Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)

2 hours ago, meast said:

Some non league clubs are seeing attendances double, treble, even quadrupling in some cases!

Not surprising when you see the price of a ticket to watch a game of ' keep ball ' 

• Like 1

At most 600-700 London v Dewsbury... So we are getting the same attendances at PL as we got at Ealing.... Its a nice ground (PL), but completely unsuitable for a lower championship / League 1 Part Time team....

Would have been good for Super League, but its a huge white elephant for London atm

• Like 1

Can anyone help this poor chap who is doing the attendance figures for the Championship, The last few weeks have more holes than Swiss cheese.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_RFL_Championship_season_results

• Like 1

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

8 hours ago, RayCee said:

Can anyone help this poor chap who is doing the attendance figures for the Championship, The last few weeks have more holes than Swiss cheese.

I noticed in league express that many crowds were unannounced this week. Hopefully it’s not because they’re embarrassingly low. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RayCee said:

It’s a shame. York City Knights are a good example, they were giving attendances which were holding up well then last 2 home matches have decided not to bother.

Just to make it more annoying, Scarborough Athletic FC, recently of step 7 of the football pyramid, played a Mickey Mouse cup final at York’s stadium last night. 15mins after the match had kicked off they’d announced the crowd and put it on Twitter.

Edited by AB Knight
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, AB Knight said:

Just to make it more annoying, Scarborough Athletic FC, recently of step 7 of the football pyramid, played a Mickey Mouse cup final at York’s stadium last night. 15mins after the match had kicked off they’d announced the crowd and put it on Twitter.

1,400 there for that, it seems.

Non league football attendances do seem to be doing very well pretty much everywhere.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

42 minutes ago, AB Knight said:

It’s a shame. York City Knights are a good example, they were giving attendances which were holding up well then last 2 home matches have decided not to bother.

How much was the crowd though, could someone count it? 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

How much was the crowd though, could someone count it? 

Scarborough Athletic?

• Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

When people talk about non league clubs getting big crowds it should be pointed out they are mostly huge former league teams that found themselves down there as village teams doped themselves out of the conference. 

[Digression to respond - any further and it can go on to a separate AOB thread]

Should it?

Because that's not true.

Yes, there are the former league teams pulling in higher crowds in the Conference than they ever did when they were struggling in the league but I'm talking about the several hundred other clubs across the leagues and tiers who all seem to be doing very well indeed for attendances. Every league I look at seems to have increased this season against its pre pandemic average.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, gingerjon said:

[Digression to respond - any further and it can go on to a separate AOB thread]

Should it?

Because that's not true.

Yes, there are the former league teams pulling in higher crowds in the Conference than they ever did when they were struggling in the league but I'm talking about the several hundred other clubs across the leagues and tiers who all seem to be doing very well indeed for attendances. Every league I look at seems to have increased this season against its pre pandemic average.

There are 4 clubs in Yorkshire (*) alone that have pulled in over 1,000 gates this season at levels 8-10.

The national league isn't really non league anymore, it's the 5th professional tier.

Shame these crowd increases don't relate to RL!

(*)= One is in Humberside but I'll let them off 😜

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Any guesses at the cup final attendance? I’d say 15,000 from Wigan, 5,000 from Huddersfield, 20,000 neutrals so a total of 40,000. 

They will add on 1895 Cup sales too - at least another 5,000 across both teams.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Even I have to believe that giants take more than 5k.  First final in yonks,  new stadium.  Dodd will probably do something to reduce bus costs. 

Wigan no final (with fans) in a few years either.  

Hoping Giants can be aggressive and target 10k.  Pies 15k,  5k from both Fev and Leigh so thats 35k. Rfl should be able to sell or have sold  the rest. 

Clubs need to make money out of reaching finals, not subsidie the costs of fans travelling to the final. I think Huddersfield will take 10k, Wigan 20k, 2k-3k from Leigh and Featherstone, with approx 25k neutral RL fans/general sports fans/Tottenham fans.

Edited by Sir Kevin Sinfield

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Any guesses at the cup final attendance? I’d say 15,000 from Wigan, 5,000 from Huddersfield, 20,000 neutrals so a total of 40,000. 

It was over 50K when Catalans were in the final and 62K the following year. I seriously doubt that moving it to Spurs is going to knock 20k off the crowd figure.

2 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Of course but Ken isnt in it for the money and how many times will he get the chance to see his club in a final? 

Just hope they bring enough to make a racket. 

This will be his 3rd, not bad for a club who were a decent 2nd division side when he took over.

If HTFC get to the play off final i reckon we'd get quite a few doing both, we took 14,000 in 2009 no reason why we can't again.

16 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

I was trying to politely say he is getting on.  10k would be great.  Plus we've got a preview on Friday coming up. 

sorry i misinterpreted it, you obviously meant how many more times, yes i agree - great to see our future leader, his granddaughter clapping along to the cowbells in the posh seats too.

Oh and it's Thursday btw.

The biggest question I have with regard to crowds is why has the decline of crowds over the last few years continued since lockdown?

The comparison with soccer is significant and I don,t mean the top of their game but at the fourth and fifth tiers.