Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)

31 minutes ago, Hammerless Nail said:

Just wait until next season. When you see the difference between Leeds' attendances and those of the other clubs in the Championship, you'll absolutely lose it.

6-7k rattling around Headingley will look awful on the Our League highlights show. 

• Haha 1

On 02/04/2022 at 14:19, Tubby said:

Has this ever been stated anywhere, or is it an assumption? 

A prominent member of the Sky team told the Giants supporters association at a meeting when asked why we weren't featured on TV more.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

We’ve been through this many times haven’t we. Leeds is a massive city, the only one with a SL team; you’d expect them to have the highest attendances, yet per head of population they’re actually very small compared to most SL teams. 

We obviously need more small village super league teams then, their attendances would be incredible per head of population 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Eddie said:

Not enough variety is a big one for me, 12 teams is dull. 

Agree it's boring now and I look at the model of French Club Rugby Union with the TOP 14 and  the 16 team ProD2 and below that you have the sort of semi pro 48 team Federale 1 diverted into 4 pools of 12.

I know we don't have enough teams for that model and the same as the close minded RFU but I often wonder Australia could have something similar.....sorry to go off topic a bit.

On 03/04/2022 at 22:29, johnh1 said:

All this week’s attendances according to League Express

Cas v Toulouse.    7067

Hudds v Cats.  3845

HKR v Wire    10069

Leeds v Saints.   14083

Wakefield  v Salford.  4371

Wigan v Hull.    9581

Barrow v Batley.       1964

Fev v Sheffield.        2842

Halifax v Whitehaven.   1413

Leigh v Dewsbury.     2569

London v Bradford.      Not given

Workington v York.      Not given

Hunslet v Oldham.      654

Keighley v Doncaster.  863

Midlands v Swinton.  478

North Wales v Cornwall. 690

West Wales v Rochdale. 251

I’m surprised by the Giants attendance. I was at the game and would’ve guessed at least 5k

Edited by DoubleD

25 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I’m surprised by the Giants attendance. I was at the game and would’ve guessed at least 5-6k

Was supping the local beverage an explanation for seeing double? How many players were on the field is a good test. 

On a more serious note, I trust you enjoyed the game and the result.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

On 03/04/2022 at 15:22, M j M said:

Adult is £32 if bought in advance. Away fans are allocated Section A which is adjacent to the Western Terrace.

It was a good following from Saints on Friday, the terrace looked around half full. The official capacity is exactly 4,000 so maybe 2,000 fans. Perhaps a bit less as some Leeds fans do stand there.

£32 for a GA ticket in the standing terrace?

2 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

"Tickets were disco..." blah blah.  What a strong number for a Monday night.  

Thunder would easily match the other clubs crowds if they were in SL . We'd just have to move Magic Weekend is all. 

Thunder would easily average 10,000 in SL? Their first attendance this season was 638 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Thunder would easily average 10,000 in SL? Their first attendance this season was 638 😂

I'm a fan of what Newcastle are doing  but there's lots of delusion in some about how large a club they are.

Edited by M j M
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

"Tickets were disco..." blah blah.  What a strong number for a Monday night.  

Thunder would easily match the other clubs crowds if they were in SL . We'd just have to move Magic Weekend is all. 

Based on what,it’s took the Falcons well over a decade of big investment from Kurdi to get attendances to respectable levels in a Union area and they are still bottom of the Premiership attendance table.

Newcastle are doing lots of great things but attendances are still pretty poor so to think thousands of geordies will suddenly flock to Kingston park to watch Superleague is a bit delusional,even if they have one of your favoured “3G” pitches.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ShropshireBull said:

They were averaging near enough 1000 in League 1.  They have a World Cup opener in the city, it would be first time ever in SL (so good crowds from Leeds and both Hull teams for first season) and Sky and C4 would absolutely give them the push on friday night,  saturday afternoon games. 

I dont think its hard to imagine they could pull in 5000 average. 

So you haven’t based it on anything then,they couldn’t average anywhere near 5k when finishing 6th in their one season in Superleague.

8 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Yes, because comparing what a club with a fraction of the marketing budget after no internationals, no magic weekend or fta coverage playing behind an athletics track in gateshead is the same as Newcastle with everything mentioned above. 

Disengenous so bk on mute you go. 

Fraction of the marketing budget,they had Shane Richardson in charge,a large player investment and plenty of marketing and still averaged only 3500.

Back on mute really,how old are you 10 ?

21 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Yes, because comparing what a club with a fraction of the marketing budget after no internationals, no magic weekend or fta coverage playing behind an athletics track in gateshead is the same as Newcastle with everything mentioned above. 

Disengenous so bk on mute you go. 

How many people have you got on mute now? Am I still on the naughty step for having the audacity to disagree with you? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Eddie said:

How many people have you got on mute now? Am I still on the naughty step for having the audacity to disagree with you? 

I doubt it’s a very exclusive  club,which makes you wonder why one would come on a discussion forum in the first place.

Edited by Davo5

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

Fraction of the marketing budget,they had Shane Richardson in charge,a large player investment and plenty of marketing and still averaged only 3500.

Richo famously regarded it as his 'chip shop'. Sunk his life savings into it, expecting to have a job for life and instead his money was gone by the end of the season. There was neither much marketing nor a huge amount spent on players.

If there's anyone currently in British RL who could make a go of a SL club in a new area, it's Mick Hogan. Let's give him the time to do it properly rather than rushing them in.

Thunder did a good job of promoting a Monday night game vs Widnes, just as Dewsbury did a few weeks back, both got an extra 1000+ people showing up. Trick is to get those people to keep coming back.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, JonM said:

Richo famously regarded it as his 'chip shop'. Sunk his life savings into it, expecting to have a job for life and instead his money was gone by the end of the season. There was neither much marketing nor a huge amount spent on players.

If there's anyone currently in British RL who could make a go of a SL club in a new area, it's Mick Hogan. Let's give him the time to do it properly rather than rushing them in.

Thunder did a good job of promoting a Monday night game vs Widnes, just as Dewsbury did a few weeks back, both got an extra 1000+ people showing up. Trick is to get those people to keep coming back.

Mick Hogan isn’t Newcastle’s chairman any more unfortunately. But yes a win last night will hopefully encourage a few to go to another match. 

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Mick Hogan isn’t Newcastle’s chairman any more unfortunately. 

Not sure about the 'unfortunately' as hopefully he will help deliver a successful world cup. I think he's put the right things on place to keep rugby league growing in the north east.

10 minutes ago, JonM said:

Not sure about the 'unfortunately' as hopefully he will help deliver a successful world cup. I think he's put the right things on place to keep rugby league growing in the north east.

It is unfortunately for Newcastle, given your comment ‘If there's anyone currently in British RL who could make a go of a SL club in a new area, it's Mick Hogan.’. 

• Like 1

Bit worrying that London are no longer publishing attendances. Considering Bradford should have been one of the biggest gates of the season. Makes me wonder if they had <1K for that game, which if true would be dismal, and shows you need to build quality on the field to get fans, not just the facilities

The 2.2K vs widnes seems a long long time ago now

4 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Everyone could see it happening which is what makes it so tragic. You had a once in a generation chance to reinvigoratew the sport in the capital and you go part time when you move to state of the art facilities... madness. 

I assume they went part time because they couldn’t afford to stay full time, let’s face it it’s not like they were packing Ealing out either. Generous benefactors can only pump money into things for so long. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I assume they went part time because they couldn’t afford to stay full time, let’s face it it’s not like they were packing Ealing out either. Generous benefactors can only pump money into things for so long. 

Crowds at Plough Lane appear to be about 1/3 of Ealing crowds.

But it's fine because plenty of people who aren't Broncos fans told us that it's what was needed.

Everything, literally everything, that happened since the move was announced was predictable and predicted.

• Like 4

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)