Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)

4 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Then open draw but include tickets in Season Tickets.Ā  We cant have games on BBC or TV partners looking dross.

Ā 

it was noted by one of the Canadian posters (remember them?) that CFL include play offs onto their season ticket. And if they do not qualify the money was transferred back or including in the next season ST. (Personally in this scenario, I'd keep the money, put it in a RL bond and share it every decade or so)

There are multiple alternatives - free kids, discounting, targeted or otherwise. Better even if there was corporate unity and whatever deal was done by every club each round.

Maybe even having Big Weekend style events for each round. The semis at Bolton are effectively that.

Something can be done and should be.

Ā 

Edited by idrewthehaggis

16 minutes ago, Jughead said:

2,627 is frankly disgraceful for a club like Warrington. Iā€™d be surprised if they had many crowds lower than that at the HJ.Ā 

CC is an optional extra for fans. Given rise in prices, the weather, and Mothers Day - and the fact that you can watch most games for free, many SL fans are chasing to save their money. You can hardly blame them (us).

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Its all in the same sphere.Ā 

Knock out games used to be the biggest draws in sport, now its not so much.

The FA Cup got overtaken by qualifying for the European cups though, RL doesnā€™t have that, the CC is still the second best thing to win and the vast majority of clubsā€™ only chance of success. I love knock out cups, maybe showing my age there though.Ā 

WThe appeal seems to be around going to places SL don't usually get to go to/playing a SL team. Why are we not doing more with that?

Just seed the earlier rounds and have the lower league side guaranteed home advantage. SL sides at home have terrible crowds in the cup, it always feels like a negative.

• Like 2
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

10 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Seen reports of sub 6k at Headingley yesterday

Ā 

2 hours ago, bratman said:

The Challange Cup lost its appeal years ago, the Grand Final is now the bigger event for fans IMO.

Crowds for the 2019 were pretty rubbish so no surprise they still are now, e.g. for 2019 QFs:

Hullcolours.svgĀ Hull F.C. 51ā€“8 Catalanscolours.svgĀ Catalans Dragons 30 May 2019, 19:35 KCOM Stadium Ben Thaler 4,832
HKRcolours.svgĀ Hull KR 22ā€“28 Wolvescolours.svgĀ Warrington Wolves 31 May 2019, 19:35 KCOM Craven Park Robert Hicks 3,311
Saintscolours.svgĀ St. Helens 48ā€“10 Wcatscolours.svgĀ Wakefield Trinity 1 June 2019, 15:15 Totally Wicked Stadium Chris Kendall 6,453
Bullscolours.svgĀ Bradford Bulls 16ā€“20 Faxcolours.svgĀ Halifax 2 June 2019, 14:45 Odsal Stadium Scott Mikalauskus 6,591

Ā 

49 minutes ago, Jughead said:

2,627 is frankly disgraceful for a club like Warrington. Iā€™d be surprised if they had many crowds lower than that at the HJ.Ā 

The Cup needs to be played in 4 groups with the winner of each group going straight to the semi final, then games can be sold as part of the season ticket package. Empty stadiums on prime time bbc free to air tv is a terrible advertisement for the game.

39 minutes ago, Eddie said:

The FA Cup got overtaken by qualifying for the European cups though, RL doesnā€™t have that, the CC is still the second best thing to win and the vast majority of clubsā€™ only chance of success. I love knock out cups, maybe showing my age there though.Ā 

It got overtaken by the League too, and European cup games don't always sell out either.Ā 

I think this is as much about buying habits as product.Ā 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

It got overtaken by the League too, and European cup games don't always sell out either.Ā 

I think this is as much about buying habits as product.Ā 

Yes - I think you are right

58 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

WThe appeal seems to be around going to places SL don't usually get to go to/playing a SL team. Why are we not doing more with that?

Just seed the earlier rounds and have the lower league side guaranteed home advantage. SL sides at home have terrible crowds in the cup, it always feels like a negative.

So SL team plays SL team - 3,000 people turn up. SL team plays Championship team away, half those 3,000 fans travel and join 4,000 fans (unless its London Broncos).

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

The Cup needs to be played in 4 groups with the winner of each group going straight to the semi final, then games can be sold as part of the season ticket package. Empty stadiums on prime time bbc free to air tv is a terrible advertisement for the game.

I think nothing should be off the table.

Being out there, I'd suggest 4 groups of 5, 2 home games for each side, 12 Super League, 6 qualifiers from Championship + League 1, 2 qualifiers from Europe (Likely Elite 1).Ā 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Scubby said:

3135 at Barrow today. That is 50% higher than Barrow's average crowd

2627 at Warrington. That is 30% of Warrington's average crowd.Ā 

Are we missing a trick here somewhere?

Indeed and I can't imagine there were too many Giant's fans at Barrow either. The Cup adds supporters to non SL teams (including amateur teams) and subtracts it from SL ones.

2 hours ago, Jughead said:

Yep, there is no excuse. I think today was a tough sell, but that should lead to a disappointing 5 or 6k not 2.6k.

I assume this is the lowest ever competitive crowd for Wire at the HJ.Ā 

The idea of a manufactured draw of the twelve Super League teams being drawn away at lower ranked sides is a bit short-sighted. It doesnā€™t address the issues faced beyond that round when Super League clubs are then drawn at home and poor crowds persist. Youā€™d still need some form of incentive or initiative to get people through the turnstiles for the next couple of rounds.Ā 

Ā 

6 minutes ago, Jughead said:

The idea of a manufactured draw of the twelve Super League teams being drawn away at lower ranked sides is a bit short-sighted. It doesnā€™t address the issues faced beyond that round when Super League clubs are then drawn at home and poor crowds persist. Youā€™d still need some form of incentive or initiative to get people through the turnstiles for the next couple of rounds.Ā 

Ā 

I don't think its the only answer. Certainly including CC games in STs makes sense and would boost crowds.Ā 

Here's the thing...in the early rounds there's a real buzz (look at viewing figures on the BBC's red button) and that seems to fade away as the tournament proceeds and SL teams join (unless they are away to a non SL team). How do we keep the major alive?

56 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yep, there is no excuse. I think today was a tough sell, but that should lead to a disappointing 5 or 6k not 2.6k.

I assume this is the lowest ever competitive crowd for Wire at the HJ.Ā 

Or even at Wilderspool, other than during an extreme event such as an air raid or snow storm?Ā 

Just now, Eddie said:

Or even at Wilderspool, other than during an extreme event such as an air raid or snow storm?Ā 

Obviously we were at Wilderspool long before I was around so who knows, but I did see us play in front of low 3k's so we may have had fewer than that for some random cup games in the past. Not sure.Ā 

The only real way for CC to keep stay relevant and grow is as part of a true coming together of RFL and SL as part of the realignment.

ā€¢ Clubs need to lose SL as many loop fixtures as we can a so clubs arenā€™t playing the same sides 4/5 or more times a season in the cup.

ā€¢ SL come in one round earlier. I donā€™t think you need to fix the draw. This is the best round for David v Goliath stories, even if many will be big scores.

ā€¢ Season tickets need toĀ include CC matches. Not easy to do practically but there must be a way in terms of how ticket revenue is shared from the RFL.

SL need to realise or be convinced that the cup,Ā in the early rounds especially, is Ā not a burden on them but great for the health of the game and for new grounds for their supporters to visit etc

Ā 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

3135 at Barrow today. That is 50% higher than Barrow's average crowd

2627 at Warrington. That is 30% of Warrington's average crowd.Ā 

Are we missing a trick here somewhere?

Barrow are doing well- Barrow fans and people in Barrow turn out to support their side.

Warrington aren't doing well- Warrington fans and people of Warrington don't want to know if they're not winning.??