Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)

17 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Thanks. I’m surprised Rochdale’s was so low, all the others look ok though. 

I'm sure I read that Rochdale had a limit set of 950 for the game for some reason - limiting the crowd always puts some off, but still low

Skolars have lost around 100 fans over the last few seasons I’d guess. The move to Enfield was a factor but also reflection of decline of RL in London and results (although plenty of good performances). There was a real buzz a few seasons ago when it looked like we would get a significant investment but we’re now in survival mode.

I must admit although we have a couple of STs I’m not back into the every home match vibe post covid. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fevtom said:

853 - Swinton Lions v West Wales Raiders

815 - Oldham v Keighley Cougars

786 - Doncaster v Midlands Hurricanes

448 - Rochdale Hornets v North Wales Crusaders

287 - London Skolars v Hunslet

Looking back on League 1 history for comparison:

Swinton 2015 : 494 (I couldn't find all attendances). Looks good.

Oldham 2019 633; 2018 : 505. Up on those years.

Doncaster 2019 : 660; 2018 : 830. Fair result.

Rochdale 2016 : 518. Down a bit.

London 2019 : 439; 2018 381. Not good but EssexRL covered that.

The years shown are the last full year of crowds or the latest year in League 1.

Edited by RayCee
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

17 hours ago, meast said:

If that was Huddersfield they would be absolutely slaughtered for that.

17 hours ago, theswanmcr said:

The only real way for CC to keep stay relevant and grow is as part of a true coming together of RFL and SL as part of the realignment.

• Clubs need to lose SL as many loop fixtures as we can a so clubs aren’t playing the same sides 4/5 or more times a season in the cup.

• SL come in one round earlier. I don’t think you need to fix the draw. This is the best round for David v Goliath stories, even if many will be big scores.

• Season tickets need to include CC matches. Not easy to do practically but there must be a way in terms of how ticket revenue is shared from the RFL.

SL need to realise or be convinced that the cup, in the early rounds especially, is  not a burden on them but great for the health of the game and for new grounds for their supporters to visit etc

Adult consideration and some remedies.

I don't agree with SL clubs starting at the round of 32, but your arguments for it are valid.

I think it needs a whole approach that once agreed is stuck to for at least five years if not more. 

To digress, just booking around Easter and I can not believe that SRD are playing of all teams Catalan  Easter Monday. Hardly fair on our French cousins to be able to pop to Gtr Manchester and back on that day? Hardly going to boost SRD's averages?? 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Are Warrington not being called awful for that crowd?

If anything the people who I suspect you imagine would do the "slaughtering" probably assume that is the regular crowd at Huddersfield anyway.

Yes but then people are allowing mitigating circumstances for it, yet Huddersfield aren't allowed those same circumstances.

Anyway, the bigger picture is how do we get people to attend cup games? Super league fans and fans of the so called elite clubs have seemingly rendered the cup as not worth bothering with, how does the sport fix that?

2 hours ago, RayCee said:

Looking back on League 1 history for comparison:

Swinton 2015 : 494 (I couldn't find all attendances). Looks good.

Oldham 2019 633; 2018 : 505. Up on those years.

Doncaster 2019 : 660; 2018 : 830. Fair result.

Rochdale 2016 : 518. Down a bit.

London 2019 : 439; 2018 381. Not good but EssexRL covered that.

The years shown are the last full year of crowds or the latest year in League 1.

Impressed with Doncaster - seems like steady growth at the club (they are on my list for an away trip this year along with Oldham and maybe Cornwall)

• Like 2

920 owing to some dispute with the owners of the ground Rochdale FC. Mazey has referred to it as ‘dirty washing’ which he doesnt want aired in public. So the details remain confidential.

It involves more than the crowd restriction, which seems to be the result of limiting fans to one section of the main stand. It also involves use of stadium facilities like the car park and electronic scoreboard (although I believe the scoreboard might have been in use at Sundays game)

The crowd restriction obviously deters walk ups as they dont know if there will be seats available at kick off time. 

Hornets had success in bringing fans back last season with three of eight home games getting attendances over 1000, although this was partly due to the distribution of free tickets to local amateur clubs. The corresponding game v north wales had over 1300 fans.

This needs resolving urgently.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Anita Bath said:

920 owing to some dispute with the owners of the ground Rochdale FC. Mazey has referred to it as ‘dirty washing’ which he doesnt want aired in public. So the details remain confidential.

It involves more than the crowd restriction, which seems to be the result of limiting fans to one section of the main stand. It also involves use of stadium facilities like the car park and electronic scoreboard (although I believe the scoreboard might have been in use at Sundays game)

The crowd restriction obviously deters walk ups as they dont know if there will be seats available at kick off time. 

Hornets had success in bringing fans back last season with three of eight home games getting attendances over 1000, although this was partly due to the distribution of free tickets to local amateur clubs. The corresponding game v north wales had over 1300 fans.

Well you have come to the right place to get this resolved mate.

Now stand back and let this forums knowledge sort it.

59 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

Thanks for that update, really concerning stuff. 

19 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Don’t the Hornets own a percentage of the stadium ?. 

18 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

.  So many clubs arent big enough (yet) to use rented football stadium but cant generate rev to get to that level. 

I am confident that Oldham or Dale could get 6k at top level but just nowhere for them to grow before. 

The lack of rfl focus on infrastructure when we had cash was a big mistake. 

Is Chris Hamilton the only board member at Oldham RLFC. I’ve always wondered if there was a businessman from the area with a bit of cash spare that would be willing too help the club. I do remember  a Oldham fan winning the lottery who said he would put money into the club, but something must’ve happened there. Unless he sadly passed away. 

4 minutes ago, Josef K said:

Is Chris Hamilton the only board member at Oldham RLFC. I’ve always wondered if there was a businessman from the area with a bit of cash spare that would be willing too help the club. I do remember  a Oldham fan winning the lottery who said he would put money into the club, but something must’ve happened there. Unless he sadly passed away. 

Everybody's number has to come up sometime

22 hours ago, meast said:

Yes but then people are allowing mitigating circumstances for it, yet Huddersfield aren't allowed those same circumstances.

Anyway, the bigger picture is how do we get people to attend cup games? Super league fans and fans of the so called elite clubs have seemingly rendered the cup as not worth bothering with, how does the sport fix that?

Its twofold I suppose.

Firstly, most Home Super League crowds enter on pre purchased tickets. This is different for cup games.

Secondly, demand and interest simply isn't that high. Rectifying that is an issue for someone more qualified than myself.

4 hours ago, Josef K said:

Don’t the Hornets own a percentage of the stadium ?. 

No, they used to be partners in the stadium company but the old regieme collapsed in a mountain of debt the rugby league took over that share of ownership. The cooperative ownership the was formed and at some point Rochdale FC bought the share to take full ownership. Mazey and colleagues took over from the co op two years ago maybe so back in private ownership.

They have been tenants for 4 or 5 years now.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

No, they used to be partners in the stadium company but the old regieme collapsed in a mountain of debt the rugby league took over that share of ownership. The cooperative ownership the was formed and at some point Rochdale FC bought the share to take full ownership. Mazey and colleagues took over from the co op two years ago maybe so back in private ownership.

They have been tenants for 4 or 5 years now.

Ah right so if Rochdale AFC wanted too cut their nose off to spite their face they could kick them out ?. 

Not clear….when RFL sold the shares back to RFC some commitment was made to allow hornets to continue playing at spotland. Not sure the precise details ( in particular the term of the agreement) is public knowledge.

But inevitably as sole owners RFC would ultimately have the power to pull the rug from under hornets, particularly should hornets ever struggle to pay whatever rent is due.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Not clear….when RFL sold the shares back to RFC some commitment was made to allow hornets to continue playing at spotland. Not sure the precise details ( in particular the term of the agreement) is public knowledge.

But inevitably as sole owners RFC would ultimately have the power to pull the rug from under hornets, particularly should hornets ever struggle to pay whatever rent is due.

That is worrying. 

My guess at this wks attendances 

Wigan/Hull 10,500. 
Huddersfield/Catalans 4,900                            Hkr/wires sellout                                                Cas/Toulouse 5,900                                          Leeds/Saints 11,600                                        Wakey/Salford 5,000. 
Leigh/Dews 3,000. WorkTown/York 850. Barrow/Batley 1,500. Fev/Sheff 3,200. Fax/Whaven 1,500. LDN/Bulls 1,200. Newc/Widnes 1,000. 
Raiders/RDale 170. Crusaders/Cornwall 500. Midland/Swinton 500. Hunslet/Oldham 600. Keighley/Donny 790. 

10 hours ago, Josef K said:

Wigan/Hull 10,500. 
Huddersfield/Catalans 4,900                            Hkr/wires sellout                                                Cas/Toulouse 5,900                                          Leeds/Saints 11,600                                        Wakey/Salford 5,000. 
Leigh/Dews 3,000. WorkTown/York 850. Barrow/Batley 1,500. Fev/Sheff 3,200. Fax/Whaven 1,500. LDN/Bulls 1,200. Newc/Widnes 1,000. 
Raiders/RDale 170. Crusaders/Cornwall 500. Midland/Swinton 500. Hunslet/Oldham 600. Keighley/Donny 790. 

Given the weird 5.30 pm Saturday ko, I'd be overjoyed if the Cru got 500 in.

9 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Best thing that could happen to Oldham and Rochdale is if the football clubs went bust and had to start again.  

You can 3g the pitch out of football league and would need to build the income at facility rather than doped on FL payouts. 

OAFC won last night in their battle to avoid the drop if they win on Saturday i think they’ll be safe. I know the OAFC chairman is not very popular with the fans, and if he enjoys that sort of thing winding up his own fans he could make himself more unpopular by letting Oldham RLFC play at their stadium for 100yrs rent free. 

2 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

He doesnt own the stadium.  He bought a club without its main asset meaning it is worthless .

Cant 3g a pitch in the FL though.

They are doomed to start again at Step 5 in a few seasons regardless. Fans only stopped boycott when owner said he would leave. But noone will buy club because it is worthless so next season whatever div They are in admin is coming. 

I’m sure with it being football there is always someone who will want to buy a club. If the OAFC chairman doesn’t own the stadium who does, is it the council ?. 

13 hours ago, Josef K said:

Wigan/Hull 10,500. 

Labelling it a sellout is misleading when they’ve given all the tickets away for free at Hull kr 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Labelling it a sellout is misleading when they’ve given all the tickets away for free at Hull kr 

If all the tickets have gone it must be a sellout, whether they have been sold for cash or given away. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1