Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)

50 minutes ago, meast said:

I'll post the away figures for Huddersfield later and it may come as a surprise to many who think they outnumber the home fans.

Remember it's empty seats in the home stands Vs empty seats in the allocated away section not people actually sat in them!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, meast said:

I'll post the away figures for Huddersfield later and it may come as a surprise to many who think they outnumber the home fans.

Meast, do you have any idea how many away fans would typically make up attendance numbers as a percentage? 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

Salford have sold out their initial allocation of 1500 for the game at Hudds. 2nd allocation arrived today. Hoping for a following of around 3000. Should make for a good atmosphere.............in the away end at least!

Edited by johnh1
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, johnh1 said:

Salford have sold out their initial allocation of 1500 for the game at Hudds. 2nd allocation arrived today. Hoping for a following of around 3000. Should make for a good atmosphere.

How many extra home fans will Hudds pull in on Saturday? Footy team is away at QPR so that should bring a few extra through the turnstiles. Is 10k asking too much?

8 minutes ago, SalfordSlim said:

How many extra home fans will Hudds pull in on Saturday? Footy team is away at QPR so that should bring a few extra through the turnstiles. Is 10k asking too much?

Very few and no, nowhere near - 6 maybe at a push.

I believe the max allocation for away fans these days is 2,400

6 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Why only 2400 for away fans in a stadium with a 24,000 capacity? There were 4000+ Salford fans at Wigan in 2019 for the play-off match and over 3000 I think for the CC semi at the HJ back in 2017.

I've just checked Wikipedia and it says South Stand holds 4054 but capacity for football is reduced to 2500 for segregation but is that really necessary for RL? And if it is, why not give us part of West/East Stand if we need it?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, daz39 said:

When you say 6.... you're talking about home fans right? Because if we're bringing 2500+ that would only mean 3500 home fans if it's a combined figure.

33 minutes ago, SalfordSlim said:

Why only 2400 for away fans in a stadium with a 24,000 capacity? There were 4000+ Salford fans at Wigan in 2019 for the play-off match and over 3000 I think for the CC semi at the HJ back in 2017.

I've just checked Wikipedia and it says South Stand holds 4054 but capacity for football is reduced to 2500 for segregation but is that really necessary for RL? And if it is, why not give us part of West/East Stand if we need it?

Yes, it's segregated now because of football, so only the 'away' section is used for rugby, i would imagine it's due to cost - no point paying for extra stewarding and catering staff etc when we don't need to, i doubt they'd pay the extra just to accomodate a few more Salford fans.

That section hasn't been full for years.

Salford would have to sell over 3,000 to get the full stand opened to them, as far as i am aware they have only had 1,500 tickets and not sold them yet.

Edited by daz39

6 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Yes, it's segregated now because of football, so only the 'away' section is used for rugby, i would imagine it's due to cost - no point paying for extra stewarding and catering staff etc when we don't need to, i doubt they'd pay the extra just to accomodate a few more Salford fans.

That section hasn't been full for years.

Surely if Salford wanted to bring an extra 500 fans at £25 (?) a head plus a few pints and pies it would be worth opening an extra section. While I appreciate the logistics, having a 25,000 stadium with 6,500 people in and refusing to open 500 more sounds tin pot. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, johnh1 said:

Salford have sold out their initial allocation of 1500 for the game at Hudds. 2nd allocation arrived today. Hoping for a following of around 3000. Should make for a good atmosphere.

Id imagine you will out nimber the home fans.  

We see it year on year home fans dont seem to bother with play off games and attendances are usually lower than league games. 

It seems absolute crazy to me fans go week in week out hoping to see their teams make the play offs then when they get there the fans dont bother to turn up. 

Compare that with other sports around the world.  In the US ticket prices go through the roof for play off games (hundreds if dollars) yet still sell out.  

Both playoff this week at Penrith and Cronulla have already sold out. 

Football league play offf crowds are usually extremely healthy so its not even a British thing.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SalfordSlim said:

When you say 6.... you're talking about home fans right? Because if we're bringing 2500+ that would only mean 3500 home fans if it's a combined figure.

Yes, 6,000 total, possibly 7 at a massive push, our fans are notorious at not turning up when they have to pay, we don't ever get near 100% of season card holders for a league game so i can't see all of them plus 4,000 extra turning up.

23 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Surely if Salford wanted to bring an extra 500 fans at £25 (?) a head plus a few pints and pies it would be worth opening an extra section. While I appreciate the logistics, having a 25,000 stadium with 6,500 people in and refusing to open 500 more sounds tin pot. 

Makes no difference to our club, we don't get any concessions sales and the gate money gets shared between all the play-off clubs, we have to pay for the amount of seats that are effectively available so we won't make a penny out of it but would still have to pay!!

They aren't refusing to open it, they will if sales deem it viable.

• Thanks 1

I think that's because the home team in the play-off's are pretty much always one of the "big boys" @Raging Bull. Only 9247/9858 fans were at the 2x Wigan-Salford play-off games in 2019 and Salford managed to attract enough "glory hunters" to take over 4k for the semi-final (I missed the "qualifier" so not sure how many we took that day). Were Wigan fans just expecting to roll us over and then all turn up for the GF at OT? I can't say TBH but I'm pretty sure if roles were reversed and those games were played at the AJ Bell then Salford's average attendance would've probably gone up by at least 50%. Maybe it's a lethargy thing with fans of successful clubs in RL? Maybe they're that used to winning they pick and choose their games more than the perennial cellar-dwellers and when post-season games aren't part of their season ticket they choose to save a few quid until the inevitable GF appearance arrives?

Edited by SalfordSlim

21 minutes ago, Ragingbull said:

Id imagine you will out nimber the home fans.  

We see it year on year home fans dont seem to bother with play off games and attendances are usually lower than league games. 

It seems absolute crazy to me fans go week in week out hoping to see their teams make the play offs then when they get there the fans dont bother to turn up. 

Compare that with other sports around the world.  In the US ticket prices go through the roof for play off games (hundreds if dollars) yet still sell out.  

Both playoff this week at Penrith and Cronulla have already sold out. 

Football league play offf crowds are usually extremely healthy so its not even a British thing.  

Same here, it's baffling, though i doubt they'd outnumber us, even selling 2,500 would mean that less than 50% of our season card holders never mind non holders haven't bothered to turn up for a play-off eliminator for them to outnumber us, i can't see that myself as bad as our fans are.

9 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Makes no difference to our club, we don't get any concessions sales and the gate money gets shared between all the play-off clubs, we have to pay for the amount of seats that are effectively available so we won't make a penny out of it but would still have to pay!!

Wow...the sooner you can get your own place the better 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, daz39 said:

That’s a terrible arrangement isn’t it, for HG I mean 😞 

20 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Nothing we can do about it, the Stadium management company dish the contracts out, we have absolutely no visibility in that place whatsoever.

How much do thr Giants pay each year to play at the stadium, and do you effectively get some of it back as co-owner? ie both tenant and landlord? 

14 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

How much do thr Giants pay each year to play at the stadium, and do you effectively get some of it back as co-owner? ie both tenant and landlord? 

Not sure, last i knew both us and the football club paid rent based on average crowds over the year, i think it cost us something like £3 for every fan in the ground.

• Thanks 1