Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)

3 hours ago, fevtom said:

Still think they'll top the attendance table at the end of the year? 

Sir Kev will almost certainly think so.

Myself, I think it will be close between Leeds, Saints and Wigan - perhaps a few bumper crowds for Saints will push them up to the top. 

Hopefully Leeds and Wigan, indeed everyone else, can start pushing back to better levels.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, fevtom said:

Still think they'll top the attendance table at the end of the year? 

10 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Sir Kev will almost certainly think so.

Myself, I think it will be close between Leeds, Saints and Wigan - perhaps a few bumper crowds for Saints will push them up to the top. 

Hopefully Leeds and Wigan, indeed everyone else, can start pushing back to better levels.

Yes I do, Saints have already played Wigan and Warrington at home, their local derby and 2nd biggest derby, they still have Wakefield, Huddersfield, Hull kr, Cas and Toulouse to play at home, Saints average will come down. The opposite is true for Leeds.

I also think we’ll again have the best attendance of the round again this week in, although it should be close between Leeds, Saints and Warrington.

1 minute ago, meast said:

Good job the Giants fans turned out in numbers then 😂

Saying that, £25 at that dump for a Thursday night game on TV, did anyone really expect anything substantially more?

Having grown up in Wakefield they literally have a free pass in terms of competition from other sports yet continually fail to engage the community. It has been a car crash of poor management for decades now. A crowd of 3k after 24 years of SL funding is pretty terrible.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Good job we are artifically handicapping clubs like Toulose with travel costs and championship clubs with a 12 team comp to protect this giant of the sport. 

For what it is worth I think the developement can turn this around significantly but that is dire. 

It's not even a lack of awareness, pretty much everyone in Wakefield will know of Wakefield Trinity. It is the only major sporting club holding the city's name. It has so often been seen as a car crash and unattractive to many locals.

9 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

That developement has to turn it around.  They are probably the team whose crowds relative to their potential catchment area of 100 k is the biggest to grow in SL.  

A shiny new 80% empty stand won't change anything 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Increased Commercial income to increase the budget so as not to be a basement dweller has to help increase the crowds.  Come charging out the gates next year.  Tap into those sponsors  bit of momentum...

If you say so 

6 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Increased Commercial income to increase the budget so as not to be a basement dweller has to help increase the crowds.  Come charging out the gates next year.  Tap into those sponsors  bit of momentum...

It just doesn't work like that. Similar to Bradford, the club is being run like a corner shop organisation. You cannot snap out of that mentality without changing the shopkeeper to someone with drive and vision.

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

3166 at Wakefield. Trinity really are that drunken uncle of Super League. 

Good job Bradford arent still playing at Dewsbury or Trinity couldve been the 4th biggest club in a Wakefield postcode this year.

FWIW, I think there’s a lot of untapped potential in Wakefield, and I know there’s a lot of optimism around the new stand, but considering how few people were sat in the seats tonight i’m not convinced it will make a huge difference. In fact it might just make the place look even emptier.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

You just told me on the other thread Wakey were miles ahead of clubs in Championship.  Now we shouldnt expect more than sub 4k?  Pick one mate. 

They are a SL club so are miles ahead, admittedly, their ground is a tip and the support isn't the best, but they're still miles ahead of York and Newcastle.

4 minutes ago, fevtom said:

Good job Bradford arent still playing at Dewsbury or Trinity couldve been the 4th biggest club in a Wakefield postcode this year.

FWIW, I think there’s a lot of untapped potential in Wakefield, and I know there’s a lot of optimism around the new stand, but considering how few people were sat in the seats tonight i’m not convinced it will make a huge difference. In fact it might just make the place look even emptier.

The untapped potential is the people who might actually sit in the seats and eat a few prawn sarnies. Wakefield like anywhere has pockets of affluent areas - the club just makes itself completely unappealing to that demographic. It is a completely wasted opportunity - a city with one major sports club holding its name.

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

So by your own arguement nothing to do with the club but the league. So not miles ahead,  merely propped up. 

If you removed Wakefield from SL next week and replaced them with an average championship side, would they immediately be better than Wakefield in every aspect?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Scubby said:

The untapped potential is the people who might actually sit in the seats and eat a few prawn sarnies. Wakefield like anywhere has pockets of affluent areas - the club just makes itself completely unappealing to that demographic. It is a completely wasted opportunity - a city with one major sports club called Wakefield.

You’re right, and I doubt one decent stand will bring the prawn sandwich brigade to an otherwise dilapidated ground, but I think there’s also a difference among the working class supporters. The lads I grew up with who played the game around Cas / Fev are still massively involved with the clubs, whereas all of the lads I played rugby with at 15/16 in Wakey seemed to grow apathetic towards the game.

Perhaps the smaller towns just have an advantage when theyre over represented at  the top level of sport and Wakefield are in the awkward position of being a medium sized city playing a medium sized sport.

3 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

I'll note that when York were on tv in the freezing cold of Monday vs Fev they got 3602.  So already better than Wakey. 

To be fair (and I have big hopes for York) that was the first game of the season and there was a massive away following.

They then had a gate of 1,562 against Dewsbury and then around 2,000 for two of their biggest games of the season against Leigh and Widnes. Since then they’ve refused to announce their attendances.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Leigh averaged 6000 in SL in last proper season they were in there.  Again this zero sum game at 12 leads to this reductive thinking . 

I hope the new stadium transforms Wakey but thats no reason to lock out others to protect them.

they aren't getting a new stadium just a new stand, the view of the rest of it will still be as bad just from higher up and in newer shinier seats. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

I'll note that when York were on tv in the freezing cold of Monday vs Fev they got 3602.  So already better than Wakey. 

All the talk is of either Leigh or Featherstone getting promoted, I’d love it if York sneaked in under the radar and won promotion this year. The new dual registration deal with Leeds could help if Leeds can get over the injury crisis.

There are some contradictions knocking around on here. 

We've spent the last 25 years berating Wakefield for their ground, and are now saying that even an improved ground would be unlikely to attract bigger crowds and corporates. So why are we bothered about the ground then?

In reality, Wakefield v Hudds on a Thursday night in an absolute dump for £25 when you can watch it on TV is a really tough sell for anyone. I cannot accept that there would be little upside in that same offering in better facilities. I accept the point that for Wakefield to realise their potential it may take very different leaders, but even on a basic level, if we believe facilities are important then we have to see growth on that number with improved facilities.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Leigh averaged 6000 in SL in last proper season they were in there.  Again this zero sum game at 12 leads to this reductive thinking . 

I hope the new stadium transforms Wakey but thats no reason to lock out others to protect them.

No way are Leigh averaging 6000 in 2023, 2017 is now history. Leigh are struggling to get 3k at the moment and given the fact they've been easybeats in SL on their last visit fans aren't going to be queuing up at the door. Also, the so-called away fans factor appears to have fallen off a cliff somewhat.