Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)

4 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Just commenting on what I see at Warrington, yes it maybe replicated in other teams. Warrington have good ideas but from a fans perspective it doesn't seem like a fully planned objective. The area could easily fill the stadium on a regular basis but the club has not got the right people in to tap into the local market. Although we are surrounded by big football clubs I bet the actual people in the warrington area who actually attend these football clubs is a miniscule amount. 

Would the relative success of Warrington's semi pro football teams and their increase in attendances have affected Wire?

Rylands, for example won the Northern Premier League West and attracted 1200 yesterday, and have seen their crowds increase by 354% over the last year, Warrington Town have made the NPL Play offs and could be 2 levels from the EFL next season, they're averaging over 500 for this season and have almost doubled their average crowds in the last 4 years.

Could it be that the "hangers on", casual supporters have now switched their fandom from the rugby to football?

Yesterday was the emptiest, quietest and unresponsive I think I can remember seeing the HJ.

Edited by meast

1 hour ago, meast said:

Would the relative success of Warrington's semi pro football teams and their increase in attendances have affected Wire?

Rylands, for example won the Northern Premier League West and attracted 1200 yesterday, and have seen their crowds increase by 354% over the last year, Warrington Town have made the NPL Play offs and could be 2 levels from the EFL next season, they're averaging over 500 for this season and have almost doubled their average crowds in the last 4 years.

Could it be that the "hangers on", casual supporters have now switched their fandom from the rugby to football?

Yesterday was the emptiest, quietest and unresponsive I think I can remember seeing the HJ.

You obviously done some research, but I live less than a mile frpm Warrington Town and have never felt the urge to go, no but living here and not just occasionally attending a match, their are over 200k living inside the boundaries of Warrington and the ground holds 15k, and if you lived here you would see fans who actually play for union sides in Warrington as season ticket holders, people who play sunday football at games so people will watch their local teams whether they play the sport or not. So the relative success of other sporting teams in Warrington don't affect the attendance. Just on a side not amateur rl clubs have had crowds of over 1k in days gone by. And to finally put your lack of understanding of Warrington the local paper the warrington guardian has more on wire games than all football/union clubs put together. 

1 hour ago, meast said:

Rylands are the “trendy” football club at the moment - it’s a shame their success led to the Rugby League club being turfed out of their home

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Just commenting on what I see at Warrington, yes it maybe replicated in other teams. Warrington have good ideas but from a fans perspective it doesn't seem like a fully planned objective. The area could easily fill the stadium on a regular basis but the club has not got the right people in to tap into the local market. Although we are surrounded by big football clubs I bet the actual people in the warrington area who actually attend these football clubs is a miniscule amount. 

A lot of areas of Warrington ( Penketh , Sankey , Cinnamon Brow , Birchwood , Westbrook , Chapelford , Whittlehall , Barrowhall ) have large overspill from Liverpool and Manchester , with some estates dating back to the early 60s .

Most of these folk still resonate to football ( Everton , Liverpool, City and United ) and see RL as an afterthought.

I’ve seen Warrington Bank Quay and Warrington Central packed with fans going to home games at one of the above stations . So to say that the amount that travel to football is minuscule is incorrect.

Having lived in Penketh for 62 years and an avid RL supporter, the game is still seen as untrendy and not hip.

Also the new breed of Warrington fan just know RL as Superleague. Rugby League pre HJ stadium means nothing to them and they have nil interest in the rich heritage and history of the sport .

A prime example of this is that the 3 RLWC trophies where on show yesterday in the middle of Warrington , the interest was virtually non existent , yet there was a home game on against Huddersfield. 

Whatever people think , Warrington is a football loving town and RL comes second .

On 16/04/2022 at 19:26, London Balham Bronco said:

I am new to this forum and rugby league in general but really enjoying following it already. Taking in Leigh v London next sunday and have tickets for the Broncos section. Just a query what sort of away supporter numbers would London normally take to this and to expect there next week?

Hope you enjoyed your visit to the LSV , I really felt for your lads , never stopped but totally outclassed 

29 minutes ago, soulboy said:

A lot of areas of Warrington ( Penketh , Sankey , Cinnamon Brow , Birchwood , Westbrook , Chapelford , Whittlehall , Barrowhall ) have large overspill from Liverpool and Manchester , with some estates dating back to the early 60s .

Most of these folk still resonate to football ( Everton , Liverpool, City and United ) and see RL as an afterthought.

I’ve seen Warrington Bank Quay and Warrington Central packed with fans going to home games at one of the above stations . So to say that the amount that travel to football is minuscule is incorrect.

Having lived in Penketh for 62 years and an avid RL supporter, the game is still seen as untrendy and not hip.

Also the new breed of Warrington fan just know RL as Superleague. Rugby League pre HJ stadium means nothing to them and they have nil interest in the rich heritage and history of the sport .

A prime example of this is that the 3 RLWC trophies where on show yesterday in the middle of Warrington , the interest was virtually non existent , yet there was a home game on against Huddersfield. 

Whatever people think , Warrington is a football loving town and RL comes second .

Yet 30k turns out at Wembley, there is potential in Warrington its just the club has not got the right people to tap into it. When I coached junior rugby in the early 90s there were only a handful of schools playing RL now most schools have teams, so children of these football fans attend these schools and some will play rugby, it is an untapped market, I know people who never had any contact with rugby but when their  child was a mascot have become lifelong supporters. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, meast said:

No 

1 hour ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

You obviously done some research, but I live less than a mile frpm Warrington Town and have never felt the urge to go, no but living here and not just occasionally attending a match, their are over 200k living inside the boundaries of Warrington and the ground holds 15k, and if you lived here you would see fans who actually play for union sides in Warrington as season ticket holders, people who play sunday football at games so people will watch their local teams whether they play the sport or not. So the relative success of other sporting teams in Warrington don't affect the attendance. Just on a side not amateur rl clubs have had crowds of over 1k in days gone by. And to finally put your lack of understanding of Warrington the local paper the warrington guardian has more on wire games than all football/union clubs put together. 

Cheers, so no correlation then?

Just now, meast said:

Cheers, so no correlation then?

Sorry had look up the meaning of that word I am only a simple bloke. But no non if what happens with other Warrington sports clubs has any impact on Warrington wolves. 

2 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Sorry had look up the meaning of that word I am only a simple bloke. But no non if what happens with other Warrington sports clubs has any impact on Warrington wolves. 

I meant is there any connection between Warrington Wolves crowds dropping and Warrington Town and Rylands crowds going up.

It seems not.

11 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Yet 30k turns out at Wembley, there is potential in Warrington its just the club has not got the right people to tap into it. When I coached junior rugby in the early 90s there were only a handful of schools playing RL now most schools have teams, so children of these football fans attend these schools and some will play rugby, it is an untapped market, I know people who never had any contact with rugby but when their  child was a mascot have become lifelong supporters. 

I’ll freely admit my post was a bit of a sweeping statement and i do have a lot of Liverpool and Manc friends around my age , have got into the RL through there grandchildren etc and they now love the sport .

Like you stated the potential is still untapped, especially these new housing estates that have ‘ shot up ‘ in the last 5 years . 

I’m still staggered to see replica Warrington shirts in Stockton Beak and Grappenhall, 15 to 20 years that would have been unthinkable.

Like you said though it all starts in the schools .

1 hour ago, soulboy said:

This ^^^^ 100%.  Things are on the improve from when I first started watching mid 1980s.  We’ve basically gone from a hardcore of 3500-4000 at wilderspool to a hardcore of 8000 now at the HJ.  All of the above is true though, pretty much everyone I know has a football club to follow that isn’t Warrington based!  The town is full of Man U(re) and Liverpool fans.  It’s understandable as we’re only 20 mins from each city, but if everyone who was a “fan” of these close PL teams watched Warrington town instead there would be 30,000 there!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

That's great to hear.

1 minute ago, Dallas Mead said:

This ^^^^ 100%.  Things are on the improve from when I first started watching mid 1980s.  We’ve basically gone from a hardcore of 3500-4000 at wilderspool to a hardcore of 8000 now at the HJ.  All of the above is true though, pretty much everyone I know has a football club to follow that isn’t Warrington based!  The town is full of Man U(re) and Liverpool fans.  It’s understandable as we’re only 20 mins from each city, but if everyone who was a “fan” of these close PL teams watched Warrington town instead there would be 30,000 there!

But that's the same in plenty of places. Warrington isn't particularly unique in plenty of people liking and supporting bigger football clubs from elsewhere.

1 hour ago, soulboy said:

But Warrington still pull bigger crowd then Warrington Football and Rugby Union ?

11 minutes ago, EggFace said:

But Warrington still pull bigger crowd then Warrington Football and Rugby Union ?

Not everyone that likes football in Warrington sports the town's football team. In fact, I'd say it's less 0.01% of football fans in the town.

The percentages of rugby league fans supporting the rugby league team would likely be in the 90% region. That's why it's pointless comparing.

• Like 3
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

On 22/04/2022 at 21:45, M j M said:

Toulouse more attractive to Leeds fans than Huddersfield were. Attendance tonight 11,167.

On 23/04/2022 at 07:43, Eddie said:

We keep hearing from certain posters that Leeds’ low crowds are because they have so many Thursday games and they’ll go up on the preferred Friday, so for a club who were averaging 15k+ not long ago, 11k on a Friday night is worryingly low.

On 23/04/2022 at 08:23, Eddie said:

Wearing thin isn’t it. Leeds and Wigan’s haemorrhaging of fans is one of the most worrying aspects of the game, and neither club seem bothered about it. 

I believe this worryingly low attendance was actually the best attendance of any game in the UK this weekend. Leeds are once again the best supported club in the country.

38 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I believe this worryingly low attendance was actually the best attendance of any game in the UK this weekend. Leeds are once again the best supported club in the country.

Plus this Friday they had to compete with Leeds Knights Ice hockey team playing (only 1300 but felt like an RL crowd) and Leeds United U23s playing Man City U23s at Elland Road...the attendance for the U23s was over 21k! 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Do you not think that as the biggest population centre to have a fully professional rugby league club in the UK they should?

Regardless of form, results, league position, training ground floods etc, Leeds should be the best supported club in the country.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Hope you enjoyed your visit to the LSV , I really felt for your lads , never stopped but totally outclassed 

It wasn't a good spectacle and a big worry for the rest of the season. Enjoyed the visit though cheers and taking in a RL match in general, totally hooked to the sport now and will go back and see the Broncos soon. The away support was either 4 or 6 as a couple of guys at the back may have been Leigh fans 😟

• Haha 1

Just now, London Balham Bronco said:

It wasn't a good spectacle and a big worry for the rest of the season. Enjoyed the visit though cheers and taking in a RL match in general, totally hooked to the sport now and will go back and see the Broncos soon. The away support was either 4 or 6 as a couple of guys at the back may have been Leigh fans 😟

You were spared the " you must have come in a taxi " song , not the best of games today , I was trying to ' gee up ' the lads in black when stood waiting behind the sticks in the 2 Nd half ,they probably thought I was taking the #### 

Not looking good for them , which worrys me , not good for the sport when a game is over after 12 minutes