Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)

40 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Things not going quite so well for the away sales. On sale this morning (what have they been waiting for?) and comments suggest it is hard going.

Fans just getting voicemail apparently, and the mailbox is full. 🤣

I really don't understand why we are not using online ticket systems with queues for this stuff now. 

13 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Fans just getting voicemail apparently, and the mailbox is full. 🤣

I really don't understand why we are not using online ticket systems with queues for this stuff now. 

Yeah no obvious reason why online is not the default for everyone besides the small number who need additional support.

• Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

If you look a little deeper, there’s a little more to it. Away tickets have previously always been sold by the (stadium) ticket office and associated infrastructure with queued telephone lines, extra staff and online service. For whatever reason, Wigan RL have decided that away games will now only be sold via their club shop at Robin Park (with no queued telephone lines, fewer staff and no online service) rather than the stadium ticket office. Probably not an issue for most games in a season, but it’s a brave decision to make game one Saints away when it was already clear tickets would be in short supply!

14 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

If you look a little deeper, there’s a little more to it. Away tickets have previously always been sold by the (stadium) ticket office and associated infrastructure with queued telephone lines, extra staff and online service. For whatever reason, Wigan RL have decided that away games will now only be sold via their club shop at Robin Park (with no queued telephone lines, fewer staff and no online service) rather than the stadium ticket office. Probably not an issue for most games in a season, but it’s a brave decision to make game one Saints away when it was already clear tickets would be in short supply!

First Good Friday derby in three years with a full capacity, it’s stupidity to not have them on sale online. 

9 hours ago, Jughead said:

First Good Friday derby in three years with a full capacity, it’s stupidity to not have them on sale online. 

Are Wigan now the only SL  club not to sell away tickets online? It's a rather  primitive approach to things.

• Like 1

I've done a piece for the first six rounds of 2022. It does include derrières on seats but it's not all about attendances. However, rather than start a new topic, I though I'd tuck it in here.  

https://rugbyl.blogspot.com/2022/03/super-league-uk-rounds-1-6-2022.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

17 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Fine for people who live in Wigan and don’t work during ticket office opening hours. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Catalan worrying but six nations out of way and restrictions and a derby to come. 

On a Catalan forum, they are concerned about attendances. The consensus seems to be that fewer English fans traveling over has hurt. Has the club reached its saturation within the Perpignan region? Also, some who traveled to watch the Catalans now have Toulouse as an option if they want to watch a SL match. 

• Like 3

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

3 minutes ago, RayCee said:

On a Catalan forum, they are concerned about attendances. The consensus seems to be that fewer English fans traveling over has hurt. Has the club reached its saturation within the Perpignan region? Also, some who traveled to watch the Catalans now have Toulouse as an option if they want to watch a SL match. 

Some of their home games have had Covid restrictions, some have had bad weather. Let's see how they are doing later in the season.

Giving them a derby on a Thursday night is a real stinker! We don't help ourselves. France don't even have Good Friday as a public holiday.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, RayCee said:

There is a certain irony in this. 

In all seriousness though Catalans crowds do seem to be affected by seasonality a bit more than UK clubs, so hopefully we will see some improvements. 

The French attendances seem to boost when the domestic league is over, not sure if there is a direct correlation.

Catalan always had a max saturation point and for me that is why they were chosen over other bids (toulouse being one) in that they could be a big club but not bigger than the status quo at the top of SL.

I hope we don't end up with another hull situation in that Hull fc were competing at the top end of SL and then kr got promoted and we now have 2 middle run SL clubs, probably due to market saturation for fans and players. This is always dressed up as a positive though due to the 2 Derby games.

On 25/03/2022 at 00:28, yipyee said:

I hope we don't end up with another hull situation in that Hull fc were competing at the top end of SL and then kr got promoted and we now have 2 middle run SL clubs, probably due to market saturation for fans and players. This is always dressed up as a positive though due to the 2 Derby games.

I'm not from Hull but I'm willing to bet that absolutely isn't how the Hull sporting market works. 

Like so many before who strategise mergers and shuffle around phantom clubs to play in new cities in front of phantom fans you are trying to overlay a rational consumer model onto a very mature sporting market. And fundamentally fail, as all these things do, to understand what really motivates the consumer of sports - it isn't like choosing which of two supermarkets you go to and if a new one opens the existing one loses half its customers. That's ridiculous.

In short - Hull FC being chronically bad for a long time isn't due to Hull KR being promoted.

• Like 4

As i forgot to do my Guess The Attendance I’ll do the games that haven’t played yet. 
Whitehaven 14 - 42 Saints att 4,374

Eagles 8 - 52 Hull att 1,785

HKR 24 - 16 Leigh att 2,879

Catalans 38 - 10 Fev att 3,000

Leeds 18 - 12 Cas att 6,950

Wolves 18  v 8 Wakey att 3987

Barrow 14 v 40 Huddersfield att 3,098.. 

3 hours ago, Josef K said:

As i forgot to do my Guess The Attendance I’ll do the games that haven’t played yet. 

Probably about right for the Championship hosted games, but surely a couple of thousand light on each of the SL hosted ones? I hope so, let's see. 

5 hours ago, Josef K said:

I love how you don’t round even round them up to 10, let alone 100, other than Catalans. 

• Haha 1

On 24/03/2022 at 23:28, yipyee said:

The French attendances seem to boost when the domestic league is over, not sure if there is a direct correlation.

Catalan always had a max saturation point and for me that is why they were chosen over other bids (toulouse being one) in that they could be a big club but not bigger than the status quo at the top of SL.

Do you really think TO can be bigger than Leeds, Wigan and Saints?  Also I bet SL would give their right arm for another club as big as Hull or Hull KR. 

7 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

Probably about right for the Championship hosted games, but surely a couple of thousand light on each of the SL hosted ones? I hope so, let's see. 

I only picked 1,700 at Sheffield with them having to play at away from the city. I also can’t see many turning up at the Wire match.