield fans in there as a rather generous estimate....now the speccies in that stand certainly could be described as "very sparse"...🤔😛

I think the attendance was 10,600 or so, according to Twitter

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

The South across from us was very unnocupied, especially the sides and lower part and the away end at Hull will always be sparse due to our lack of numbers added to the high price of tickets and the ridiculous experience of actually trying to get into the stadium, those stewards could definitely get a job at Humberside international security.

The whole experience of going to Hull is just not a pleasant one for our fans so it will always be the hardcore away fans no matter how well the team are doing or not, it's just not a welcoming place to visit as an away fan, our experiences of the last few years has always been made to feel like we are not welcome and are the dregs of society for supporting the away team.

Edited by daz39

7 minutes ago, daz39 said:

The South across from us was very unnocupied, especially the sides and lower part and the away end at Hull will always be sparse due to our lack of numbers added to the high price of tickets and the ridiculous experience of actually trying to get into the stadium, those stewards could definitely get a job at Humberside international security.

The whole experience of going to Hull is just not a pleasant one for our fans so it will always be the hardcore away fans no matter how well the team are doing or not, it's just not a welcoming place to visit as an away fan, our experiences of the last few years has always been made to feel like we are not welcome and are the dregs of society for supporting the away team.

Indeed, you often raise the stewarding issue and my good self and Ullman nearly always point out that this is nothing to do with Hull FC as the SMC employs an agency to do the stewarding. I'm guessing they steward it as though it was a football game so that might explain their suspicions about away fans.

• Like 1
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

To follow up on my criticism of Wire. 

I went with a group of 5 of us, 1 newbie who loved it. Despite Wire losing we all had a really good time, we have a great sport, very good facilities and a nice atmosphere around the place. The match being played in the sun certainly helped. 

But there were quite a few things that typified Wire's effort levels right now. 

My 5 year old loves Wolfie, she is looking for him from the second she enters the ground. The club had sold family tickets dirt cheap, so there will have been a lot of kids going, maybe for the first time. No Wolfie. At all. Nothing else in the arena that appealed to kids that I saw, the pre match just had background music, announcements and the dancers came out but I didn't see a routine or anything. They did have some facepaibters in the concourses and some plate spinning which the kids enjoyed. 

The tuck shop selling sweets, candy floss, Popcorn etc a few years ago has gone. The snacks are just walkers Crisps etc and don't cater for kids really. 

The concourses had every TV switched off. Why was the game not on? Why not show you what is happening on the pitch? Why have TVs if you can't be assed switching them on. Lack of effort. 

I went to the bar, huge queue at the slightly better bar (San Miguel), so I went to another. After queing I got told that they didn't have the better beer (Poretti), and I'd have to have Carlsberg. I also couldn't have a Hot Chocolate as they had none. 

These are really minor points, but for me they all add up. The little frustrations and bits of disappointment all combine to make an experience that is nowhere near perfect. 

But the overwhelming feeling I was left with was that the club is making no effort. 

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Indeed, you often raise the stewarding issue and my good self and Ullman nearly always point out that this is nothing to do with Hull FC as the SMC employs an agency to do the stewarding. I'm guessing they steward it as though it was a football game so that might explain their suspicions about away fans.

Fair enough although i said the experience i didn't actually say it was the clubs fault, obviously making complaints won't make a difference as as you say the club will pass it on and the stadium management will either throw it in the bin or justify their stupid policies, which were proved incorrect anyway after by a more senior steward.

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

My 5 year old loves Wolfie, she is looking for him from the second she enters the ground. The club had sold family tickets dirt cheap, so there will have been a lot of kids going, maybe for the first time. No Wolfie. At all. Nothing else in the arena that appealed to kids that I saw, the pre match just had background music, announcements and the dancers came out but I didn't see a routine or anything. They did have some facepaibters in the concourses and some plate spinning which the kids enjoyed. 

A child`s experience of being part of a cheering, booing mass of people would largely be the thrill itself, other entertainments specifically aimed at children would be a bonus, but would only be of peripheral value to the experience of being in animated crowd itself. Especially when you consider that what 5 - 10 000 people seems to you is completely different to what it would seem like to a child. In fact an experience they are likely to want to treat their children to one day in the future which is probably the point of the whole exercise.

8 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

A child`s experience of being part of a cheering, booing mass of people would largely be the thrill itself, other entertainments specifically aimed at children would be a bonus, but would only be of peripheral value to the experience of being in animated crowd itself. Especially when you consider that what 5 - 10 000 people seems to you is completely different to what it would seem like to a child. In fact an experience they are likely to want to treat their children to one day in the future which is probably the point of the whole exercise.

Hmm, I'm not sure I agree with your first line (and I am referring to the young kids here, my daughter is 5). The things she enjoyed was going to the shop to look at the toy wolfies and buy a Wire shirt, playing in the concourses, having food and drink, getting her face painted, pointing out the flame machines and the dancers. Once the noise started she covered her ears 

I think your point is right once they get a bit older, the atmosphere is certainly an attraction, but even older kids are attracted to the entertainment elements. 

If we think a large noisy crowd attracts 4 to 6 year old then I think we are barking up the wrong tree. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Hmm, I'm not sure I agree with your first line (and I am referring to the young kids here, my daughter is 5). The things she enjoyed was going to the shop to look at the toy wolfies and buy a Wire shirt, playing in the concourses, having food and drink, getting her face painted, pointing out the flame machines and the dancers. Once the noise started she covered her ears 

I think your point is right once they get a bit older, the atmosphere is certainly an attraction, but even older kids are attracted to the entertainment elements. 

If we think a large noisy crowd attracts 4 to 6 year old then I think we are barking up the wrong tree. 

Just out of interest.  What position were you in the stand?  Lower down, nearer the pitch, or to the back, furthest away?

8 hours ago, RL Sonja said:

I'm not saying they should neglect crowds. No spectator sport should. They also provide the backdrop quite obviously for the spectacle.

However, the crowds won't reach 25% of the total when the NRL receives $2 billion or so from rights.

Well for NRL clubs in Sydney, none of the club revenue would include the millions in turnover generated by match day attendances utilising the respective leagues club facilities both pre and post match. Those leagues clubs then distribute further funding to the club as their constitution will allow. So for me, in the NRL, live match day experience is still just as important as television distributions, with more room to improve.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Yep, I agree totally. Entertainment for targeted new audiences must include supplementary options for those up to 5, maybe even a little older. All the things you say, jumping castle, passing/kicking challenges, face painting, mascots, cheerleaders, show bags and other kids merch really are mandatory in my mind if you are to entice the whole family on a regular basis.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

Just out of interest.  What position were you in the stand?  Lower down, nearer the pitch, or to the back, furthest away?

Seated behind the goals, halfway up. Technically the family stand. 

2 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

It's the only ground where some of the employees/stewards feel the need to apologise for doing their job, some of them clearly don't want to have to be so excessive but as Daz said it's a really unwelcoming environment.