Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)

15 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

It did need to move to a modern stadium if they wanted to get back to SL and be viable as a full time club. What everyone thought was insane was moving to a brand new ground , with modern facilities for hospitality, new crowds and being part time. If you were going to do that, then stop. 

It´s another example, like the worrying examples at Hull now and worringly creeping towards Wigan that if you aren´t at least a part owner of the stadium you really aren´t viable at any level. 

Yeah, mate.

I'm sticking you on mute until you start making any kind of sense.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I went along to Plough Lane for the first time on Sunday. Was worth every penny that I paid for my ticket.

I enjoyed bumping into people that I know but that was about it. The attendance seemed quite a bit less than 1k. For reference, London-Bradford at Ealing got 1.5k and 1.6k.

The stadium has shiny seats (lots of them), decent toilets and that's about it. No independent street food retailers, no area for kids, no pre-match entertainment. Views of flats. Almost zero atmosphere. 

Plough Lane could be a decent option for a club with >5k support. It is awful for, say, 750. A massive step backwards from Ealing which had much better facilities but could only cater comfortably for up to 2.5k and 4k bursting at its seams. Obviously not big enough for a club that regularly smashed the 25% capacity barrier there.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Crowds at Plough Lane appear to be about 1/3 of Ealing crowds.

But it's fine because plenty of people who aren't Broncos fans told us that it's what was needed.

Everything, literally everything, that happened since the move was announced was predictable and predicted.

What were they getting in the championship at Ealing? Certainly not 3,000 (I’m not saying Wimbledon is or ever was a good move btw, it seemed strange to me considering how most Broncos fans didn’t want to go there). 

1 hour ago, Archie Gordon said:

I went along to Plough Lane for the first time on Sunday. Was worth every penny that I paid for my ticket.

I enjoyed bumping into people that I know but that was about it. The attendance seemed quite a bit less than 1k. For reference, London-Bradford at Ealing got 1.5k and 1.6k.

The stadium has shiny seats (lots of them), decent toilets and that's about it. No independent street food retailers, no area for kids, no pre-match entertainment. Views of flats. Almost zero atmosphere. 

Plough Lane could be a decent option for a club with >5k support. It is awful for, say, 750. A massive step backwards from Ealing which had much better facilities but could only cater comfortably for up to 2.5k and 4k bursting at its seams. Obviously not big enough for a club that regularly smashed the 25% capacity barrier there.

The street food is behind the south stand, but they (London B) don't advertise it (Dons do in there home games), so I'm not surprised that people are not aware it exists. There is a fan engagement zone for kids and mascots in wimbledon games, but for some reason London decided not to use them (even though was one of the primary reasons for moving)

Edited by crashmon
  • Sad 1

London Broncos wouldn’t be worth £1. I can’t believe that this British Rugby League asset has devalued to such a level. Its not even an asset anymore.

It’s to the shame on the governors and leaders of this sport over the last 20 years in my opinion.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

London Broncos wouldn’t be worth £1. I can’t believe that this British Rugby League asset has devalued to such a level. Its not even an asset anymore.

It’s to the shame on the governors and leaders of this sport over the last 20 years in my opinion.

Can't pin this one on the RFL/SL I'm afraid.

It's down to profound mismanagement by the owners - despite them plowing millions in - but also sadly because rugby league just struggles for relevance anywhere outside its heartlands these days. 

(I suppose you could partly pin the second point on the RFL, but it's not London specific.) 

• Like 1

On 04/04/2022 at 08:10, JonNgog said:

expected more at Keighley since they were getting 1,000 + at the end of last year? Dismal from Wakefield given how well the team is going, the stadium improvements can’t come soon enough.

The Keighley-Doncaster preliminary final in the 2021 League One play-offs attracted 1,128. Not sure many other Cougars crowds last season made it into four figures.

Unlike the above, on Sunday, there were very few Doncaster fans present. Not enough interest to run a coach, I was told.

Edited by Hopping Mad

50 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

That’s all completely true but you can’t lay it all at the RFL’s doors.

Just look at this Plough Lane debacle. Club goes part time to save cash but moves to a big new stadium - with massively increased rental costs now across three grounds. And this was signed off by the owners! It is truly staggering incompetence and appalling management at club level.

Think there is a very real danger of Broncos going under by/before the end of the season. Can’t see how they can recover from this now.

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Yeah, mate.

I'm sticking you on mute until you start making any kind of sense.

What do you think is wrong with what he said? 

There was no future at Ealing, because the club couldn't grow there to anywhere near sustainable levels. 

There's no future at Plough Lane with a part-time team. 

Both these things can be true. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

What do you think is wrong with what he said? 

There was no future at Ealing, because the club couldn't grow there to anywhere near sustainable levels. 

There's no future at Plough Lane with a part-time team. 

Both these things can be true. 

Firstly, it's a little joke that he puts everyone on mute with such a line.

Secondly, there was a future at Ealing, or at least growing from Ealing, it's just not the one that a whole bunch of people who know nothing about London or the Broncos wanted.

And those people got what they wanted and literally everything that Broncos fans said would happen has now happened as a result.

• Like 10

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I will throw my two bobs worth in:)

For me Rugby League in London will always have to be in West London even though i now when in England live in Kent (Previously Chiswick) anywhere other than West London just doesn't do it for me.

Ealing was fine for the level we were at and i started to consider it home Quins was great Brentford to even Richmond would be better.

Thats just my opinioon

Paul

9 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

Can't pin this one on the RFL/SL I'm afraid.

It's down to profound mismanagement by the owners - despite them plowing millions in - but also sadly because rugby league just struggles for relevance anywhere outside its heartlands these days. 

(I suppose you could partly pin the second point on the RFL, but it's not London specific.) 

I blame the Broncos current and historical owners, the RFL and the other SL club owners.

Regarding London and their grounds, I look back fondly on the afternoons out at at Copthall, Griffin Park and the Stoop in particular, the locals were friendly, warm, happy to see you, the atmosphere was decent, it just felt really welcoming.

I was wary of Ealing but have to say that it was one of the better experiences of watching RL the last few years, albeit expensive, again, friendly locals, you were welcomed by the stewards, club officials and London supporters and with the food vans and bars and ability to wander around wherever you choose it was a fantastic experience.

Now compare that with the unwelcoming experience at Hull where you are treated like a criminal from the moment you arrive at the stadium to the moment you leave, the only friendless I encountered at Hull was the car park attendant.

Even Wigan, and our own stadium, although doing their best just feel so unwelcoming, cold and drab sometimes, added to the long, cold winters nights for the first 10 weeks of the season and it's no wonder a lot of people aren't flocking to rugby league.

It also doesn't help that we have a good product on the field but unless you're a TV sports subscriber, not many people can see it.

Anyway, shame about London, always enjoyed my trips there wherever they played.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Yep, you´d be better off starting with a new brand and name. But still face the same problems, no ground you own or part own. Unless New River could be done up. 

I've suggested New River as a ground share with Skolars in past....the stand would be plenty big enough currently. Just not great with the running track though 

53 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I've suggested New River as a ground share with Skolars in past....the stand would be plenty big enough currently. Just not great with the running track though 

I've always found athletics track venues a killer for field sports, especially rugby league - where it's preferable to be close to the action, thereby able to appreciate the speed of the play, the skills under fire and the sheer physicality of the game.

Edited by Hopping Mad
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Hopping Mad said:

I've always found athletics track venues a killer for field sports, especially rugby league - where it's preferable to be close to the action, thereby able to appreciate the speed of the play, the skills under fire and the sheer physicality of the game.

Yes. I think if New River became London's rugby league  hub (a home match for either team each week, some branding around the place) it could be good....potentially it outweighs the negatives things like the track bring 

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

Unless you can have one stand ,above' ( so you are looking down so to speak) or stands behind the posts in the gap they are awful. 

Multi sport arenas are usually no sport arenas . 

This would be in effect a merger and because they are so far away its really just folding the club. 

Anyone serious about doing it ( RL in Greater London) would be looking for a non league club (so it can be 3g) where a ground can be developed jointly. 

Croydon off the top of my head  with AFC Croydon Athletic).

Then no London in the name,  represent that borough  (Croydon or Haringley) and you get a fresh start. 

Same with any venture. Do you own part own or have a long term lease where you keep the rev?  No?  Then dont bother.

With prices in London we might have simply missed the boat. 

AFC Croydon is a toilet the best bet would have been Dulwich Hamlet.

Paul

2 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Yes but the point was you´d do it up together. If the stadium was already in place there´s no way or reason you would get in. Secondly, Dulwich´s ground is owned by a property firm who are still looking to sell it so it would again be built on sand. 

And where do they get the money from to redevelop the ground,not to mention your saviour of the sport,the 3G pitch.

On 04/04/2022 at 10:56, Eddie said:

Not enough variety is a big one for me, 12 teams is dull. 

Agree it's boring now and I look at the model of French Club Rugby Union with the TOP 14 and  the 16 team ProD2 and below that you have the sort of semi pro 48 team Federale 1 diverted into 4 pools of 12.

I know we don't have enough teams for that model and the same as the close minded RFU but I often wonder Australia could have something similar.....sorry to go off topic a bit.