Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)

4 minutes ago, idrewthehaggis said:

Apparently SRD don't. Or more accurately the Stadium company do not. Each ticket/STH gets barcoded at the gate. It has reported so in the Guardian, MEN and erm by Marwan. One game it was 60% of the STHs didn't attend. I think it was that plus other things, which helped MK to spin off.

Once they've paid , who cares 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ragingbull said:

If thats your view, may i refer you to the Oxford English Dictionary and politely suggest you look up the word 'attendance'

Raging the Saints/Wigan game on good friday was a sellout but i know of two people who had tickets but couldn’t attend. The attendance was announced as 17,980 and not 17,978. 

8 hours ago, Ragingbull said:

If thats your view, may i refer you to the Oxford English Dictionary and politely suggest you look up the word 'attendance'

Always surprised by the ignorance on this. 

Every sport announces 'attendance' as tickets sold. That's partially because it's a more positive figure, but also the actual number of people in the stadium is often unknown certainly at the time.

Tickets may be scanned on entry, but always issues with it not being read correctly. So we used to have 2 figures - tickets sold & scanned tickets - with the truth an unknown figure in between the two.

1 minute ago, Cowardly Fan said:

Always surprised by the ignorance on this. 

Every sport announces 'attendance' as tickets sold. That's partially because it's a more positive figure, but also the actual number of people in the stadium is often unknown certainly at the time.

Tickets may be scanned on entry, but always issues with it not being read correctly. So we used to have 2 figures - tickets sold & scanned tickets - with the truth an unknown figure in between the two.

In fairness there is a legal requirement for grounds over 1,500 capacity to know exactly how many people are in the stadium so that will always be known (at the bigger grounds there are usually computerised turnstile counters that work alongside the scanners, while all turnstiles have manual counters attached as a last resort), albeit not publicised purely because of the inevitable difference to the announced gate. Then again, at Workington last week my entry process consisted of chucking a paper ticket in to an Asda bag and walking through an open gate so swings and roundabouts and that. 

8 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

In fairness there is a legal requirement for grounds over 1,500 capacity to know exactly how many people are in the stadium so that will always be known (at the bigger grounds there are usually computerised turnstile counters that work alongside the scanners, while all turnstiles have manual counters attached as a last resort), albeit not publicised purely because of the inevitable difference to the announced gate. Then again, at Workington last week my entry process consisted of chucking a paper ticket in to an Asda bag and walking through an open gate so swings and roundabouts and that. 

In my experience working for a football club I didn't see an exact reliable count & it was something relevant to my job.

We had the electronic scanning as you say, then human error for the backup & counting for hospitality was less reliable. You could definitely narrow it down to within a couple of %, but no exact figure as far as I knew. Potentially it's improved in last few years

18 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

If it works , it works 

8 minutes ago, Cowardly Fan said:

In my experience working for a football club I didn't see an exact reliable count & it was something relevant to my job.

We had the electronic scanning as you say, then human error for the backup & counting for hospitality was less reliable. You could definitely narrow it down to within a couple of %, but no exact figure as far as I knew. Potentially it's improved in last few years

SG03 C4.9
Turnstile monitoring
Section 16.11 of the Green Guide recommends that it must always be possible to monitor accurately the number of spectators entering specific sections of the venue and to relay these numbers quickly, accurately and regularly to the control point.
Where the turnstile metering is computerised, the display monitor should be sited in the control point where it can be viewed by the safety officer.
In the absence of computerised screen displays or read-outs, an efficient system of communication must be established between the turnstiles and the control point – using runners, landlines or radios – with clear, written records kept at regular intervals using wipe boards and/or pro-formas. The written records should indicate the section of the venue, the numbers of spectators occupying that section and the time of the count. These written records need to be immediately available to the safety officer.

1 hour ago, Josef K said:

Raging the Saints/Wigan game on good friday was a sellout but i know of two people who had tickets but couldn’t attend. The attendance was announced as 17,980 and not 17,978. 

So what your saying is the Saints stadium manager also needs directing to the dictionary? 

Either anounce it as "The number of tickets sold for todays game was xxxx"

Or anounce the "attendance" as the number of people actually inside the ground. 

Very unlikely the 2 figures are the same.

Oh and its not a personal dig at you or Saints.  My own club has been guilty of the same this season

Edited by Ragingbull
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ragingbull said:

So what your saying is the Saints stadium manager also needs directing to the dictionary? 

Either anounce it as "The number of tickets sold for todays game was xxxx"

Or anounce the "attendance" as the number of people actually inside the ground. 

Very unlikely the 2 figures are the same.

Oh and its not a personal dig at you or Saints.  My own club has been guilty of the same this season

No problem at all Raging. Clubs might think the fans have paid for their tickets so they’re added to the attendance. 

• Haha 1

On 18/07/2022 at 21:57, Scubby said:

Those players deserve better than that.

On 18/07/2022 at 21:44, meast said:

2,270 I think I read at Salford?

It is reported as 2600 people plus Ian Watson on the Beeb.

Proof in the pudding that the Stadium Company do not count non attending STH nor the 800-1000 kids from local school and RL clubs that attended. nor those who attended the Women's game before hand.

Still not great, but I will be honest it wasn't comfortable in that heat. I don't blame people if they stayed indoors.

We all need more spectators attending.

Edited by idrewthehaggis
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, idrewthehaggis said:

It is reported as 2600 people plus Ian Watson on the Beeb.

Proof in the pudding that the Stadium Company do not count non attending STH nor the 800-1000 kids from local school and RL clubs that attended. nor those who attended the Women's game before hand.

Still not great, but I will be honest it wasn't comfortable in that heat. I don't blame people if they stayed indoors.

We all need more spectators attending.

Yep.  Wire down 20% 😳

15 minutes ago, meast said:

Leeds v Wigan SHOULD be pulling in 13k every time to be fair.

Well yes, I made the point to my mate last night that a decade ago that would be a 15-18k crowd. But Thursday night and with the general malaise in casual support and the sport more broadly I think its not bad going. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Well yes, I made the point to my mate last night that a decade ago that would be a 15-18k crowd. But Thursday night and with the general malaise in casual support and the sport more broadly I think its not bad going. 

The atmosphere did seem particularly boisterous and even the North Stand looked ok. Shows that, even on a Thursday, we've got an attractive product for Sky. It's easy to forget that you used to be able to make out the letters in the paddock seats before the 'golden generation' era

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Josef K said:

I don’t know how many was on at FC but i don’t blame them for walking out early.
Id imagine it was the same with the Wire fans and the rain we have had over here id be surprised if they got 8,000 tonight. 

Have you lucky sods in the NW actually had some rain? I wish we had, haven’t had a drop in the RL hotbed of East Anglia for weeks 😬

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Have you lucky sods in the NW actually had some rain? I wish we had, haven’t had a drop in the RL hotbed of East Anglia for weeks 😬

Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbott have been on at Saints tonight and all it has done is lash it down. But those i spoke to said “it was still a great night, and made even better with Wire losing”.

I’m not one of those whom dislikes clubs or fans. 

• Like 1