Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)

16 minutes ago, Eddie said:

The excuse that people don’t like to pay on top of their season tickets or don’t want to pay in case they go to Old Trafford the week after doesn’t walk with me. It’s not like play off semi finals in football aren’t packed out for those reasons. Maybe the play off format just don’t work in RL, ie they don’t interest enough people. 

It doesn't matter whether it washes with you,  it is a fact -  the crowds are low.  It's not an opinion piece. Demand is lower for all pay games in UK sports, the likes of football can still often fill grounds though such is their demand. 

If this was a regular season pass game tonight,  you'd have 10 or 11k Wigan fans and the 4k Leeds fans.  We'd have a 15k crowd and it'd be all about the Rugby. 

Playoffs attract high numbers of away fans and high viewing figures. People are intereated in them. 

Edited by Dave T
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It doesn't matter whether it washes with you,  it is a fact -  the crowds are low.  It's not an opinion piece. Demand is lower for all pay games in UK sports, the likes of football can still often fill grounds though such is their demand. 

If this was a regular season pass game tonight,  you'd have 10 or 11k Wigan fans and the 4k Leeds fans.  We'd have a 15k crowd and it'd be all about the Rugby. 

Playoffs attract high numbers of away fans and high viewing figures. People are intereated in them. 

I know crowds are low boss, what I’m saying is that it isn’t because people don’t want to pay for an extra game on top of their ST - the football play offs demonstrate that isn’t the case.  Therefore home fans don’t want to go for a different reason, which could be because they’re not that interested - what else could it be? 

Just now, Eddie said:

I know crowds are low boss, what I’m saying is that it isn’t because people don’t want to pay for an extra game on top of their ST - the football play offs demonstrate that isn’t the case.  Therefore home fans don’t want to go for a different reason, which could be because they’re not that interested - what else could it be? 

Your evidence is actually not evidence. Football fans are not the same as RL fans. Sure we can see some similar behaviours,  but the demographic,  mindset and behaviours are very different. 

Do you know some RU clubs charge £80 for a ticket for a standard league game?  

You ask what else could it be,  I've told you. If you want evidence,  look at the Challenge Cup crowds when we gave them on the season ticket versus when we didn't.  This year,  Wire played Wakey over two consecutive weekends.  One week got over 8k, the next 2.5k. The reason is crystal clear.  If the drop was 8k to 6.5k you may have a point about not being as attractive,  but two identical games over two weeks shouldn't have the difference it is. 

We don't need to over think it.  Our customers behave in a certain way.  We insist they behave differently for a small number of games a year and then act surprised when they don't buy it. 

FWIW,  the crowd does look decent,  it looks like the Wigan fans have responded well in the latter half of the week. 

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Your evidence is actually not evidence. Football fans are not the same as RL fans. Sure we can see some similar behaviours,  but the demographic,  mindset and behaviours are very different. 

Do you know some RU clubs charge £80 for a ticket for a standard league game?  

You ask what else could it be,  I've told you. If you want evidence,  look at the Challenge Cup crowds when we gave them on the season ticket versus when we didn't.  This year,  Wire played Wakey over two consecutive weekends.  One week got over 8k, the next 2.5k. The reason is crystal clear.  If the drop was 8k to 6.5k you may have a point about not being as attractive,  but two identical games over two weeks shouldn't have the difference it is. 

We don't need to over think it.  Our customers behave in a certain way.  We insist they behave differently for a small number of games a year and then act surprised when they don't buy it. 

FWIW,  the crowd does look decent,  it looks like the Wigan fans have responded well in the latter half of the week. 

Yeah agreed, the crowd is a lot bigger than was predicted, it sounds good. 

However the demographic at many football clubs is similar to rugby league - and as I said, their attendances go up not down when they reach the play offs.  I don’t think it’s surprising, the reason being that football play offs are clearly more attractive to paying spectators than the SL play offs. Not sure what can be done about that mind you. 

9 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Yeah agreed, the crowd is a lot bigger than was predicted, it sounds good. 

However the demographic at many football clubs is similar to rugby league - and as I said, their attendances go up not down when they reach the play offs.  I don’t think it’s surprising, the reason being that football play offs are clearly more attractive to paying spectators than the SL play offs. Not sure what can be done about that mind you. 

I'm not convinced clubs  like Sheffield Utd,  Nottingham Forest  etc. Fan bases  are comparable to even the strongest RL clubs fan bases. 

51 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'm not convinced clubs  like Sheffield Utd,  Nottingham Forest  etc. Fan bases  are comparable to even the strongest RL clubs fan bases. 

They’re not who I was thinking of. More Blackpool, Preston, Accrington Stanley, Halifax Town and clubs in those sort of places, Hartlepool too. But anyway it’s all speculation isn’t it! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Eddie said:

They’re not who I was thinking of. More Blackpool, Preston, Accrington Stanley, Halifax Town and clubs in those sort of places, Hartlepool too. But anyway it’s all speculation isn’t it! 

There’s a potential here to be going in to the pro’s and con’s of having a play off system to decide the champions, here…

(Also worth pointing out that football can deliver however many tens of thousands for play off finals without relying on neutrals)

As well as the numbers, I think the demeanour of the home and away crowds is always fascinating in these games and must have some bearing on the teams' performance. Home crowds tend to be expectant and can become a bit moany; away crowds partisan and noisy.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

28 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

As well as the numbers, I think the demeanour of the home and away crowds is always fascinating in these games and must have some bearing on the teams' performance. Home crowds tend to be expectant and can become a bit moany; away crowds partisan and noisy.

The Salford fans certainly are! 

Do we have numbers for all 4 playoff games? 

Tbh,  after watching all four of them,  I though they came across pretty well.  The presence of noisy away fans in all four games added to the atmosphere on TV,  and I assume in the grounds too. 

I'm not sure why some people like to make out away fans aren't important. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Tbh,  after watching all four of them,  I though they came across pretty well.  The presence of noisy away fans in all four games added to the atmosphere on TV,  and I assume in the grounds too. 

12,357 for Saints.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I don't think anyone says that away fans aren't important.

That is often the strawman posited by those who think games without thousands of away fans spell financial ruin.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I don't think anyone says that away fans aren't important.

That is often the strawman posited by those who think games without thousands of away fans spell financial ruin.

It is regularly posted and then people quote things like games against London and French clubs where clubs have given tickets away. 

And then when challenged people claim it was never said and its a strawman.  😉

Edited by Dave T

31 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It is regularly posted and then people quote things like games against London and French clubs where clubs have given tickets away. 

And then when challenged people claim it was never said and its a strawman.  😉

You’re just in a wanting to watch the world burn mood, aren’t you?

• Haha 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)