Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)

8 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

A 10k average decrease in 11 years isn't a laughing matter sadly. Its a worrying trend.

Totally agree , How anyone can defend that it’s ok because of (add excuse) is beyond me . Look at other sports . This is our flagship game like all attendance they are clearly down . We used to take 20 or so of us from Notts on the train up religiously every year , I can tell you none of us are bothered any more .

Same teams .

seen them teams play god knows how many times already.

No build up.

No pre match spectacle that’s decent . 

just a lack of product desire created .

No household names / Stars 

The rimmer era of 2 for one and coupon RL ( Never cheapen your brand ) has decimated the casual observers . It took a while to get this ill it will take a while to get well buy recovery starts with an honest admission of the problems, not saying oh it’s not great but . The leadership of the game in the uk for the last 10 years have been a disgrace.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

My idea, to get more people to the final(I do realise it would damaged the pitch and Man U would probably say no... but)

Maybe the  Championship Final, Women's Super League  (in that order) should be played at Old Trafford as a curtain raisers for the Grand Final. Also, all amateur kids club should receive discounted group tickets (which I'm sure they already do to some degree)

And Finally, play the Grand Final on the same day as the NRL final... and make it a festival type atmosphere with beer gardens, meet former players, live NRL GF action on the Big screen and  while 2 extra games (Women's GF and the Million Pound Game) are being played inside the staduim. Almost a Magic Weekend feel about it.

We can market/name it as the Super league's "The Grand Day Out"

No disrespect but I can’t see the Lady’s final adding 15k . The social groups I used to go with are very happy for the growth in that sector of the game but Aint gonna go out of there way to watch it . Get me a decent band singing and Ivan cleary or Latrel Mitchell playing and we would be up in droves . 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ragingbull said:

90% chance?? That figure has been plucked out of thin air. What absolute nonsense.

Haha ok, you certainly seem to be raging.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

8 hours ago, northamptoncougar said:

A failure to sell out OT is a failure of the RFL / Superleague imo.

We shouldn’t be relying on the two finalists to sell it out, it should be an “experience” neutrals / newbies want to attend. 

What is a crying shame is it could be so much more, a DJ as pre match entertainment is pathetic / Jerusalem is standard, do something pre match, do something at half time for gods sake.

It’s not rocket science. 

Has it ever properly sold out?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

24 minutes ago, RL Tragic said:

Totally agree , How anyone can defend that it’s ok because of (add excuse) is beyond me . Look at other sports . This is our flagship game like all attendance they are clearly down . We used to take 20 or so of us from Notts on the train up religiously every year , I can tell you none of us are bothered any more .

Same teams .

seen them teams play god knows how many times already.

No build up.

No pre match spectacle that’s decent . 

just a lack of product desire created .

No household names / Stars 

The rimmer era of 2 for one and coupon RL ( Never cheapen your brand ) has decimated the casual observers . It took a while to get this ill it will take a while to get well buy recovery starts with an honest admission of the problems, not saying oh it’s not great but . The leadership of the game in the uk for the last 10 years have been a disgrace.

Whilst I didn’t disagree with most of that, can we shift the narrative about the same teams please? Last few GFs have had .

2017 - Leeds vs Castleford

2018 - Wigan vs Warrington

2019 - Saints vs Salford

2020 - Saints vs Wigan

2021 - Saints vs Catalan

2022 - Saints vs Leeds

That’s 7 different sides in 6yrs - Saints only really the constant. Yep, only 3 of those sides have won the title but it’s not true it’s always the and sides in the final. 

• Like 2

Just now, GeordieSaint said:

Whilst I didn’t disagree with most of that, can we shift the narrative about the same teams please? Last few GFs have had .

2019 - Saints vs Salford

2020 - Saints vs Wigan

2021 - Saints vs Catalan

2022 - Saints vs Leeds

That’s 7 different sides in 6yrs - Saints only really the constant. Yep, only 3 of those sides have won the title but it’s not true it’s always the and sides in the final. 

Three things that won't increase the Grand Final attendance:

• New teams in the final
  • Reducing loop fixtures in the season
  • Adding more games to the day

Lowering ticket prices almost certainly won't either.

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

14 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

2019 - Saints vs Salford

2020 - Saints vs Wigan

2021 - Saints vs Catalan

2022 - Saints vs Leeds

I seem to remember people being worried about Salford and Catalans not bringing many fans. If other people don't want the same old big teams (Saints, Wigan and Leeds) then are we pinning our hopes on a Wire Cas final? Unlikely based on this year!

More seriously what two teams do people think would increase the attendance? I can only think of Hull v Warrington. Did that get a good crowd in the Challenge Cup a few years back?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

2019 - Saints vs Salford

2020 - Saints vs Wigan

2021 - Saints vs Catalan

2022 - Saints vs Leeds

Actually with the facts put in front of me you are correct. I think for most it just feels a bit that way . 

11 minutes ago, RL Tragic said:

Actually with the facts put in front of me you are correct. I think for most it just feels a bit that way . 

But still only 4 winners , if CAS,Salford and Les Cats had won those games then it would be different , but they didn't , we need a new winner 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

I seem to remember people being worried about Salford and Catalans not bringing many fans. If other people don't want the same old big teams (Saints, Wigan and Leeds) then are we pinning our hopes on a Wire Cas final? Unlikely based on this year!

More seriously what two teams do people think would increase the attendance? I can only think of Hull v Warrington. Did that get a good crowd in the Challenge Cup a few years back?

If the main concern is the attendance , then we need the same big 3/4 teams in the final , if the main concern is long term growth of the game we need new winners 

With the World Cup final in the very near future at the same venue. I’m wondering if that having any bearing. 2013 saw a 4K drop off from 2012

Work to be done for sure, but if we sell out the World Cup final that’ll more than compensate 2013 got 74k without England playing

59 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

2019 - Saints vs Salford

2020 - Saints vs Wigan

2021 - Saints vs Catalan

2022 - Saints vs Leeds

Narrative is a big thing I suppose. Even 2019, with relatively fresh teams, managed only a couple of thousand more than last night.

I agree with pointing out the "same teams" flaw, but, ultimately, if people aren't going then for whatever reason that is a major problem. I personally think its a bigger issue than "same teams".

13 minutes ago, Spidey said:

With the World Cup final in the very near future at the same venue. I’m wondering if that having any bearing. 2013 saw a 4K drop off from 2012

Work to be done for sure, but if we sell out the World Cup final that’ll more than compensate 2013 got 74k without England playing

True, but even a 4k increase yesterdag would still see us in the "fine" range according to @Dave T's quite good scale from earlier this week.

And its not like there isn't concerns about the world cup either.

4 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Narrative is a big thing I suppose. Even 2019, with relatively fresh teams, managed only a couple of thousand more than last night.

I agree with pointing out the "same teams" flaw, but, ultimately, if people aren't going then for whatever reason that is a major problem. I personally think its a bigger issue than "same teams".

You went.

Did it feel like a big event? The kind that you'd go to next year even if Leeds aren't there?

13 minutes ago, Spidey said:

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I get bombarded from companies who offer corporate days , Cricket , RU, football even basketball and hockey and athletics . Never seen anything that includes RL . I’m sure the products there it’s just not being disseminated well . Is there a ticket bonus for amateur clubs ie a pound to the club for each ticket sold . 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

You went.

Did it feel like a big event? The kind that you'd go to next year even if Leeds aren't there?

No, tbh. 

As I said last night it was all very basic, generic even, from the RFL controlled side. Nothing particularly wrong per se, but nothing exceptional either. Even the fireworks and flames were all stuff Leeds do for games at Headingley. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RL Tragic said:

I get bombarded from companies who offer corporate days , Cricket , RU, football even basketball and hockey and athletics . Never seen anything that includes RL . I’m sure the products there it’s just not being disseminated well . Is there a ticket bonus for amateur clubs ie a pound to the club for each ticket sold . 

Not sure, though it is something that has been used in the past I believe.

The upper tiers of the ends at the GF were more community focused as I understand.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, northamptoncougar said:

What is a crying shame is it could be so much more, a DJ as pre match entertainment is pathetic / Jerusalem is standard, do something pre match, do something at half time for gods sake.

It’s not rocket science. 

Huh ?

Edited by The Rocket

7 minutes ago, RL Tragic said:

If you have bought tickets for CC finals, England matches etc etc over the past 12 months you will have had loads of emails about the corporate options for the WC.

Take it you have not logged on to buy WC tickets as there is a whole section on corporate options. 

1 hour ago, RL Tragic said:

No disrespect but I can’t see the Lady’s final adding 15k . The social groups I used to go with are very happy for the growth in that sector of the game but Aint gonna go out of there way to watch it . Get me a decent band singing and Ivan cleary or Latrel Mitchell playing and we would be up in droves . 

Maybe not, but if your club is in the Women's final and not men's you'd still have a hard core base that would go and support the club.