Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)

36 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Sky are happy to take the Saturday afternoon feed too normally so I don't attribute this to them even.

Possibly the only thing here is that this is a Sky production (Toulouse don't have a TV deal) so it falls within normal Sky scheduling and planning. 

But as per my last post, Catalans sold out Thursday for the semi last year (which we don't here) so maybe it's not that big a deal and it'll still do well. 

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Possibly the only thing here is that this is a Sky production (Toulouse don't have a TV deal) so it falls within normal Sky scheduling and planning. 

But as per my last post, Catalans sold out Thursday for the semi last year (which we don't here) so maybe it's not that big a deal and it'll still do well. 

Hopefully, but we should try give things as much of a chance to succeed as possible.

17 minutes ago, Dave T said:

But Toulouse on a Saturday gets thousands of fans travelling from all parts of the RL community in France by coach/train and also 3-5k fans from Perpignan. Barcelona x2 really shows how Catalans can mobilise support for non-Perpignan events. Thursday night in August at 8.30pm is an absolute killer for that possibility. Catalans to Toulouse is a 6 hour round trip.

Edited by Scubby

57 minutes ago, Scubby said:

But Toulouse on a Saturday gets thousands of fans travelling from all parts of the RL community in France by coach/train and also 3-5k fans from Perpignan. Barcelona x2 really shows how Catalans can mobilise support for non-Perpignan events. Thursday night in August at 8.30pm is an absolute killer for that possibility. Catalans to Toulouse is a 6 hour round trip.

Ignore the 8.30pm. Events in Europe regularly kick off later. 

Why aren't people so vocal about Thursdays when Wakefield complain about them? We all take a hit with Thursdays. 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Ignore the 8.30pm. Events in Europe regularly kick off later. 

Why aren't people so vocal about Thursdays when Wakefield complain about them? We all take a hit with Thursdays. 

But they have scheduled both French derbies on a Thursday night. Not one but 2.

These are historic games in 2022 not Wakefield v Salford for the 150th time. Those people who have spent years working and supporting French RL over a very turbulent few decades should have been treated to a special marquee event (at least one of the fixtures). Toulouse had no home regular fixtures in 2021 - this was their showpiece.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

But they have scheduled both French derbies on a Thursday night. Not one but 2.

These are historic games in 2022 not Wakefield v Salford for the 150th time. Those people who have spent years working and supporting French RL over a very turbulent few decades should have been treated to a special marquee event (at least one of the fixtures). Toulouse had no home regular fixtures in 2021 - this was their showpiece.

I know, I get it, I was being slightly facetious mate. 

But there is a serious point, that we often hear that we take Sky's money, we schedule games for Sky. This isn't different. 

Judging from KRs Twitter, the derby was sold out a couple of weeks ago. Why is it then that in the stand behind the sticks, there are so many empty seats in the KR bit? You expect the odd couple here and there but there seems to be quite a lot.

7 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Judging from KRs Twitter, the derby was sold out a couple of weeks ago. Why is it then that in the stand behind the sticks, there are so many empty seats in the KR bit? You expect the odd couple here and there but there seems to be quite a lot.

5 minutes ago, bratman said:

Think they're at the bars at the other end.

Yes, there are a lot standing around at the end areas. 

35 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I know, I get it, I was being slightly facetious mate. 

But there is a serious point, that we often hear that we take Sky's money, we schedule games for Sky. This isn't different. 

It's August, Sky may not even decide to cover it and they certainly won't take their crew there. They just have the option which makes it impossible to plan an event.

SL should have taken charge, agreed with Sky or whatever needs to be done and give Toulouse free reign to create the biggest event fixture in their history. Who doesn't want to see 19k in Ernest Wallon with fans from all over France coming together? We get it so wrong at this stuff.

I'm old enough to remember the All Golds centenary car crash!

5 minutes ago, Scubby said:

It's August, Sky may not even decide to cover it and they certainly won't take their crew there. They just have the option which makes it impossible to plan an event.

SL should have taken charge, agreed with Sky or whatever needs to be done and give Toulouse free reign to create the biggest event fixture in their history. Who doesn't want to see 19k in Ernest Wallon with fans from all over France coming together? We get it so wrong at this stuff.

I'm old enough to remember the All Golds centenary car crash!

Yes, my bad, this is the doubled up weekend. Its clear that they have tried to reduce the element of international travel during the weekends where we double up on games. 

Toulouse have games on all sorts of days and times, quute a few on Sundays. Whether these will change I don't know. 

Two packed grounds today. Fantastic stuff.

• Like 5

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

25 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Two packed grounds today. Fantastic stuff.

I know some say that crowds don't matter but I think they absolutely do. Everything about the game just seems better with a big crowd watching, including the quality of the game itself as it seems to rub off on the players, and it comes across so much better on TV.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

I know some say that crowds don't matter but I think they absolutely do. Everything about the game just seems better with a big crowd watching, including the quality of the game itself as it seems to rub off on the players, and it comes across so much better on TV.

It's a virtuous circle.  Games like today produce great atmospheres and the games just look better (even if they aren't) and that means people come back.  Then the next game has a better atmosphere than it may have had. 

And some people will go for an atmosphere and an occasion and that is perfectly fine with me.  In fact the more the better.

Full marks to HKR for making today feel like an event and not just relying on the history to fill the ground.  As a club, they are getting what they deserve.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

54 minutes ago, Damien said:

The Hull Derby is always a must-see for me, and the crowd and atmosphere play a big part in that. 

• Like 1

It felt as if there was more than the 17,980 fans on at saints today especially in the west stand. It was rammed people standing were they shouldn’t have been standing, strangers who i have never seen standing were i stand. People going to the ruddy bar whist the game is on and they don’t even have the decency to say “excuse please can i just sneak past”. They think they can just barge past, for those types i won’t move, i wouldn’t mind they miss most of the game. Although one of pish-heads had 4pints in those cardboard holding things, he was a bit unsteady with them and he made a huge knock on with two falling on the floor. 
It was a great afternoon with a noisy atmosphere. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Josef K said:

It felt as if there was more than the 17,980 fans on at saints today especially in the west stand. It was rammed people standing were they shouldn’t have been standing, strangers who i have never seen standing were i stand. People going to the ruddy bar whist the game is on and they don’t even have the decency to say “excuse please can i just sneak past”. They think they can just barge past, for those types i won’t move, i wouldn’t mind they miss most of the game. Although one of pish-heads had 4pints in those cardboard holding things, he was a bit unsteady with them and he made a huge knock on with two falling on the floor. 
It was a great afternoon with a noisy atmosphere. 

Why can't the clubs sell a 330ml 4 pack straight from the fridge with plastic glass save a lot of time missing the game when you got a 4 pint getting poured into a keg.

1 hour ago, EggFace said:

Why can't the clubs sell a 330ml 4 pack straight from the fridge with plastic glass save a lot of time missing the game when you got a 4 pint getting poured into a keg.

Those two pint glasses they have at Leeds are very good. 

This is where own ground really matters

All those beer sales at rovers and saints 

And hospitality sold out

I reckon both teams would have made some hefty money today 

• Like 1

On 14/04/2022 at 21:59, Eddie said:

8,922 in Perpignan, not the sell out that the Toulouse hysterics on this forum always promised us before they got promoted but obviously a Thursday night didn’t help and I expect there were fewer away fans than most SL teams take over there, so all in all a decent attendance. 

Didn't someone say that the French "derbies" would attract 20,000 it something?

It would be great, but not on Thursday nights.

Was there any Toulouse supporters?

Edited by meast
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, EggFace said:

Practically, it's because a fair number of stadiums are selling a weaker version because they don't want too many people getting too drunk too quickly.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

11 hours ago, EggFace said:

A number of reasons.

1) it's cheaper to buy kegs so they make more profit

2) they're often watered down to prevent fans getting too drunk

3) bottles are easier to throw than pint pots, so they try to sell as few as possible

4) plastic waste

5) bottles are easier to slip on than pint pots which just crush when you step in them

I'm sure there are more reasons.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Leeds no longer do these, it’s single pints only now 

I wonder why they decided not to do them they were great. I’ve still got two from a few years back, i kept them because they were good sturdy pint pots and not like a lot of the flimsy ones that you get in a lot of grounds.