Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)

1 hour ago, meast said:

I was at the Huddersfield v York womens yesterday with a really enthusiastic crowd of around 300 present, if it's of any interest to anyone 🙂 

Really good to hear

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, Josef K said:

On Sky Sports on Thursday i am sure they said the Huddersfield gate was 4,269 but now it seems to have increased too 4,962. Not a bad gate for a Thursday evening. 

4,962 with 623 Wigan.

Not brilliant but Thursday night a week after semi finals and 2 weeks before an expensive cup finals isn't that bad, no doubt the empty seats will mean it's hammered elsewhere though.

6 hours ago, meast said:

4,962 with 623 Wigan.

Not brilliant but Thursday night a week after semi finals and 2 weeks before an expensive cup finals isn't that bad, no doubt the empty seats will mean it's hammered elsewhere though.

What are your thoughts on how Huddersfield Town reaching the championship play offs might affect Giants’ supports at Spurs mate? 

6 hours ago, Eddie said:

What are your thoughts on how Huddersfield Town reaching the championship play offs might affect Giants’ supports at Spurs mate? 

It could go either way, the relationship between the 2 sets of fans and indeed clubs aren't always great, I would think the hardcore for the rugby fans would be around 5-6,000 and then casual fans who watch rugby now and again maybe would add another 2-3,000 on top.

But the rest is a mystery, hopefully the casual sports fan will go to London and support both clubs, but then again, some may choose to just go to 1 final, and I fear they will pick HTAFC simply because it's football and it's at Wembley.

I can't see many real hardcore Huddersfield Town fans coming to Tottenham, or if they do, they'll more than likely support Wigan, such is the animosity and scorn they hold for the Giants and Ken.

I would think that maybe an extra 5,000 who wouldn't normally watch the Giants may come due to the fact that they're going to London already, but the cost of spending 2 days and nights in the capital may put a lot of people off.

I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't much of an overlap at all to be honest, they're 2 separate sports, 2 separate clubs with a different supporter base with a few, but not lots who actively follow both, I think the majority will pick one over the other.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

're attendances, Does anybody have a idea who gets the most paying spectators in the NCL ?. If you don't know fact, Who would you guess ?.

7 hours ago, meast said:

It could go either way, the relationship between the 2 sets of fans and indeed clubs aren't always great, I would think the hardcore for the rugby fans would be around 5-6,000 and then casual fans who watch rugby now and again maybe would add another 2-3,000 on top.

But the rest is a mystery, hopefully the casual sports fan will go to London and support both clubs, but then again, some may choose to just go to 1 final, and I fear they will pick HTAFC simply because it's football and it's at Wembley.

I can't see many real hardcore Huddersfield Town fans coming to Tottenham, or if they do, they'll more than likely support Wigan, such is the animosity and scorn they hold for the Giants and Ken.

I would think that maybe an extra 5,000 who wouldn't normally watch the Giants may come due to the fact that they're going to London already, but the cost of spending 2 days and nights in the capital may put a lot of people off.

I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't much of an overlap at all to be honest, they're 2 separate sports, 2 separate clubs with a different supporter base with a few, but not lots who actively follow both, I think the majority will pick one over the other.

May I politely ask why?

Why the hostility?

What is the difference in the base of the support?

I get why Tory Davy might be disliked though.

Just curious, given my experience here is support is really intermingled between the various Reds of Salford City, FC United, Manchester United  and them powder blues at Manchester City when it comes to SRD.

Edited by idrewthehaggis

32 minutes ago, idrewthehaggis said:

May I politely ask why?

Why the hostility?

Just curious, given my experience here is support is really intermingled between the various Reds of Salford City, FC United, Manchester United  and them powder blues at Manchester City when it comes to SRD.

A lot of the animosity is based around "our games harder etc than your game" or "your fans are all yobs". 90% of fans will either like both RL and football (if not the other team specifically) or are indifferent to the other club. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, idrewthehaggis said:

May I politely ask why?

Why the hostility?

Who cares who he votes for? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cw25 said:

're attendances, Does anybody have a idea who gets the most paying spectators in the NCL ?. If you don't know fact, Who would you guess ?.

I would have guessed one of the Cumbrian clubs, but as you’re obsessed with Oldham (that isn’t a criticism btw) it must be Saddleworth Rangers? 

Edited by Eddie
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, idrewthehaggis said:

May I politely ask why?

Why the hostility?

It all stems from Ken's time as chairman of Town, fuelled by their supporters association at the time, they believed he had bailed them out and then stolen their assets and shares and demanded he sold them back for ÂŁ1 each or whatever he acquired them for, they started a bitter, nasty, personal campaign against him which totally split the fanbases, which until that point had got on fairly well, both clubs doing reciprocal ticket deals for the other etc.

It's well known that there wasn't another credible bid on the table when Ken sought to bail the club out from administration, he then set up a holding company to safeguard both Giants and Towns shares in the stadium.

It all turned nasty and even to this day, a lot of Town fans believe he was a crook and tried shafting them.

There's also an issue that many HTAFC fans are from outside Huddersfield, notably with Wakefield postcodes and so tend to not support the Giants due to allegiances with other clubs.

The support base differs in geography which I've already mentioned, but also a lot of Town fans don't really give a toss about the town as it not really theirs, Fartown fans have immense pride in the town.

A lot of Town fans in Huddersfield support other clubs and just climb  on the bandwagon when they're doing well, but there's no such lift for the Giants.

Hope that helps a bit?

Edited by meast
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

A lot of the animosity is based around "our games harder etc than your game" or "your fans are all yobs". 90% of fans will either like both RL and football (if not the other team specifically) or are indifferent to the other club. 

Some Town fans and football fans in general are vehemently opposed to "egg chasing" and they believe it has no place in their stadium.

Many would openly celebrate at any potential demise for the Giants.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, meast said:

Some Town fans and football fans in general are vehemently opposed to "egg chasing" and they believe it has no place in their stadium.

Many would openly celebrate at any potential demise for the Giants.

It does add a different dimension to it definitely.

Cheers Meast and Tommy for satisfying my curiosity. I have a question about Fartown and why dont the Giants relocate there, but that really seriously hijacks this thread!!!

It is very much my belief that increasing attendances should be a Number One priority.

More fans equals more money.  ✔️

More fans equals more exposure. ✔️

An extra 1000 on every SL club game would mean an extra £3-4m into the Game. ✔️

29 minutes ago, idrewthehaggis said:

Cheers Meast and Tommy for satisfying my curiosity. I have a question about Fartown and why dont the Giants relocate there, but that really seriously hijacks this thread!!!

It is very much my belief that increasing attendances should be a Number One priority.

A lot of Giants fans would love for us to have our own 10-12,000 capacity stadium in which to earn our own revenue and some form of identity.

Since HTAFC have got good in the last 5 years, we don't have any identity or presence at the stadium, except for a 20 year old sign on the main stand.

The stadium is now solely aimed at Huddersfield Town, they have the means to be able to do it and sadly we have no say.

A return to Fartown would be absolutely fabulous but it's not going to happen now, there isn't the scope there to build a modern stadium and it's infrastructure.

A lot of people really don't like the stadium anymore.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, meast said:

A lot of Giants fans would love for us to have our own 10-12,000 capacity stadium in which to earn our own revenue and some form of identity.

Since HTAFC have got good in the last 5 years, we don't have any identity or presence at the stadium, except for a 20 year old sign on the main stand.

The stadium is now solely aimed at Huddersfield Town, they have the means to be able to do it and sadly we have no say.

A return to Fartown would be absolutely fabulous but it's not going to happen now, there isn't the scope there to build a modern stadium and it's infrastructure.

A lot of people really don't like the stadium anymore.

That really shouldn't be the case if the council own 40% and Huddersfield Giants own 20%.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, idrewthehaggis said:

I’m sure everyone would agree with that, but it’s far easier said than done. 

The championship should see some bumper attendances this weekend - predictions;

Fev v Haven - 3,900

Bradford Northern v Newcastle - 3,500

Batley v London - 950

Dewsbury v Barrow - 850

Leigh v Workington - 2,900

York v Halifax - 2,500

Sheffield v Widnes - 1,800

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fevtom said:

10,476 at Warrington last night. That takes their season average to 9,014 and they move above Cas in the attendance table.

Can't have been many Wire-Saints crowds as low as that since Wilderspool, I'd have thought?

6 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Can't have been many Wire-Saints crowds as low as that since Wilderspool, I'd have thought?

It beat last year's fixture by a few hundred, but it looks like other than that it was the lowest regular league game vs Saints for around 14 years. The fixture has dropped below 11k a few times though, particularly when a loop fixture.

Wire's support has been hovering between 7 and 8k for much of the season, it was the same again last night, and whilst that was bad, it could have been worse based on the amount of unrest and a Thurs TV game.  I thought it may have been below 10k tbh.