Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)

5 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

On a statistical note - attendances on Good Friday 2019 were 79173, this year 62529.

That’s probably accounted for by the extra capacity if you reverse the Saints v  Wigan and the Hull derby. 

• Like 1

Couple of points. I won't repeat it, but I have posted on the match thread at my feelings of confusion in plonking poor Catalans at Salford tomorrow. And we wonder why SRD has ###### crowds.

As for Carlsberg. I am sure people realize it tastes very different in Denmark than in the UK.

I would hope people are not talking about actual purposefully watering down and then selling of alcohol.

However folk surely know any substance mixed with water can alter in many ways. Heat, cold, climate, what it is stored in can for instance change its chemistry.

You might be surprised that even top name perfumes alters. Traders speak of different batches having unique qualities of the same brand.

Beer is no different. The local brewery in Strangeways is Holts.  A decade or more or so, it belatedly introduced a lager to its pubs.

They are excellent. But initially they truly struggled for consistency. So drinkers might either experience a shandyesque small beer of 2% to a skull splitting 10% without warning, depending on which brew filled the barrell. 

9 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

On a statistical note - attendances on Good Friday 2019 were 79173, this year 62529.

I think we (saints) played Wigan away that day and there was well over 20,000 watching the match. That was a brilliant afternoon and a lovely warm sunny day. I had a couple of mates who were that hungover that they couldn’t attend the Easter Monday home match. I asked them “is it really worth it”, and they said “yes”. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, idrewthehaggis said:

Couple of points. I won't repeat it, but I have posted on the match thread at my feelings of confusion in plonking poor Catalans at Salford tomorrow. And we wonder why SRD has ###### crowds.

Is it not down to the home teams to pull the crowds in?

I get that Catalans aren't going to bring hundreds of away fans, but then it should be up to the home club to promote, market and sell the game regardless of how many visiting fans turn up?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, meast said:

Is it not down to the home teams to pull the crowds in?

There is simply no way that Salford could do anything to get families in to watch the rugby on a bank holiday. It's actually impossible and I'm embarrassed for anyone who thinks otherwise.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

11 hours ago, idrewthehaggis said:

Salford could always try acting like a Super League club and get some home supporters to games instead of relying on away supporters. You’ll play all teams at home at some point, I don’t see how it matters when in the season each game falls. Imagine if a French club complained about the number of away supporters, they’d be slaughtered on here.

48 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Anyone know any of this weekend’s championship or league one attendances? 

From the League Express:

Championship

Bradford v Halifax - 5,821 (But Bradford’s twitter announced 5,231)

Widnes v Leigh - Not Given (But someone on the forum mentioned 3,854)

Featherstone v Barrow - 3,284

Sheffield v London - 943 (Double header at Doncaster)

Batley v Dewsbury - Not Given

York v Newcastle - Not Given

Whitehaven v Workington - No Report due to late kick off.

League One

Swinton v North Wales - 1,081

Hunslet v Keighley - 714

Doncaster v Cornwall - 943

Midlands v Skolars - 176

Rochdale v Oldham - Not Given

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, fevtom said:

From the League Express:

Championship

League One

Hunslet v Keighley - 714

Midlands v Skolars - 176

Thanks Tom, some good figures there. Midlands though, they can’t be happy with that. 

21 minutes ago, fevtom said:

From the League Express:

Championship

League One

Hunslet v Keighley - 714

Midlands v Skolars - 176

Midlands saying 226 in their match report.

Rochdale was a ‘sell out’ with 900 the capacity mentioned everywhere. They could have easily had 1500 there - all ver bizarre.

Edited by theswanmcr

12 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Dunkirk has a railway station so that should be a plus!

I am going to write that down because it is so original and I don't want to forget it, I have never heard reference to a Railway Station before on these pages.

Tell me Anita, do you often crawl up the pants leg of tedium?

20 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

It's not a Derby in what ever way anyone wants to describe it. In your reckoning Tommy if the French teams had been in Dunkirk and Marseille it would still be a Derby?

I don't know why you are being funny about this one Harry? 

The two teams are from the South West of France and are the only two French teams in the comp. It would naturally create a rivalry yes. Toronto vs Ottawa would have been the Canadian Derby.

But if you want to be picky, distances in France are bigger because it is more than 4 times the size of England. If Hull vs Leeds at 64 miles is a Yorkshire Derby, then Toulouse vs Perpignan at 125 miles is relatively twice as close for Le Derby de L'Occitanie/La France. Had a look too and Toronto to Ottawa is a measly 280 miles but still would have been a Canadian Derby in Rugby League just as the Welsh Derby is.

They want to call it a Derby then they can.

• Like 1

On 17/04/2022 at 00:25, The Rocket said:

Out of interest how did you discover the game.

Hi everyone, thank you for the welcome to the forum  and info re the London match and crowd. Re the above question, I attended a Scotland World Cup match in November 2000 at Tynecastle, Edinburgh but never really followed it up living in Scotland at the time). I actually live in the north west now so exposed a fair amount of coverage of rugby league. Visit London a lot though and can see the Broncos  need the support just now.Hopefully get the support up to 10 this weekend after reading 8 at Sheffield. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I don't know why you are being funny about this one Harry? 

The two teams are from the South West of France and are the only two French teams in the comp. It would naturally create a rivalry yes. Toronto vs Ottawa would have been the Canadian Derby.

But if you want to be picky, distances in France are bigger because it is more than 4 times the size of England. If Hull vs Leeds at 64 miles is a Yorkshire Derby, then Toulouse vs Perpignan at 125 miles is relatively twice as close for Le Derby de L'Occitanie/La France. Had a look too and Toronto to Ottawa is a measly 280 miles but still would have been a Canadian Derby in Rugby League just as the Welsh Derby is.

They want to call it a Derby then they can.

(Highlighted) it is not a Derby though, it is a game between two Yerkshire clubs, just expand that line of thought of yours because they come from the same country the French, Canadian and Welsh clubs then the game between Newcastle v London in the Championship should be an English Derby.

Your last sentance is so unlike you Tommy, if I am being Picky then you are just grasping at straws, being a student of history you will know the very origins of the Derby are rivals from the same town or city for example Hull FC v Hull KR or towns or city's that border each other Leeds Rhino's v Bradford Bulls - I could, but I won't use football examples - so yes, they, you whoever wants to term it as a Derby can do so, but it ain't correct.

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, London Balham Bronco said:

Hi everyone, thank you for the welcome to the forum  and info re the London match and crowd. Re the above question, I attended a Scotland World Cup match in November 2000 at Tynecastle, Edinburgh but never really followed it up living in Scotland at the time). I actually live in the north west now so exposed a fair amount of coverage of rugby league. Visit London a lot though and can see the Broncos  need the support just now.Hopefully get the support up to 10 this weekend after reading 8 at Sheffield. 

Good on you , you'll probably understand my original post at some point during the match at Leigh , I won't spoil it for you , but it's all done in good spirit ( mostly ) and all are welcome 

Hope you enjoy your day 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

(Highlighted) it is not a Derby though, it is a game between two Yerkshire clubs, just expand that line of thought of yours because they come from the same country the French, Canadian and Welsh clubs then the game between Newcastle v London in the Championship should be an English Derby.

Your last sentance is so unlike you Tommy, if I am being Picky then you are just grasping at straws, being a student of history you will know the very origins of the Derby are rivals from the same town or city for example Hull FC v Hull KR or towns or city's that border each other Leeds Rhino's v Bradford Bulls - I could, but I won't use football examples - so yes, they, you whoever wants to term it as a Derby can do so, but it ain't correct.

Hull vs Leeds is a Yorkshire Derby in football, as is Leeds vs Middlesbrough for that matter. 

Derbies are relative. Its really not that controversial to call a match between the two teams from L'Occitanie a derby.

Edited by Tommygilf
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Hull vs Leeds is a Yorkshire Derby in football, as is Leeds vs Middlesbrough for that matter.

Derbies are relative. Its really not that controversial.

I didn't think you would be long before you lent on football to back up your argument, that is usually the direction you take.

Yes Derby's are relative, but relative to a close neighbour, anyway let's leave it at that.

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

I didn't think you would be long before you lent on football to back up your argument, that is usually the direction you take.

Yes Derby's are relative, but relative to a close neighbour, anyway let's leave it at that.

And "close" is a relative term. Given Toulouse are 1500km closer to Catalans than anyone else in the comp that probably feels "close".

30 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I've looked into this and one of the things a fixture needs to be classed as a Derby if for both Teams to have Railway Stations. So last nights West Cumbrian game was a Derby.

I'll go through the other RL teams and let you know which ones can be involved in a Derby if you want.

• Haha 3