Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)

10 hours ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Fair point. But I do think that late teens age is the real 'danger point' where we are likely to lose fan engagement - as many sports are. The problem is that RL is particularly poorly equiped to deal with that loss. 

Huddersfield is also an interesting case due to geography - it's basically a commuter town now for people in Leeds and Manchester (especially for couples where one works in each city). These are people who likely have very little connection to Huddersfield and spend very little time in it, so what appeal do the Giants hold?

That doesn't necessarily mean the club should throw in the towel and accept their lot, but it does mean that have to work a lot harder to get people to see the Giants as a good way to spend £20 on a Sunday afternoon. 

Bang on, Huddersfield is a commuter/student town these days and most of them have no connection at all with the town apart from living here, there is probably more chance of them watching Sale RU or Leeds Utd than Huddersfield Giants, if they do support the local team it will 99% be Huddersfield Town.

I would hazard a guess that a high percentage of these incomers wouldn't have a clue who the Giants are and Fartown is nothing more than a suburb of the town they now reside in.

We will never give in but i think the club will always know we are fighting a losing battle with regard to getting the resident of Huddersfield interested.

9 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

If you settle in Huddersfield with a young family, you might start dipping your toe in with Town, even if you were brought up elsewhere, as football is something that almost everyone has a connection with. 

Absolutely, as we saw when Town got promoted to the premier league, folk who had an affiliation to their own local club were happy to become Town fans for a couple of years despite having no previous interest for them, maybe if we win the Grand Final the same might happen but i seriously doubt it, we couldn't even tap into the public for a Cup Final, how many other towns would have that problem? whole towns turn out sometimes it seems.

• Like 1

I imagine a lot of potential Huddersfield fans have been put off down the years by the 19th century ticket buying experience where you either pay in cash or queue with 100+ others while three very unfortunate members of staff manually type in your bank details (no card readers here please) and then hand-write (I'm not joking) your ticket.

I can't wait to see what I'll find at Wakey or Cas.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 minute ago, Just Browny said:

I imagine a lot of potential Huddersfield fans have been put off down the years by the 19th century ticket buying experience where you either pay in cash or queue with 100+ others while three very unfortunate members of staff manually type in your bank details (no card readers here please) and then hand-write (I'm not joking) your ticket.

I'm going to work on the assumption that Huddersfield Town use a different system.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 hours ago, Just Browny said:

I can't wait to see what I'll find at Wakey or Cas.

If your referring to Saturday's game that was because the ticketing system had crashed, it was either do it that way or turn you away......it was a one-off issue due to technical issues of which i am certain, as they were with everyone, they informed you of this before you queued but you either missed that or chose to pretend you didn't know so you could 'have a dig' on a forum...... i'm sure you have access to internet yourself to allow you to pre-buy like most of us do in the 21st century.

Edited by daz39

11 minutes ago, SalfordSlim said:

Would be interesting to see what % of each club's fans followed their team away from home. As a Salford fan we get mocked for our home support but I bet we'd be up near the top % wise with regards our away following.

For the size of Salford's crowds their support - not in numbers, is generally very good and always seem to be very noisy, looking forward to being part of the huge Giants army descending on the AJ Bell in a couple of weeks time.

As for your main point i've always thought this would be interesting, We generally take around 200-250 average to away games, around 5% of our home crowds, going by the last few years that's probably on a par with most clubs who generally take a lot smaller numbers than before, even the top supported sides are not that much higher in percentage wise.

We were mocked for our lack of numbers in the cup final but it was around 150% of our usual home support, The big clubs would be taking around 35,000 if they matched those numbers.

Edited by daz39

1 hour ago, daz39 said:

If your referring to Saturday's game that was because the ticketing system had crashed, it was either do it that way or turn you away......it was a one-off issue due to technical issues of which i am certain, as they were with everyone, they informed you of this before you queued but you either missed that or chose to pretend you didn't know so you could 'have a dig' on a forum...... i'm sure you have access to internet yourself to allow you to pre-buy like most of us do in the 21st century.

Nope, nobody told me that whatsoever so I'm surprised you know that they did. What happened is exactly as I described but it is good to hear that it isn't the norm. 

I'd have liked to pre-buy the tickets but there was one of our party whose attendance was in doubt until late on. I rolled the dice and made the assumption it wasn't going to be a sellout.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Double post 

Edited by Just Browny

1 hour ago, daz39 said:

For the size of Salford's crowds their support - not in numbers, is generally very good and always seem to be very noisy, looking forward to being part of the huge Giants army descending on the AJ Bell in a couple of weeks time.

As for your main point i've always thought this would be interesting, We generally take around 200-250 average to away games, around 5% of our home crowds, going by the last few years that's probably on a par with most clubs who generally take a lot smaller numbers than before, even the top supported sides are not that much higher in percentage wise.

We were mocked for our lack of numbers in the cup final but it was around 150% of our usual home support, The big clubs would be taking around 35,000 if they matched those numbers

TBH 5% does seem really low.

If you look at say Wigan who average I guess 11k-12k (?) at home that would only equate to 550-600. You'd think that for any games outside Hull/HKR/Cats/TO they should be taking 1000 minimum.

I bet for the Lancs clubs Salford regularly take the best part of 1000 fans (*sits back and waits for howls of derision😂). Now if we're averaging only 3500 at home that's 35% of our fan base. If you halve that for say Leeds/Wakey/Cas and say 500 fans that's still a healthy 17.5%. FC & HKR you might be looking at 300-400 on a Sat/Sun but may struggle to get 200-250 on a Friday night.

1 hour ago, Just Browny said:

Nope, nobody told me that whatsoever so I'm surprised you know that they did. What happened is exactly as I described but it is good to hear that it isn't the norm. 

I'd have liked to pre-buy the tickets but there was one of our party whose attendance was in doubt until late on. I rolled the dice and made the assumption it wasn't going to be a sellout.

When i was there and around the ticket office there was a club official going around informing people, i guess they had probably gone to do their other jobs then by the time you came, and no it's not the norm, i can't actually believe you would seriously for 1 minute think it was!

1 hour ago, SalfordSlim said:

If you look at say Wigan who average I guess 11k-12k (?) at home that would only equate to 550-600. You'd think that for any games outside Hull/HKR/Cats/TO they should be taking 1000 minimum.

I bet for the Lancs clubs Salford regularly take the best part of 1000 fans (*sits back and waits for howls of derision😂). Now if we're averaging only 3500 at home that's 35% of our fan base. If you halve that for say Leeds/Wakey/Cas and say 500 fans that's still a healthy 17.5%. FC & HKR you might be looking at 300-400 on a Sat/Sun but may struggle to get 200-250 on a Friday night.

1,000? i don't know about other grounds but it's usually in the low -mid hundreds at our place, and yes for Wigan, Leeds and wire they rarely bring more than 10% of their home crowds these days.

12 minutes ago, daz39 said:

1,000? i don't know about other grounds but it's usually in the low -mid hundreds at our place, and yes for Wigan, Leeds and wire they rarely bring more than 10% of their home crowds these days.

Low to mid 100's?!😲 Haha behave, I bet the least we've brought to Hudds in the last half a dozen years would be 500-600 on a bad day as it's on the "ale trail" route and a lot of fans make a day of it.😁🍺 

Would be good if clubs released accurate attendance figures though. I've definitely been baffled in the past when attendances have been announced at the AJ Bell and there looks a lot more than stated. I guess freebies probably aren't counted though and we've been handing out a few to community clubs/schools recently to try and generate more local interest.

3 hours ago, SalfordSlim said:

Oh god, it's another version of the "if London drew the same percentage of their population as Fev do then they'd have 464,000 in the crowd" nonsense.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 hours ago, johnh1 said:

6752 on Saturday.      4011 on Sunday

It's just a poor attendence when many of those people only went to 'their game'

There can't have been more than a few hundred in the ground for London vs Sheffield. Even at the start of the Bulls game it seemed very sparse.

Same on the Sunday - by the time a lhe lot of the Barrow and Widnes supporters drifted away it looked like a ghost town

The only point it felt like a decent atmosphere was towards the end of the Bulls vs Halifax game when a lot of the Fev and Leigh fans had arrived. Maybe there were around 6000 in for that half an hour or so.