Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)

31 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I agree double header semi finals is poor, it’s to bring costs down as only 1 venue needs to be hired. If we can’t afford/it’s not economically viable to hire 2 venues, the first team out of the bag in the draw should play at home with a split gate as is the case in the quarter final.

I'm not convinced that the cost differential would be that much between hiring 2 smaller venues, requiring far less staff and for a shorter period of time, compared to 1 much bigger one for a longer period of time with many more overheads. I'm not even convinced if Elland Road would be cheaper at all than say hiring Warrington and Headingley and of course that money stays in RL too.

Edited by Damien

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

I'm not convinced that the cost differential would be that much between hiring 2 smaller venues, requiring far less staff and for a shorter period of time, compared to 1 much bigger one for a longer period of time with many more overheads. I'm not even convinced if Elland Road would be cheaper at all than say hiring Warrington and Headingley and of course that money stays in RL too.

It isn't necessarily the ground rental, but if memory serves me right it was a big selling point that the BBC would only have a single set up cost for broadcasting three games?

9 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

It isn't necessarily the ground rental, but if memory serves me right it was a big selling point that the BBC would only have a single set up cost for broadcasting three games?

BBC have a TV deal for the Challenge Cup, saving money for the BBC really shouldn't be a consideration when it comes to what is best for RL. If our decisions are revolving around cutting costs for the BBC and saving a few quid, possibly, in ground rental then no wonder there is zero direction when it comes to the games planning and strategy.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Damien said:

BBC have a TV deal for the Challenge Cup, saving money for the BBC really shouldn't be a consideration when it comes to what is best for RL. If our decisions are revolving around cutting costs for the BBC and saving a few quid, possibly, in ground rental then no wonder there is zero direction when it comes to the games planning and strategy.

We don't know the terms of the deal.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

We don't know the terms of the deal.

That works both ways.

What we do know is that BBC are quite happy to show other rounds, such as quarter finals on different days at different locations. It's so Rugby League to undersell ourselves and think that some straight jacket agreement is in place solely for semi finals. Based on what has happened for decades and what happens in previous rounds there is simply no reason to jump to the conclusion that it's a BBC condition.

9 minutes ago, Damien said:

That works both ways.

What we do know is that BBC are quite happy to show other rounds, such as quarter finals on different days at different locations. It's so Rugby League to undersell ourselves and think that some straight jacket agreement is in place solely for semi finals. Based on what has happened for decades and what happens in previous rounds there is simply no reason to jump to the conclusion that it's a BBC condition.

I strongly suspect it's a useful money-saving arrangement for both sides that they're both happy with.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I strongly suspect it's a useful money-saving arrangement for both sides that they're both happy with.

I also suspect that this is the best they can do for the Women's cup final in that respect too.

Just now, Tommygilf said:

I also suspect that this is the best they can do for the Women's cup final in that respect too.

Yes. At least they basically admit that - although, again, I think there is a shoulder shrugging, "Will this do?" element to that as well.

Just now, gingerjon said:

Yes. At least they basically admit that - although, again, I think there is a shoulder shrugging, "Will this do?" element to that as well.

I think its better than playing it before a stand alone mens semi final in Leigh or Warrington - which is the likely alternative to keep the BBC coverage. Even for "this'll do" its not the worst option.

One point I would make - if we are going to go with double and triple header events, we really should be choosing comfortable grounds. Elland Road is not a good ground to go and spend the whole day at.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Damien said:

10k rattling around Elland Road is no better.

You can make 10k look alright at Elland Road tbh, especially on TV. And lets be honest we should be looking at 20k upwards for just the two semis, which again, doesn't look terrible on TV.

Chances are you'd be looking at 6k at LSV.

Just now, Eddie said:

Do you think they’d sell LSV out? I expect a lot of people wouldn’t bother going to such an uninspiring venue. 

I wouldn't play at at the LSV either.

Elland Road is a dump these days and isn't an inspiring venue to most RL fans who have been there and done that. Countless RL events have been held there, there isn't anything novel about it. If we are going down the double header route its as uninspiring as you can get. Far more Wigan and Saints fans would have gone to the game if it was at Warrington or Bolton than will go to Elland Road that's for sure.

4 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

You can make 10k look alright at Elland Road tbh, especially on TV. And lets be honest we should be looking at 20k upwards for just the two semis, which again, doesn't look terrible on TV.

Chances are you'd be looking at 6k at LSV.

So you think 10k Wigan and Saints fans would go to Elland Road but only 6k to Leigh a few miles away? Not a chance.

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

One point I would make - if we are going to go with double and triple header events, we really should be choosing comfortable grounds. Elland Road is not a good ground to go and spend the whole day at.

Agreed. Headingley for example would be better for this (easier to move around, more comfortable seating etc.) 

Given the current picks for "marquee games" I wonder if the strategy of the RFL is related to strengthening relationships with future partners ie LUFC and Tottenham, on the basis of games that were kiboshed by the Pandemic.

7 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

You think they would sell out at the LSV?

I'm not sure why you keep talking about the LSV like its the only option. I'm not even sure why the focus is on whether if the LSV having to sell out but you are happy with a semi final in front of a quarter full Elland Road. You think only 6k would go there, I think that's nonsense for a Wigan v Saints game.

Edited by Damien

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

You think they would sell out at the LSV?

Not a chance, tin pot events attract little interest. Elland Road for all its faults (well I’ve only been twice, both to watch Leeds v Norwich but taking into account what people have said on this forum) is at least reasonable iconic, which imho is what the semi finals of a great competition need. You wouldn’t get the FA moving the cup semi final to Turf Moor if Carlisle and Wigan somehow got there. 

2 hours ago, Damien said:

I personally think the sport should be aiming for better than double headers for semi finals. Wigan v Saints in Leeds is just crazy.

Wigan v saints depending on availability should have been played somewhere like bolton or Preston for a 25-30k stadium or Widnes to ensure a certain sellout.

7 minutes ago, Tony Angelino said:

Wigan v saints depending on availability should have been played somewhere like bolton or Preston for a 25-30k stadium or Widnes to ensure a certain sellout.

The RFL couldn’t have known who was going to be in the semi finals when they booked the event though. Also lots of people like going to both games, I have a prior commitment or I’d definitely have gone, and I’d be much less likely to travel 4 hours each way to watch one semi final.