Jump to content

Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)


Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, gingerjon said:

That's a lot of words to say you hate the idea of rugby league being popular.

But this is the exact kind of nonsense that is thrown around if you dare to have the temerity to challenge the 'expand at all costs' attitide of the more optimistic of our brethren (for that is what we are).  I (and I'm sure Steve is the same) would love to see RL played in a truly national & international competion, with wealthy owners throwing money in hand over fist to make Edinburgh, for arguments sake, successful. Unfortunately, as we've seen many times over, it is extremely difficult to achieve and investment in the heartlands, whilst not always successful, seems to work sometimes (Hull KR for example.

This attitude of 'I'm right and if you don't agree you hate Rugby League' is petty an does you no favours.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


4 hours ago, Phil W said:

For me to grow the profile of the game expansion has to happen. Now this is where I put my tin hat on.

If I was in the RFL I'd be speaking to Premiership Rugby clubs around would they be interested in having league teams. Rugby league and union under the same umbrella gives year round income. T

So the idea is died in the wool Rugby Union supporters will take to league?  Doubt that....

Your assuming that rugby fans will support both sides. Didn't work for Hetherington at Leeds.....

Stick RL sides with big union clubs and they will poach the best League lads.

It's like putting Sheep and Wolves inn the same paddock. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, gingerjon said:

To make it personal to you, he’s saying, as he always does, that there is no point offering any support to Anglian Vipers.

It's like a Mantra isn't it😉

Problem for you is you can't show league is successful outside south Lancashire and East and West Yorkshire despite the scores of attempts to make it do so since 1896. Even the Cumbrian coast is now struggling.

I'm all for allowing anyone to throw their own ££Millions at RL clubs anywhere they want to. Great novelty value. But the real business sense is for the game's income to be 100%  poured into keeping  alive the bit of the Rugby League business that does actually work.

Anyway maybe you can point to somewhere outside the Northern heartlands where RL does work?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, steve oates said:

So the idea is died in the wool Rugby Union supporters will take to league?  Doubt that....

Your assuming that rugby fans will support both sides. Didn't work for Hetherington at Leeds.....

Stick RL sides with big union clubs and they will poach the best League lads.

It's like putting Sheep and Wolves inn the same paddock. 

Well I'm an example of a union supporter taking to league. Had a season ticket at Gloucester for a few years would do a seven hour round trip for matches. Out of interest why wouldn't union supporters take to league? I now live in Newcastle and have a Thunder season ticket.

Get the Leeds point but union needs money and league needs money clubs like Gloucester and Worcester who have artificial pitches could make use of that further to provide income.

You could have let's say a Gloucester rugby season ticket for union and league. 

The player point, that's a risk but it could happen now anyway.

Like I said i'd be having conversations with the union clubs and sell the idea. I'd rather try things like this and have a conversation.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, steve oates said:

 

It's like putting Sheep and Wolves inn the same paddock. 

We'd even lose to them this season. 😧

  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, steve oates said:

It's like a Mantra isn't it😉

Problem for you is you can't show league is successful outside south Lancashire and East and West Yorkshire despite the scores of attempts to make it do so since 1896. Even the Cumbrian coast is now struggling.

I'm all for allowing anyone to throw their own ££Millions at RL clubs anywhere they want to. Great novelty value. But the real business sense is for the game's income to be 100%  poured into keeping  alive the bit of the Rugby League business that does actually work.

Anyway maybe you can point to somewhere outside the Northern heartlands where RL does work?

France

Australia

New Zealand 

Papua New Guinea

  • Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, steve oates said:

So the idea is died in the wool Rugby Union supporters will take to league?  Doubt that....

Your assuming that rugby fans will support both sides. Didn't work for Hetherington at Leeds.....

Stick RL sides with big union clubs and they will poach the best League lads.

It's like putting Sheep and Wolves inn the same paddock. 

Opposite at Broncos....we nicked Guy Armitage from Ealing and injury aside he is a SL player now

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Jughead said:

Beyond the first game, the whole London Broncos/Harlequins thing never really worked and it was really the start of the decline for Broncos. 

Botched delivery on the RL side, TBH

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It would only ever work if the two sports were equal partners and the owner/owners treated them as such. But there's almost nowhere where that could happen because the host club - union or league -  is so well established in the local market, that the addition just becomes a revenue provider.

The only places I could see it working are Newcastle, where the union club isn't that strong, or (gulp, dons hard hat) Sale/Salford.  

Everywhere else, even if fans are open minded and are looking for another summer/winter interest, the imbalance would be too big and someone would come off worst.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

France

Australia

New Zealand 

Papua New Guinea

France and NZ aren’t shining lights tbf, but I applaud your excellent pedantry there 👏 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Because it was the first ever all french derby and many people from across the southern belt of france and would have gone. Tanking your own product to then say "Ha! Told you it wouldnt work! " is what someone who worked as a double agent for the RFU would do,not someone who cared about the sport. 

If it was giants first ever game vs Leeds I wouldnt shove it thursday night.  When toulouse have 20 plus years in SL like Huddersfield and Wakey your disengenuous comparisons would be valid. But they havent so they arent. 

You don't know that "many people across the South of France would have gone", you're surmising and guessing again.

I am going by the actual figures, bit what people think or hoped would have happened.

The fact is that regardless of what day, night, venue, traffic, weather etc, there wasn't enough interest in the game to pull in even 10,000 people across the South of France.

When it comes down to fact, figures and history it shows that less than 9,000 people went to the first ever all French super league game, it won't say (but it was a Thursday night so we can assume thousands more would have attended had it not been a Thursday nights) will it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Botched idea across the board, tbh. 

I'm not saying it definitely would have worked - I think it could have but would have taken effort that wasn't there in the end -  but the way it was done pretty much guaranteed its failure from the off.

 

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

France and NZ aren’t shining lights tbf, but I applaud your excellent pedantry there 👏 

New Zealand won a World Cup which was a French idea in the first place!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

New Zealand won a World Cup which was a French idea in the first place!

True, but you’d be hard pressed to make a case that RL is thriving in either country. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Phil W said:

For me to grow the profile of the game expansion has to happen. Now this is where I put my tin hat on.

At Newcastle we share facilities with Newcastle Falcons and are under the banner of Newcastle Rugby. 

If I was in the RFL I'd be speaking to Premiership Rugby clubs around would they be interested in having league teams. Steve Lansdowne for example has loads of money and Bristol would be a great location. Rugby league and union under the same umbrella gives year round income. This could also work the other way, what's to stop the RFU approaching say St Helens and seeing if they want to get into union, again year round income generator.

 

I said before but if I had the coin I have League 1 team in the Scottish Borders and the Welsh Valleys.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, meast said:

You don't know that "many people across the South of France would have gone", you're surmising and guessing again.

I am going by the actual figures, bit what people think or hoped would have happened.

The fact is that regardless of what day, night, venue, traffic, weather etc, there wasn't enough interest in the game to pull in even 10,000 people across the South of France.

When it comes down to fact, figures and history it shows that less than 9,000 people went to the first ever all French super league game, it won't say (but it was a Thursday night so we can assume thousands more would have attended had it not been a Thursday nights) will it?

More people would have gone on a weekend than a thursday night, people who believe otherwise are not intellectually capable. 

I don´t think Giant fans after a decade of woeful crowds should be lecturing any other club tbh. The status quo of clubs like Huddersfield has clearly failedthe sport. The lesson is not to tank your own product.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Very decent crowd* at Salford tonight 

*relatively

That post started so well and then you seemed to lose all confidence 🤣

I must admit, the last few times I've watched Salford the ground has looked less of an issue. Not sure if they've just worked out how to spread them around better

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

That post started so well and then you seemed to lose all confidence 🤣

I must admit, the last few times I've watched Salford the ground has looked less of an issue. Not sure if they've just worked out how to spread them around better

Well you don't see that massive stand, and the stand opposite the camera whilst "tactically filled" is still pretty sparse.

Probably a mixture of spreading the crowd around better and a genuinely bigger crowd. Its a 12k capacity ground after all with 2 standing terraces.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Not that hard pressed really though

I have a lot of time for your comments Tommy, and would be interested to hear in what way you think RL Is thriving in France and NZ? I know there are pockets in both countries. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Eddie said:

I have a lot of time for your comments Tommy, and would be interested to hear in what way you think RL Is thriving in France and NZ? I know there are pockets in both countries. 

Thank you.

France is due to host a World Cup in the next 3 years which will be massive for RL in the country. To even be at that stage represents a massive amount of growth in the past 25 years. To now have 2 super league quality clubs is also massive.

NZ for its part has produced a player base and audience that is massive for the NRL. Because of the growth of RL within the Pacific diaspora within NZ, it is also the source of so much of the international game in the region too. 

Obviously the sport isn't as strong as it is in Australia in either, but the same could be said for the vast majority of the UK too!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...