Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Ah ok fair enough, I thought you meant the max they could have. 

Well a high up board member of one of the semi finalists told me between all 4 clubs they are struggling to get anywhere near filling it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Would have thought 10 k from each Wigan and St's is possible.  5k off Kr. Maybe 2k from Giants and 2k nuetrals.  Thats near enough 30 k.

My fear is that the Giants vs KR game will look diré on the telly when one half of the saints or pies goes home. 

Getting flash back to 2013 World cup semis.

Not a prayer that Wigan will be taking 10,000 or even 8,000 I expect. HKR might make up some of that shortfall to an extent though.

The nature of ‘dressing’ the stadium means that none of the games will look particularly good on the telly unfortunately. 

31 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Would have thought 10 k from each Wigan and St's is possible.  5k off Kr. Maybe 2k from Giants and 2k nuetrals.  Thats near enough 30 k.

My fear is that the Giants vs KR game will look diré on the telly when one half of the saints or pies goes home. 

I’d think HKR will take a few more than 5k and Huddersfield more than 2k. Not loads more like, maybe 7 and 3.5. 

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

I know it's against Saints, but have Wigan ever taken 10,000 to a semi final in recent times?

They usually only manage half of that at Leigh or Warrington, not sure 10,000 will go to Leeds?

Giants will have more than 2,000 don't worry!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, meast said:

I know it's against Saints, but have Wigan ever taken 10,000 to a semi final in recent times?

They usually only manage half of that at Leigh or Warrington, not sure 10,000 will go to Leeds?

Giants will have more than 2,000 don't worry!

Yes would expect 3-4k from Huddersfield. Big opportunity for them to progress.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Not from what i've been told, i guess another semi final and another derby in an awful stadium doesn't appeal to them as much as it should and your fear is our blessing as it means, unlike the Magic Weekend,we won't have hundreds of fans of the teams not involved in that game outsinging and taking the moment away from the others, Hull Kr and Huddersfield fans will have a great day regardless of how it looks for Tv viewers, luckily our sport is still available form the supporters in the ground and hasn't been turned into a full blown TV show yet.

I’m going to the SF’s and will be watching both mens games. The seating i have sat in for test matches behind the sticks at Leeds Utd has been poor with hardly any legroom. I put it on a par with LFC’s ground for being uncomfortable. Football fans must love paying good money and not sitting in comfort. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Not from what i've been told, i guess another semi final and another derby in an awful stadium doesn't appeal to them as much as it should 

I am sure the similar branches of the RL family like KR, Cas, Wakey and us Reds would heartedly embrace repetitive games against Saints and the Pies if they were Finals, Semi Finals or title deciders.

The relentless dominance of the few has clearly dulled the support of the big clubs. 

They sound bored, act bored and are so sedated by success that only the core bothers with games like this.

This is what having a rigged system does. Time for RL to grasp this issue and revive the sport. 

I still feel the most enthusiastic and buzzing crowd will emerge from east Hull. 

What i have to query is the venue. There is nothing wrong with Elland Road. I once saw the Happy Mondays there back in the day. But is that a right call? 

54 minutes ago, Josef K said:

I’m going to the SF’s and will be watching both mens games. The seating i have sat in for test matches behind the sticks at Leeds Utd has been poor with hardly any legroom. I put it on a par with LFC’s ground for being uncomfortable. Football fans must love paying good money and not sitting in comfort. 

Tbf, the reality is that in the end you were in, not many fans do "sit" for football. I had similar to you at LFC in the Kop for the 4 Nations. Because they aren't brand new grounds many have just had seating placed on old terraces. 

I believe there is now an area of safe standing at the back of the kop at Elland Road too now, not sure what seating would be like there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Damien said:

I personally think the sport should be aiming for better than double headers for semi finals. Wigan v Saints in Leeds is just crazy.

Its difficult. If these were single games then we'd be looking at maybe Salford or Leigh for game 1 and Headingley for game 2, along with the associated costs of those 2 venues. Would the overall attendance be much better? 

It is only by fortune that it is Saints vs Wigan, if it was any other way around then Leeds would be an "obvious" choice for neutral venue. I remember Leeds playing a Semi final in St Helens or Warrington a few years ago against another Yorkshire team. Sometimes that's just how it is.

If we are to have double headers, it is better to have them in bigger grounds imo. I suppose the argument also extends that if you are going to have the games in out of town neutral venue(s), then its not as big a deal anyway where it is so long as it is reasonably accessible.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Damien said:

I personally think the sport should be aiming for better than double headers for semi finals. Wigan v Saints in Leeds is just crazy.

I agree double header semi finals is poor, it’s to bring costs down as only 1 venue needs to be hired. If we can’t afford/it’s not economically viable to hire 2 venues, the first team out of the bag in the draw should play at home with a split gate as is the case in the quarter final.

47 minutes ago, Damien said:

Where would you play Saints v Wigan though, if neutral venues could easily be booked with two weeks notice? 

Leigh or Warrington would be far too boring and scream tin pot. Bolton is too big, Ewood Park or Turf Moor maybe?  A good thing about Elland Road is that it’s famous and many will never have been there before, so may be attracted to go there rather than another SL ground where they go for regular SL fixtures. 

Just now, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I agree double header semi finals is poor, it’s to bring costs down as only 1 venue needs to be hired. If we can’t afford/it’s not economically viable to hire 2 venues, the first team out of the bag in the draw should play at home with a split gate as is the case in the quarter final.

Further devaluing the competition. Why is a double header poor, if everyone who wants to go can get on and have the option of seeing two games? 

Just now, Eddie said:

Where would you play Saints v Wigan though, if neutral venues could easily be booked with two weeks notice? 

Leigh or Warrington would be far too boring and scream tin pot. Bolton is too big, Ewood Park or Turf Moor maybe?  A good thing about Elland Road is that it’s famous and many will never have been there before, so may be attracted to go there rather than another SL ground where they go for regular SL fixtures. 

Leigh or Warrington is exactly where it should be held 

19 minutes ago, Eddie said:

There's 4 weeks between and it was never much of a problem for decades watching the game. Warrington, Widnes, Leigh - There's no shortage of RL grounds to fall back on and that's before you get to the likes of Bolton.

I am in favour of "Double Headers."

It should make the Semi Final into a bigger event. Problem is that us M62 cloth heids and caps find it curiously challenging to travel. Whilst English football fans will steel themselves for "Aways" in various exotic and distant European locations, some of us blanch at a quick trip across the Pennines.

Go on RL needs Big Events. This could be this. 

Public transport is not great for Elland Road. 

The rigged system has not done West Yorkshire well in helping the county develop its transit network. 

We have done Ok in Mancunia, but as much as you might envy the Metrolink, it is merely a catch up with something that should been across Greater Manchester fifty years ago.

If I applied the usual RL Forum opinion, I would be saying that there is no tram/trolleybus/train to Elland Road because the council is failing, needs to up its game, should be replaced by erm Bradford/Toronto/Leigh erm. if there was a way to blame Tracy Brabin for the municipal version of low crowds/lack of an academy/meccano stadiums then I am sure someone would find a way.

So its rigged. The same teams crop up with success drenched boredom and are somehow uneasy in leaving our various towns to see a game in the next valley. 

But hey double headers can be the double event we need.

Edited by idrewthehaggis

2 hours ago, FearTheVee said:

I think Leeds is a poor choice and Elland Road a poor stadium.

Leeds is difficult to get to for a lot of people and even once you're there it's a 40 minute hike from the train station to Elland Road.

Its an awful ground, been to see RL there and could hardly walk afterwards, the space for seats is shocking. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1