Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)

33 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Not sure, last i knew both us and the football club paid rent based on average crowds over the year, i think it cost us something like £3 for every fan in the ground.

Bloody hell £10 a season is a bargain!!!😉

Haha sorry, I had to beat someone else to it.😁

So if my maths is correct that's around £215k a season....based on 5500 (ave crowd) x£3 x13 (home games)?

Salford's rent at the AJ Bell for 2023 onwards was quoted at something like £650k-£750k (having been £150k I think previously).😱

2 minutes ago, SalfordSlim said:

Bloody hell £10 a season is a bargain!!!😉

Haha sorry, I had to beat someone else to it.😁

So if my maths is correct that's around £215k a season....based on 5500 (ave crowd) x£3 x13 (home games)?

Salford's rent at the AJ Bell for 2023 onwards was quoted at something like £650k-£750k (having been £150k I think previously).😱

It's also less than both Wigan and Hull pay for their groundshares. 

I know everyone raps the Giants' ground - and even their loyal fans on here say they'd love to move to a smaller place - but in the absence of millions falling into their lap to fund a move, they have a pretty good stadium deal, perhaps thanks to their part ownership?

I reckon it's one of the reasons they've been able to put a decent team together given their crowds. 

6 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

I reckon it's one of the reasons they've been able to put a decent team together given their crowds. 

I think having an owner worth £75m might have something to do with that! Shows what can be done with a wealthy owner if money is wisely spent and not just thrown around willy nilly (Marwan!).

11 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

It's also less than both Wigan and Hull pay for their groundshares. 

I know everyone raps the Giants' ground - and even their loyal fans on here say they'd love to move to a smaller place - but in the absence of millions falling into their lap to fund a move, they have a pretty good stadium deal, perhaps thanks to their part ownership?

Not really, HTFC have operational rights and technically sub-lease the stadium to us, we cannot sell our 20% shares, we cannot make any money from Sponsorship of the ground, we cannot negotiate or receive any income from catering, we have no club shop, we have no visible presence at the stadium apart from an old Giants emblem on the side of the stand and 2 ticket office windows, we cannot utilise the stadium in any way apart from playing home games there, the only income we get is from our matchday hospitality and club sponsorship.

And our team didn't 'cost' much at all, it is lots of home grown talent with hard working players who have been around other clubs that a top class coach is getting the best out of.

We have no superstars in our squad.

The club literally survives every year through Ken Davy's personal investment.

Edited by daz39
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Not really, HTFC have operational rights and technically sub-lease the stadium to us, we cannot sell our 20% shares, we cannot make any money from Sponsorship of the ground, we cannot negotiate or receive any income from catering, we have no club shop, we have no visible presence at the stadium apart from an old Giants emblem on the side of the stand and 2 ticket office windows, we cannot utilise the stadium in any way apart from playing home games there, the only income we get is from our matchday hospitality and club sponsorship.

And our team didn't 'cost' much at all, it is lots of home grown talent with hard working players who have been around other clubs that a top class coach is getting the best out of.

We have no superstars in our squad.

The club literally survives every year through Ken Davy's personal investment.

Well, that's a tougher situation than I thought. I wish you well, and hope a long term plan can be found. I think the Giants have added a lot to SL over the last decade or so, always enjoyed watching them on TV. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Well, that's a tougher situation than I thought. I wish you well, and hope a long term plan can be found. I think the Giants have added a lot to SL over the last decade or so, always enjoyed watching them on TV. 

Cheers, the stadium is a hinderance in my eyes and a lot of other fans too, we will never get anywhere near filling it which means we will always have to endure the 'no fans' jibes due to the visibility of empty seats, thie fans we do have are all spread out meaning it's virtually impossible to get any decent atmosphere (although there is already plans in place to change that and has been trialled already), potential new fans are then put off by the 'experience'.

Put our crowds in Wheldon road, AJ Bell, Craven park etc then there wouldn't be an issue but because we don't have a smaller ground the empty seats mean we 'offer nothing' to the game.

If we had our own smaller Claret & Gold place it would be heaven and would definitely help us as a club i think but unfortunately we are stuck with that massive blue and white place.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, daz39 said:

Cheers, the stadium is a hinderance in my eyes and a lot of other fans too, we will never get anywhere near filling it which means we will always have to endure the 'no fans' jibes due to the visibility of empty seats, thie fans we do have are all spread out meaning it's virtually impossible to get any decent atmosphere (although there is already plans in place to change that and has been trialled already), potential new fans are then put off by the 'experience'.

Put our crowds in Wheldon road, AJ Bell, Craven park etc then there wouldn't be an issue but because we don't have a smaller ground the empty seats mean we 'offer nothing' to the game.

If we had our own smaller Claret & Gold place it would be heaven and would definitely help us as a club i think but unfortunately we are stuck with that massive blue and white place.

As ever , you need an LSV type , size 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ragingbull said:

Id imagine you will out nimber the home fans.  

We see it year on year home fans dont seem to bother with play off games and attendances are usually lower than league games. 

It seems absolute crazy to me fans go week in week out hoping to see their teams make the play offs then when they get there the fans dont bother to turn up. 

Compare that with other sports around the world.  In the US ticket prices go through the roof for play off games (hundreds if dollars) yet still sell out.  

Both playoff this week at Penrith and Cronulla have already sold out. 

Football league play offf crowds are usually extremely healthy so its not even a British thing.  

I always find this really strange that fans will sit through all the games during the season but won't pay £16 for a ticket for the game (s) that actually matter.

It's just weird!

• Like 6

9 hours ago, daz39 said:

Not sure, last i knew both us and the football club paid rent based on average crowds over the year, i think it cost us something like £3 for every fan in the ground.

Ken stated it was around £7 per seat, that's what it costs to open the stadium.

It costs something like £25k a week just to maintain and despite it being seen by some as a new stadium, Ken also said it's a financial cesspit, it's already showing its age, remember it was built in 1994 and is already outdated and would need £10m just to upgrade it.

Oh how I wish we had our own little place where our no fans could gather that was just ours!

Edited by meast

Last year's semi finals attracted 11.5k at both Catalans and Saints. Wigan v Leeds in the earlier knock out only got 7.5k.

In 2019, Wigan had 2 home games in the playoffs and attracted just below 10k both times.

As an aside - does anyone know why we moved from a top 5 to a top 6 this year?

41 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Last year's semi finals attracted 11.5k at both Catalans and Saints. Wigan v Leeds in the earlier knock out only got 7.5k.

In 2019, Wigan had 2 home games in the playoffs and attracted just below 10k both times.

It has been a 6 in the last two years hasn't it? Last time we had a 5 was 2019.

I don't think there is much wrong with the system but the apathy we have at the top teams when the expectation is that the home team will win is a real problem.

• Like 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

12 hours ago, Chris22 said:

This isn't going to look good on Friday!

Ive been saying for a while now Wigan need to only open 2 / 3 sides of their ground depending on the game. The satadium Is too big for them and looks awful on tv with half the ground usually empty. 

Even with 19k for the saints game the still could have afforded to close one of the stands behind the posts. 

Edited by Ragingbull
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

I don't think there is much wrong with the system but the apathy we have at the top teams when the expectation is that the home team will win is a real problem.

Yes,  you're right,  I was looking at 2019 at the time! 

I think the 6 works well as it avoids repeat fixtures. 

21 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

7 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Not sure whether poor attendances, this year anyway, are due to apathy or economics. In the present situation I'd imagine that Wigan (and probably Saints supporters as well) are looking ahead to a possible Grand Final and are having to cut back on earlier rounds.

We know that season ticket holders don't like to pay cash for tickets when they have used their season ticket all year.  Its not a new phenomenon,  we just ignore it and then appear surprised when clubs return their lowest attendance of the year for the biggest games. 

There isn't really an interesting debate to be had about it,  we have years of evidence of fan behaviour,  they simply watch it on TV instead of paying for a ticket. We either do something about it or it happens year in year out and we act surprised. 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Because everybody wanted the entertainers, Salford, in the play-off's.😉

9 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

So Leeds allocation is 4800 and they've sold 4200 already👏.... more away fans than home at the DW?

I assume final Salford numbers at Saints will be in & around 4000 as there were 3000 sold by yesterday afternoon. I think I read somewhere that the away end holds 3800 so there's the possibility of having to give us a few in one of the seated stands.

• Like 2