Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)

9 hours ago, soulboy said:

I remember Bobby Wanbon playing for Warrington.

He played in CC final against Featherstone Rovers In 74 and against Widnes in 75 .

He was also the landlord of The Old Ball Pub in Warrington . The pub has been demolished and is now a car wash . 

If the pub was still open , it would have been about 50 yards away from The Halliwell Jones , IKEA flat pack stadium .

You got him.

Later on he was landlord of the Howley Inn, Howley, with his wife Jean.

Thanks for saying hello.

You will almost certainly remember then, Mike Nicholas, Frank (Francis) Reynolds and Dennis Curling and for a short while, Clive Jones (all from Aberavon) playing at Warrington at the same time? 

3 minutes ago, RayCee said:

For the Championship and League 1 attendances, simply follow the link:

https://rugbyl.blogspot.com/

Any additional info or general critiquing welcome. 

Thanks Ray. 

Is Rochdale really 466 - that’s hideous. Good to see Keighley, Barrow and Fev’s crowds grow by so much. And as a critique I’m fairly sure Widnes aren’t averaging 11k (an error I know). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Thanks Ray. 

Is Rochdale really 466 - that’s hideous. Good to see Keighley, Barrow and Fev’s crowds grow by so much. And as a critique I’m fairly sure Widnes aren’t averaging 11k (an error I know). 

That Rockdale figure correct with two last matches estimated according to the general trend for the season. Poor it is indeed. The error for Widnes is fixed as much as I wish it was accurate. 

• Like 1

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

5 hours ago, soulboy said:

From the Warrington Guardian.

From 1977 until 1999 he was behind the bar at various watering holes, starting at The Prince of Wales, moving on to the Old Ball, The Howley, the King and Queen before finishing at the Red Lion in Stockton Heath.

👍

2 hours ago, fighting irish said:

You got him.

Later on he was landlord of the Howley Inn, Howley, with his wife Jean.

Thanks for saying hello.

You will almost certainly remember then, Mike Nicholas, Frank (Francis) Reynolds and Dennis Curling and for a short while, Clive Jones (all from Aberavon) playing at Warrington at the same time? 

Certainly do remember all those names and watching them play for Warrington.

I was a fanatical Warrington fan .

Clive Jones lives in Sankey and you often see Nicho in Stockton Heath .

I also remember The Burma Star club which was very near to the Old Ball .

My favourite match is when we beat the Aussies 15 / 12 at Wilderspool , Oct 1978 , Wednesday evening , overcast but mild.

The atmosphere was electric .

Mike Nicholas virtually took on the whole Aussie pack .

Alan Gwilliam scored the winner at the Fletcher Street End . The whole end went berserk.

Hundreds stayed after the final whistle singing and chanting, it was epic.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

Thanks Ray. 

It's sad to see Rochdale struggle for crowds. They had a good Championship side when I began watching and made the grand final which would have seen them promoted.

11 hours ago, RayCee said:

That Rockdale figure correct with two last matches estimated according to the general trend for the season. Poor it is indeed. The error for Widnes is fixed as much as I wish it was accurate. 

Wasn’t there a limited capacity for Rochdale matches this season ?. 

31 minutes ago, Josef K said:

Wasn’t there a limited capacity for Rochdale matches this season ?. 

Yeah looks like all kinds of issues with the football club. In an ideal world Hornets would find their own home but that would seem a big challenge.

• Like 1

2127 at Thunder yesterday, despite the result it was a really positive day off the field.

Well done to all the kids, parents and volunteers who took part in the community festival and also to the hard working staff for making it happen.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Phil W said:

2127 at Thunder yesterday, despite the result it was a really positive day off the field.

Well done to all the kids, parents and volunteers who took part in the community festival and also to the hard working staff for making it happen.

Great crowd Phil. Why are performances so erratic? I know it was Leigh but Thunder appear to be either highly competitive or a complete basket case?

27 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Great crowd Phil. Why are performances so erratic? I know it was Leigh but Thunder appear to be either highly competitive or a complete basket case?

We're consistently inconsistent.

Injuries and suspensions haven't helped. Sam Halsall is back at Wigan now but we always looked a better team with him in understandably.

O'Carroll is yet to be replaced, I think there will be a plan in place here but will be interested to see who we bring in. It has looked a bit like Bradford was our big game and since then the season's gone flat.

During the season we lost Hallas back to Bradford and Minns to Wakefield. Given the above consistency in selection has been difficult. 

Ultimately I don't think there's anyone hiding from the fact that results have been disappointing but It is a tough league and won't be any easier next season.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Phil W said:

We're consistently inconsistent.

Injuries and suspensions haven't helped. Sam Halsall is back at Wigan now but we always looked a better team with him in understandably.

O'Carroll is yet to be replaced, I think there will be a plan in place here but will be interested to see who we bring in. It has looked a bit like Bradford was our big game and since then the season's gone flat.

During the season we lost Hallas back to Bradford and Minns to Wakefield. Given the above consistency in selection has been difficult. 

Ultimately I don't think there's anyone hiding from the fact that results have been disappointing but It is a tough league and won't be any easier next season.

Do you think the board and moneymen are still enthusiastic about remaining professional Phil, after this disappointing season? 

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Do you think the board and moneymen are still enthusiastic about remaining professional Phil, after this disappointing season? 

I think the owner still has that vision yes. But most people understand that this isn't going to be an overnight success strory. The club has to have foundations in place and that stems from the grass roots.

There's a real focus on re-building the community game, post-Covid as a stronger community game helps Thunder. I'll post the link below of the programme from yesterday and on page three Keith Christie talks a lot of sense on this and I look forward to seeing the plans in the coming weeks.

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/67147727/newcastle-thunder-vs-leigh-programme

Hopefully the above link works.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Phil W said:

I think the owner still has that vision yes. But most people understand that this isn't going to be an overnight success strory. The club has to have foundations in place and that stems from the grass roots.

There's a real focus on re-building the community game, post-Covid as a stronger community game helps Thunder. I'll post the link below of the programme from yesterday and on page three Keith Christie talks a lot of sense on this and I look forward to seeing the plans in the coming weeks.

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/67147727/newcastle-thunder-vs-leigh-programme

Hopefully the above link works.

This is great to hear. Realistic but positive given 2022 has been tough.

I didn't heard about the Moody Cup until it was too late to enter but it looks like it's been a big success. Is it annual? Does it have a fixed slot in the calendar? 

• Like 1