Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)

On 29/03/2022 at 23:47, Josef K said:

Cas/Toulouse 5,900           

Haven't Cas's first two home games been 10 000+ sellouts? I guess we'll see whether a vital relegation four-pointer draws in punters in the same numbers.

Over 10 000 for a game in soccer's fifth tier last Saturday, for a club which isn't even the best supported one in its own small city.

38 minutes ago, JonM said:

Haven't Cas's first two home games been 10 000+ sellouts? I guess we'll see whether a vital relegation four-pointer draws in punters in the same numbers.

Over 10 000 for a game in soccer's fifth tier last Saturday, for a club which isn't even the best supported one in its own small city.

Nottingham and it’s catchment area isn’t small, the city itself is over 300k and including suburbs the conurbation is around 700k. Nottingham RL are another club who should have been supported by the game and lot left to wither imho. 

Edited by Eddie
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, JonM said:

It’d be great if they got another 10,000 sell out Jon but i can’t see it this time.  7,000 would be brilliant especially after the Leeds win. Perhaps i have been a bit to harsh with the attendance. 

28 minutes ago, Josef K said:

It’d be great if they got another 10,000 sell out Jon but i can’t see it this time.  7,000 would be brilliant especially after the Leeds win. Perhaps i have been a bit to harsh with the attendance. 

You usually are a bit harsh but this week Leeds will do well to get 11,600 I reckon, and Wigan would be chuffed with 10,600. Two clubs who don’t seem capable of arresting their attendance decline while others (HKR, Cas and Saints) are increasing theirs. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Nottingham and it’s catchment area isn’t small, the city itself is over 300k and including suburbs the conurbation is around 700k. Nottingham RL are another club who should have been supported by the game and lot left to wither imho. 

They're currently the 98th best team in the country and can still draw 10K people to a game. Which shows what all other sports in England are up against.

I watched quite a few Nottingham RLFC home games, perfect example of how not to do expansion. There was never any chance it was going to succeed, or even cling to life. 

1 hour ago, JonM said:

They're currently the 98th best team in the country and can still draw 10K people to a game. Which shows what all other sports in England are up against.

I watched quite a few Nottingham RLFC home games, perfect example of how not to do expansion. There was never any chance it was going to succeed, or even cling to life. 

Yes they’re 98th best in the country who’ve also been in the top flight as recently as the 90s and will be back in the league soon enough. 10k in a local derby against another big ex-league side isn’t indicative of the 5th tier of football, just like 35k wasn’t in the Scottish 2nd division when Rangers were in it.   However I fully agree that football is far and away the best supported game in the country that is incomparable to anything else. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonM said:

Meanwhile, for balance, there are 7 teams in the 3rd tier of English football who can't draw an average crowd of more than 5,000, three of whom average below 3,100.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

You usually are a bit harsh but this week Leeds will do well to get 11,600 I reckon, and Wigan would be chuffed with 10,600. Two clubs who don’t seem capable of arresting their attendance decline while others (HKR, Cas and Saints) are increasing theirs. 

I was meant to be going to Leeds tomorrow Eddie, but by the time we all finish work it’s going to be a risk whether we’d get there on time. Which means it looks like im going to give it a miss sadly. 

• Sad 1

9,500 (and a bit) it was announced as at the ground. A poor crowd but it was freezing and whilst it’s a shame to dip below 10,000 for the first time in the league, that’s our run of Thursday nights out the way, so hopefully it’s only going to go one way now. The club needs to get the new marketing director earning their money over the coming months. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WN83 said:

9,500 (and a bit) it was announced as at the ground. A poor crowd but it was freezing and whilst it’s a shame to dip below 10,000 for the first time in the league, that’s our run of Thursday nights out the way, so hopefully it’s only going to go one way now. The club needs to get the new marketing director earning their money over the coming months. 

Looking at the highlights , It did look cold . 

Good game though , by the looks of it.  

9 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Those thursday games are always tough.  Hope when we get into summer it will improve.  

They are and we’ve had 3 on the spin. We’ve got Easter Monday, then a Sunday game and then all Fridays (as things stand) to come now. 

59 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Think it is why getting Salford and Wakey in New /redeveloped grounds.  Reduces dependency on Sky to pick big clubs on Thursday to have a game that looks full,  meaning better days open up for Wigan. 

Just think we are one big club short to take the pressure off the usual suspects. 

Sky don’t pick games because of how full the ground looks. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Think it is why getting Salford and Wakey in New /redeveloped grounds.  Reduces dependency on Sky to pick big clubs on Thursday to have a game that looks full,  meaning better days open up for Wigan. 

Just think we are one big club short to take the pressure off the usual suspects. 

Sadly for us I think early season Thursday games will be here to stay. Even when the Huddersfield game wasn't televised, it was still on Thursday so there was a 2 day turnaround to protect the pitch and sort the stadium for the Latics game on the Saturday. The best we can hope is our home games and Latics away games in those poor weather months don't overlap. 

6 minutes ago, WN83 said:

Sadly for us I think early season Thursday games will be here to stay. Even when the Huddersfield game wasn't televised, it was still on Thursday so there was a 2 day turnaround to protect the pitch and sort the stadium for the Latics game on the Saturday. The best we can hope is our home games and Latics away games in those poor weather months don't overlap. 

Why to the football team get precedence over the RL team, it’s not their ground is it?  

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Why to the football team get precedence over the RL team, it’s not their ground is it?  

Every single Football League and Premier League club is expected to have primacy of tenure at the home ground. It's a requirement of membership of those leagues.

As far as I'm aware, they all have it.

• Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

11 hours ago, WN83 said:

From the outside its a bit of a puzzle  

It feels among fans its in dumps, but team playing good rugby 

Is it because saints playing so well and winning, wigan fans just annoyed? 

The above means gripes about ground come up, along with ticket prices. 

21 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I’m not sure exactly how the ownership works in terms of whose name is on the documents but if it’s not the actual club, it’s the new club owners from Bahrain. A new deal has been worked out now for the long term tenancy by the rugby club but we’re definitely second fiddle. 

I think we need to push for Sunday games if Latics are at home Saturday but there’s been talk that the stadium company/football club think it’s not enough time to turn everything around. That sounds like rubbish to me. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

It is obviously nonsense, they just want to strangle you slowly. 

In fairness to them it’s been the talk for a long time before these new owners came in. Also just looking now, our game against Salford on the 24th April is the day after a Latics game, so maybe these guys are a bit more receptive and that’s positive if so. 

I think the pitch in Jan/Feb is the big worry. It held up pretty well but the weather was the pits. 

34 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

It seems some members of the Hull public have taken the free tickets that we’re on offer and now there’s none left are selling them on.

I wonder how the season ticket holders of Hull kr feel about others getting in for free when they’ve already paid?

E575F21D-EB11-4B15-A1B3-076CAA672A99.jpeg

Probably pleased to see the ground full with a banging atmosphere, it’s not like that happens every week. 

• Like 1