Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)

28 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Well this brings us to an additional point that most RL clubs are struggling to attract youngsters full stop. And they are in direct competition not only with Dewsbury and Batley, but also Leeds and Wakefield. Saying they aren't is easy, but the fact remains they are.

Not to mention football. Leeds United and to a lesser extent Huddersfield Town are far larger draws than anything else, by a country mile. Along with other top flight football clubs like Manchester United. I genuinely don't think Australians can get their head around how much bigger than anything else football is in the UK. Compared to premier league football (Brisbane), Super League is Toowoomba Clydesdales - this is the levels we are talking.

Yeah - thanks for the reply.  I was specifically talking about rugby League fans - but as you say, the game in England seems to be really struggling to get young supporters involved. The profile on here (on average) seems to be fairly elderly. 

I'm not an Aussie incidentally, so am aware of the obsession that england has with football. 

Huddersfield Town draw a lot of support from around the wider Kirklees/West Yorkshire area, quite a lot I would say, I suspect the Heavy Woollen/Spen areas of West Yorkshire are split something like 50% Leeds Utd, 40% Huddersfield Town 10% Bradford City/Semi Professional teams, that's actual match going supporters rather than TV watching premier league fans.

As for the Giants, we draw a fair amount of our support from around the outlying valleys and villages, but the town isn't a big RL supporting population itself, a lot of amateur players don't follow Fartown, some don't even follow RL but just play the game and have no real attachment for the professional club in the town.

It's a strange way to explain to people who don't live in or come from Huddersfield, people think because of the population and size of the town that the Giants should be attracting 10,000+ plus, but historically, we never have attracted that big crowds.

Hopefully some of the work the club are doing on and off the field will help change things in the not too distant future, but for now, we have to accept that Huddersfield have a hardcore of around 4,000 fans.

Edited by meast
  • Like 4

Another problem is we are not the 'super league team for Kirklees', Kirklees is a made up name in which the areas included in it border Bradford, Leeds and Wakefield.

People in Dewsbury/Batley/Birstall/Cleckheaton/Mirfield etc are probably more likely to support Leeds or Wakefield than Huddersfield if they aren't committed to their local teams, Bradford, Dewsbury, Batley etc.

We pull very, very little support from the wider geographical area.

Unlike football and Huddersfield Town and Leeds United in particular who have no problems attracting these people as they are seen as THE team for all those areas.

Calling us Fartown will have no bearing at all as most people in the town who have an interest already know us as Fartown or Giants, Huddersfield is rarely used in identifying us.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

To a certain extent, though much of the surrounding places do feel like separate towns/villages. They do get support from a broad area immediately surrounding the town, but clearly not as much as HTAFC, and not as widespread.

Exactly my point above, Huddersfield isn't one big town but more a small town with lots of outlying populated valleys (Colne, Holme, Dearne), smaller towns (Holmfirth, Meltham, Slaithwaite, Marsden) as well as many rural villages as well as the suburbs.

Lots of these area's also border and creep into surrounding boroughs, Calderdale, Saddleworth, Wakefield etc.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, meast said:

Exactly my point above, Huddersfield isn't one big town but more a small town with lots of outlying populated valleys (Colne, Holme, Dearne), smaller towns (Holmfirth, Meltham, Slaithwaite, Marsden) as well as many rural villages as well as the suburbs.

Lots of these area's also border and creep into surrounding boroughs, Calderdale, Saddleworth, Wakefield etc.

That was my feeling when I was working there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, meast said:

Head scratching, what do the people want?

Mind you as most Huddersfield fans keep saying, it's a good job games are won by the players on the field rather than how many empty seats there are.

I think in reality, there isn't much more to be said for Hudds and their crowds. It is what it is, and if they can do well without large numbers of fans, then good luck to them. Sometimes there isn't clear logic as why some things work in one place and not in others. 

They just need to keep trying, and doing what they can. 

• Like 1

Saints official attendance for today’s game was announced as 10,144 which was a surprise because the crowd looked sparse. Id have said 8,500 at the most, but i am not crowd expert. The attendance was still up on last years match against Cas. 

On 01/08/2022 at 14:51, SalfordSlim said:

TBH 5% does seem really low.

If you look at say Wigan who average I guess 11k-12k (?) at home that would only equate to 550-600. You'd think that for any games outside Hull/HKR/Cats/TO they should be taking 1000 minimum.

I bet for the Lancs clubs Salford regularly take the best part of 1000 fans (*sits back and waits for howls of derision😂). Now if we're averaging only 3500 at home that's 35% of our fan base. If you halve that for say Leeds/Wakey/Cas and say 500 fans that's still a healthy 17.5%. FC & HKR you might be looking at 300-400 on a Sat/Sun but may struggle to get 200-250 on a Friday night.

Average away support at Huddersfield 2013-2021 (regular league games only)

Bradford- 873

Castleford- 1,171 

Hull FC - 1,167

Hull KR- 697

Leeds- 1,762

Leigh- 388

Salford- 542

St Helens - 1,132

Wakefield - 616

Warrington - 978

Widnes- 564

Wigan - 1,113

Percentage of away=home support in same period

Bradford - 11.81%

Castleford - 16.14%

Hull FC- 10.94%

Hull KR- 9.75%

Leeds- 12.72%

Leigh - 6.94%

Salford- 15.46%

St Helens- 10.19%

Wakefield- 11.97%

Warrington- 10.33%

Widnes - 10.62%

Wigan- 8.72%

Edited by meast
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, meast said:

Bradford- 873

Castleford- 1,171 

Hull FC - 1,167

Hull KR- 697

Leeds- 1,762

Leigh- 388

Salford- 542

St Helens - 1,132

Wakefield - 616

Warrington - 978

Widnes- 564

Wigan - 1,113

Bradford - 11.81%

Castleford - 16.14%

Hull FC- 10.94%

Hull KR- 9.75%

Leeds- 12.72%

Leigh - 6.94%

Salford- 15.46%

St Helens- 10.19%

Wakefield- 11.97%

Warrington- 10.33%

Widnes - 10.62%

Wigan- 8.72%

Salford, therefore take the biggest percentage of away fans to home support to Huddersfield 🙂 

You're just winding Cas fans up by ignoring them aren't you?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, meast said:

Bradford- 873

Castleford- 1,171 

Hull FC - 1,167

Hull KR- 697

Leeds- 1,762

Leigh- 388

Salford- 542

St Helens - 1,132

Wakefield - 616

Warrington - 978

Widnes- 564

Wigan - 1,113

Bradford - 11.81%

Castleford - 16.14%

Hull FC- 10.94%

Hull KR- 9.75%

Leeds- 12.72%

Leigh - 6.94%

Salford- 15.46%

St Helens- 10.19%

Wakefield- 11.97%

Warrington- 10.33%

Widnes - 10.62%

Wigan- 8.72%

Utter respect for the time you’ve taken to create this obscure statistic to make a point on an Internet forum 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, meast said:

Bradford- 873

Castleford- 1,171 

Hull FC - 1,167

Hull KR- 697

Leeds- 1,762

Leigh- 388

Salford- 542

St Helens - 1,132

Wakefield - 616

Warrington - 978

Widnes- 564

Wigan - 1,113

Bradford - 11.81%

Castleford - 16.14%

Hull FC- 10.94%

Hull KR- 9.75%

Leeds- 12.72%

Leigh - 6.94%

Salford- 15.46%

St Helens- 10.19%

Wakefield- 11.97%

Warrington- 10.33%

Widnes - 10.62%

Wigan- 8.72%

Not that im doubting you  but where is the evidence source for these figures.  

If i was a sceptic id say anyone could make up thise numbers.  

26 minutes ago, Ragingbull said:

I doubt anyone would spend the time making that up tbf. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ragingbull said:

They're based on the official crowd figures from the stadium management and the official average home attendance for the corresponding seasons.

Why would I want to make stuff like this up?

• Like 2

A massive 395 at Newcastle v London yesterday, and these are the type of clubs certain people believe should be in the upper tiers of any restructured league, big city clubs with shiny stadiums !!!!!

I'm sorry but if the sport hasn't caught on in these places after decades then it never will. We are flogging a dead horse !

Also worth mentioning that Newcastle are full-time !!!!!  How on earth can that be sustained on such tiny crowds ?

Edited by Bring back GB
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Bring back GB said:

A massive 395 at Newcastle v London yesterday, and these are the type of clubs certain people believe should be in the upper tiers of any restructured league, big city clubs with shiny stadiums !!!!!

I'm sorry but if the sport hasn't caught on in these places after decades then it never will. We are flogging a dead horse !

Also worth mentioning that Newcastle are full-time !!!!!  How on earth can that be sustained on such tiny crowds ?

I wonder if the transformation of NUFC into Saudi Arabia FC has had a detrimental effect on the Thunder. Disenchanted Toon Army brigaders giving RL a watch, now see NU/SAFC possibly conquering the world and have slunk back into the fold.

2 hours ago, Bring back GB said:

Yep, the way to expand the game is to dump the likes of Huddersfield, and Salford who have around 8,000 hardcore fans and are competitive from super league and replace them with big city clubs like Newcastle who can't even muster 400 fans from a huge catchment area and are struggling to compete in a part time league.

Apparently..

• Like 4