Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)

4 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Moving the event to Dublin in the future would I'm sure attract new fans to the game their and make people there more aware of our game

To what purpose though? Having a few thousand people in Dublin know what rugby league is would be netter than not of course, but unless they have a team in the English set up I don’t think it would be worthwhile. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Eddie said:

To what purpose though? Having a few thousand people in Dublin know what rugby league is would be netter than not of course, but unless they have a team in the English set up I don’t think it would be worthwhile. 

Just now, ShropshireBull said:

To go up against a Summer of GAA with no team of their own to support?  I doubt it. 

To attract new fans, but really it needs to be held where it attracts new fans, players and sponsors to the game. Newcastle for me ticks the boxes for now, or at least until Newcastle attain Super League status, or are attracting 4 figure + crowds on a regular basis, and for the future Sheffield could be interesting with having had a Super League team in the past, and a MW held in the West Midlands will certainly help the game there as well

There's a lot of outrage from fans about a couple of Wigan games being changed in the coming weeks for Sky at short notice. I know Sky pay the bills but surely this can't help attendances and makes comparisons to attendances before we had Thursday games invalid. The Hull KR game in particular being shifted will probably knock thousands off the gate and makes it practically impossible for away fans to attend. It would be great if we could at least have a bit of common sense around these moves.

Wigan Warriors’ Round 21 and 22 home games against Hull KR and Warrington Wolves have both been selected for broadcast by Sky Sports.
This means Wigan’s fixture against Hull KR has changed dates for a second time, now moving from Sunday 31st July to Thursday 28th (8pm K.O.). Please note that this is out of the Club’s control and we apologise for any inconvenience caused.

The broadcasting rights allow Sky to select games for broadcast with a minimum notice period and much depends on how the Betfred Super League season unfolds. More date changes for games could potentially occur before the end of the season and if this happens the Club will communicate with fans as soon as possible.

On Friday 5th August (8pm K.O.), the Warriors welcome Warrington to the DW Stadium, which will also be broadcast live on Sky Sports.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2022/07/13/warriors-selected-for-broadcast/

9 minutes ago, Damien said:

There's a lot of outrage from fans about a couple of Wigan games being changed in the coming weeks for Sky at short notice. I know Sky pay the bills but surely this can't help attendances and makes comparisons to attendances before we had Thursday games invalid. The Hull KR game in particular being shifted will probably knock thousands off the gate and makes it practically impossible for away fans to attend. It would be great if we could at least have a bit of common sense around these moves.

Wigan Warriors’ Round 21 and 22 home games against Hull KR and Warrington Wolves have both been selected for broadcast by Sky Sports.
This means Wigan’s fixture against Hull KR has changed dates for a second time, now moving from Sunday 31st July to Thursday 28th (8pm K.O.). Please note that this is out of the Club’s control and we apologise for any inconvenience caused.

The broadcasting rights allow Sky to select games for broadcast with a minimum notice period and much depends on how the Betfred Super League season unfolds. More date changes for games could potentially occur before the end of the season and if this happens the Club will communicate with fans as soon as possible.

On Friday 5th August (8pm K.O.), the Warriors welcome Warrington to the DW Stadium, which will also be broadcast live on Sky Sports.

Weren’t Wigan doing a promotion for the home games against both Hull teams in a bid to boost the attendance,can see why some fans might not be happy.

7 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Weren’t Wigan doing a promotion for the home games against both Hull teams in a bid to boost the attendance,can see why some fans might not be happy.

Yes they were, I had seen this advertised several times in the last few days.

21 minutes ago, Damien said:

This looks to be one of those areas where we have just allowed things to slip. I recall a few years ago we had an agreement with Sky that Thursday games would generally be for more local games, we would kick off earlier and that Thursday games in particular were announced we'll in advance. 

It's little things like this that Elstone and team were changing, maybe they should have been more interested in bigger things, but I do think lack of attention here is a challenge for us. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Damien said:

Less than three weeks notice?

That's poor.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 minutes ago, Josef K said:

Yes it does Eddie. A couple of season ticket holders who stand were i stand couldn’t go because they had covid. 

Do you know if they were included in the attendance figure or not though? 

9 minutes ago, Josef K said:

Yes it does Eddie. A couple of season ticket holders who stand were i stand couldn’t go because they had covid. 

Genuine question. If they can’t go, for any reason, can they give their tickets to someone else? And if they can, but didn’t, why not?

37 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Do you know if they were included in the attendance figure or not though? 

Id imagine they must do because they have bought a season ticket so it’d have to count on the official attendance. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, johnh1 said:

Genuine question. If they can’t go, for any reason, can they give their tickets to someone else? And if they can, but didn’t, why not?

Yes john i know someone who can’t make the Cas (H) game in August so he has lent it to someone who is a pay on the day fan because they works shifts. I think if Saints find an adult trying to get into the ground with a junior season ticket, the person trying to get in on the cheap will be banned. 

15 hours ago, Josef K said:

Id imagine they must do because they have bought a season ticket so it’d have to count on the official attendance. 

If thats your view, may i refer you to the Oxford English Dictionary and politely suggest you look up the word 'attendance'

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Josef K said:

What was the attendance at Salford because that was a great win for them. 

It was, despite the heat, a very boisterous crowd.  Which was remarked upon by the BBC and the club itself.

As for the numbers, it was notable that the old boys and families with younger children were absent. I do not blame them at all. Safety first.

An attendance was not given out at the game by the way. Maybe Mr Sadler knows.

To digress, it seems if you own your stadium then missing STH are counted, whilst those who do not like SRD or Wigan they do not. 

1 hour ago, idrewthehaggis said:

It was, despite the heat, a very boisterous crowd.  Which was remarked upon by the BBC and the club itself.

As for the numbers, it was notable that the old boys and families with younger children were absent. I do not blame them at all. Safety first.

An attendance was not given out at the game by the way. Maybe Mr Sadler knows.

To digress, it seems if you own your stadium then missing STH are counted, whilst those who do not like SRD or Wigan they do not. 

Wigan absolutely include their non attending season ticket holders. And I’d be pretty sure that Salford do as well. In fact, it’s harder not to include them as every single club/stadium would need to know the total ticket sales (including season ticket holders) to know what they have available to sell, and that is invariably what is announced.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Wigan absolutely include their non attending season ticket holders. And I’d be pretty sure that Salford do as well. In fact, it’s harder not to include them as every single club/stadium would need to know the total ticket sales (including season ticket holders) to know what they have available to sell, and that is invariably what is announced.

Apparently SRD don't. Or more accurately the Stadium company do not. Each ticket/STH gets barcoded at the gate. It has reported so in the Guardian, MEN and erm by Marwan. One game it was 60% of the STHs didn't attend. I think it was that plus other things, which helped MK to spin off.

Edited by idrewthehaggis