Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)

8 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

You often hear about places that aren’t Rugby towns, I mean it’s an odd argument to make about Huddersfield who have been around since the sports very beginning and is literally the town Rugby League was invented in and sits slap bang in the middle of the M62 Super League. But when Toronto could attract 7000+ fans and Cornwall got over 1400 for their opening fixture fans clearly can be attracted to go games in places that are not big Rugby towns. 

Possibly because they were/are new and exciting, rather than something that’s been around locally for years so therefore isn’t. 

8,922 in Perpignan, not the sell out that the Toulouse hysterics on this forum always promised us before they got promoted but obviously a Thursday night didn’t help and I expect there were fewer away fans than most SL teams take over there, so all in all a decent attendance. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

8,922 in Perpignan, not the sell out that the Toulouse hysterics on this forum always promised us before they got promoted but obviously a Thursday night didn’t help and I expect there were fewer away fans than most SL teams take over there, so all in all a decent attendance. 

Not a bad gate and as you say Thursday night isn’t the best for a lot of people. 

16 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Its a near enough 3 hour drive each way. Utter stupidity to arrange this for a Thursday.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It looked as full as I've ever seen on the TV , so well done 

19 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Thursday night (France is a work day on Good Friday) with an 8.30pm kick off is nuts! If it was purely for Sky why didn't they bother putting any effort in to cover it?

• Like 4

8 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

He who pays the Piper 

Sky could broadcast more fixtures if we didn't play most of them at the same time over Easter.

2 on Good Friday (Wigan Saints and Hull Derbies), 2 Saturday (including Le Derby), 2 Sunday or Easter Monday. 

This is a purely Super League choice to double up over this weekend, and Thursday night doesn't even make much sense for that either.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Sky could broadcast more fixtures if we didn't play most of them at the same time over Easter.

2 on Good Friday (Wigan Saints and Hull Derbies), 2 Saturday (including Le Derby), 2 Sunday or Easter Monday. 

This is a purely Super League choice to double up over this weekend, and Thursday night doesn't even make much sense for that either.

Yes I wondered why there were two non-televised games last night, with each missing out on a bumper Good Friday crowd. 

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Yes I wondered why there were two non-televised games last night, with each missing out on a bumper Good Friday crowd. 

There were 3 non televised games actually mate, which only enhances your point.

4 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

There were 3 non televised games actually mate, which only enhances your point.

Oh yeah I forgot about Warrington. The only thing I can think of is that they want the maximum time between the two games, even if it’s at the expense of a big crowd, which if it’s the case demonstrated that having two games over the weekend isn’t ideal. 

7 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Oh yeah I forgot about Warrington. The only thing I can think of is that they want the maximum time between the two games, even if it’s at the expense of a big crowd, which if it’s the case demonstrated that having two games over the weekend isn’t ideal. 

Absolutely, which means there's even less commercial reasons for doubling up fixtures.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Eddie said:

Thanks for sharing that. I didn’t realise Wakefield’s attendances were just a few hundred at the start of the super league era. 

It says "gone up by a few hundred", not that they were a few hundred. Wakefield were getting around 2000 when they were promoted in the late nineties.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Absolutely, which means there's even less commercial reasons for doubling up fixtures.

Alternatively, given were asking the Saints, Wigan and Hull teams' players to play Friday/Monday, I don't see why the other non-televised games couldn't have been at noon on Good Friday. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Alternatively, given were asking the Saints, Wigan and Hull teams' players to play Friday/Monday, I don't see why the other non-televised games couldn't have been at noon on Good Friday. 

Corporate $

Edited by GUBRATS
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Its a near enough 3 hour drive each way. Utter stupidity to arrange this for a Thursday.

And the return derby is actually on a Thursday night again in August too. Absolute event killers! Do the people who run the game actually know how to grow the game?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

And the return derby is actually on a Thursday night again in August too. Absolute event killers! Do the people who run the game actually know how to grow the game?

The cynic in me would say its deliberate given Catalans regularly play Saturday Afternoons.

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

The cynic in me would say its deliberate given Catalans regularly play Saturday Afternoons.

Toulouse v Catalans in August 6pm kick on a Saturday. Lock the place out and a wonderful occasion for SL not just French RL. Thursday night in August with an 8.30pm so Sky can take the French feed gets an 8k crowd.

The evil elements of the French RU really don't need to stamp out a competitor. We really do this ourselves.

4 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Toulouse v Catalans in August 6pm kick on a Saturday. Lock the place out and a wonderful occasion for SL not just French RL. Thursday night in August with an 8.30pm so Sky can take the French feed gets an 8k crowd.

The evil elements of the French RU really don't need to stamp out a competitor. We really do this ourselves.

Sky are happy to take the Saturday afternoon feed too normally so I don't attribute this to them even.

Thursday night in France is not an issue. Its not allowed to be an issue for anyone else so give it a break. We play games over Easter, and we play games on Thursdays, maybe the Thursday is far better than Good Friday in France, I don't know. They filled their ground on Thursday for the semi last year. 

Catalans crowds do fluctuate a fair bit, seasonality appears to be a bigger factor there than in other places. 

It looked good, was a decent crowd, it's not really an issue. 

• Thanks 1