Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)

4 hours ago, EggFace said:

But Warrington still pull bigger crowd then Warrington Football and Rugby Union ?

All the football fans in Warrington watch either  City , United , Everton or Liverpool.

And thankfully Rah Rah is irrelevant.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Eddie said:

9.1k at Hull this evening. Not too bad considering the kick off time and lack of away support. 

On 23/04/2022 at 07:43, Eddie said:

11k on a Friday night is worryingly low.

How is it that 9100 is not too bad, but 11,167 is worryingly low?

I thought Sunday was the preferred day for a lot of fans, surely 5:30pm is a reasonable time of day.  Both games were against French clubs with a similar number of away support.

54 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I thought Sunday was the preferred day for a lot of fans, surely 5:30pm is a reasonable time of day.  Both games were against French clubs with a similar number of away support.

It’s not too bad in comparison to their usual support. Hull weren’t averaging 16k a few seasons ago and are also in a smaller city than Leeds with two SL teams. 

34 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It’s not too bad in comparison to their usual support. Hull weren’t averaging 16k a few seasons ago and are also in a smaller city than Leeds with two SL teams. 

Leeds played Toulouse at home in the Super 8’s in 2018 and got 10,100

What year did Leeds average 16,000?

Edit, I’ve had a look, I believe Leeds have only averaged above 15k in 2 seasons at the height of the golden period, these came when Leeds won the Grand Final in 07, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15. Even during this time most seasons we were under 15k and under 13k in some years.

Hull averaged between 11,114 and 14,014 in this time.

CA31A559-E418-49D3-A532-20A69E6C5E0B.jpeg

Edited by Sir Kevin Sinfield

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Leeds played Toulouse at home in the Super 8’s in 2018 and got 10,100

What year did Leeds average 16,000?

Edit, I’ve had a look, I believe Leeds have only averaged above 15k in 2 seasons at the height of the golden period, these came when Leeds won the Grand Final in 07, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15. Even during this time most seasons we were under 15k and under 13k in some years.

Hull averaged between 11,114 and 14,014 in this time.

CA31A559-E418-49D3-A532-20A69E6C5E0B.jpeg

Ok fair enough I thought it was 16k, but even so 15k down to 11k is a massive drop off. I wouldn’t use the unpopular Super 8s as a comparison either. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Ok fair enough I thought it was 16k, but even so 15k down to 11k is a massive drop off. I wouldn’t use the unpopular Super 8s as a comparison either. 

Again a few points.

15K was our peak average at the height of being the most successful club in the history of the sport.

Of course we are not matching that figure sitting in 11th with 2 wins from 10.

Our average isn’t 11k and will be well above that for 2022.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Again a few points.

15K was our peak average at the height of being the most successful club in the history of the sport.

It is a fact that Leeds aren't the most successful club in the history of the sport. In fact for much of their history they were chronic underachievers.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Again a few points.

Most successful club in the history of the sport 😂😂😂 How is things on that other planet ?

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Again a few points.

As you appear to have correctly identified, it is only to be expected that clubs will lose fans when they're on a poor run. People want to watch a successful team. As that poor run gets longer, the loss escalates. Many people are drawn to watch the sport because members of their family and/or peer group take them along to a match. As existing fans turn away from their club, there are fewer people to take that tranche of potential fans along.

Wakefield haven't won anything of significance since the early 1960s, nor have Huddersfield, barring a solitary LLS. Salford haven't won anything of significance since the 1970s. It's worth bearing that in mind next time you start wanging on about their attendances. You won't, of course, because this playground level Leeds-are-big-an'-ace-an'-Wakefield-an'-Huddersfield-an'-Salford-are-small-an'-poo line that you like to shovel is all you've got.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, kiwi rhino said:

Plus this Friday they had to compete with Leeds Knights Ice hockey team playing (only 1300 but felt like an RL crowd) and Leeds United U23s playing Man City U23s at Elland Road...the attendance for the U23s was over 21k! 

I wish Football was not as big...can't stand the game and culture.

5 hours ago, Hammerless Nail said:

As you appear to have correctly identified, it is only to be expected that clubs will lose fans when they're on a poor run. People want to watch a successful team. As that poor run gets longer, the loss escalates. Many people are drawn to watch the sport because members of their family and/or peer group take them along to a match. As existing fans turn away from their club, there are fewer people to take that tranche of potential fans along.

Wakefield haven't won anything of significance since the early 1960s, nor have Huddersfield, barring a solitary LLS. Salford haven't won anything of significance since the 1970s. It's worth bearing that in mind next time you start wanging on about their attendances. You won't, of course, because this playground level Leeds-are-big-an'-ace-an'-Wakefield-an'-Huddersfield-an'-Salford-are-small-an'-poo line that you like to shovel is all you've got.

Ahem... Wakefield were back to back champions in 1967 and 1968, so much more recent than the early 60s 😉

It is though one of the major factors in retaining fans. Castleford and Featherstone have had more success in living memory. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I believe this worryingly low attendance was actually the best attendance of any game in the UK this weekend. Leeds are once again the best supported club in the country.

Yes that's true if you exclude the club with the highest crowds this year that is. 

14 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

You do appear to struggle with context. 

If Salford and Leeds both get 9k at their next home games, they won't both be equally good. 

On 23/04/2022 at 09:36, cookey said:

Varsity 2022, May 4, University of Leeds RUFC  v  Leeds Beckett University, an 18,000 sell out at Headingley. Wonder how much beer they will sell?!

Plenty of pished up students and a few drunk & disorderly’s id imagine on the day. Do rugby u**** fans blame football hooligans if they have any bother at their matches. Although if they still don’t boo an opponent going for goal 

On 23/04/2022 at 10:27, GUBRATS said:

Students up for a ###### up 

What does that have anything to do with RL ?

Do they have any bother at u**** games or are they all jolly good chaps. If there is any bother do they blame football hooligans like a lot of RL fans like too point the finger at, 

3 hours ago, Wholly Trinity said:

Ahem... Wakefield were back to back champions in 1967 and 1968, so much more recent than the early 60s 😉

It is though one of the major factors in retaining fans. Castleford and Featherstone have had more success in living memory. 

Much more ? , Like 3/4 years ? 😁

10 hours ago, Josef K said:

V Good crowd at the Cougars, id imagine the Swinton fan’s were disappointed with the result. 

Yes it was a good crowd. The Cougars do seem to be getting a lot of things right both on and off the field at the moment.

However Attendances are generally improved by having a winning team and the Cougars are playing some good rugby this season (so far).

To be fair to Swinton, they were second best on the day but their spirit was never broken and tried until the end.

• Like 1