Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)

25 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

That's not how it works, chief. Tax is paid on income, not attendance figures.

Pretty much this. The only time anyone lies for a lower crowd these days is in matches when there's gate revenue sharing as HMRC don't care about that.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, Mr Frisky said:

So would 5000 people not pay more money than 3000 - chef?

I think he means that if 5000 tickets were sold (i.e. income) then they would have to pay tax on that income regardless of whether everyone showed up. That is why season tickets are often on club attendance figures even if they don't all show.

4 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I think he means that if 5000 tickets were sold (i.e. income) then they would have to pay tax on that income regardless of whether everyone showed up. That is why season tickets are often on club attendance figures even if they don't all show.

Indeed. Attendances are, in effect, sales figures.  

16 hours ago, jannerboyuk said:

Doesn’t Leeds have a bigger population then all those places combined? Not the be all and end all but it’s not totally illogical surely?

Using local population isn't really a useful barometer. 

Populations in cities are much more transient and there is more competition for their leisure dollar. Populations in smaller towns are much more 'connected' with that area and RL is often the only show in town. 

People move from all around the country to larger cities for study and work. Nobody willingly moves to Castleford. 

• Like 1

If there were 5000 for the Toulouse game then that Stadium has the capacity of Old Trafford !

I remember going to Toulouse over 10 years ago and they announced 2.5k. I could physically count the people in attendance that day. Runcorn Highfield got more !

3 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

That's not how it works, chief. Tax is paid on income, not attendance figures.

As sports clubs are businesses, I would have thought tax is based on profits not income.  Which makes the concept of trying to deceive HMRC (or the French equivalent) about how many were in the ground even more bizarre.

Anyway, I have never really understood how HMRC could ever derive the appropriate income from a match day based on the announced attendance as tickets are discounted and concessions applied for junior/OAP tickets... what are they doing, walking around checking how much everyone in attendance paid!

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Just now, Dunbar said:

As sports clubs are businesses, I would have thought tax is based on profits not income.  Which makes the concept of trying to deceive HMRC (or the French equivalent) about how many were in the ground even more bizarre.

Anyway, I have never really understood how HMRC could ever derive the appropriate income from a match day based on the announced attendance as tickets are discounted and concessions applied for junior/OAP tickets... what are they doing, walking around checking how much everyone in attendance paid!

VAT on ticket sales

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Yes, indeed. I was going to correct it but couldn't be bothered!  

There's a lot of naivety about attendances. They aren't a headcount but essentially the number of tickets sold/distributed.

In some cases, like this weekend's Toulouse game, even the sales figure can appear to stretch truth to breaking point. I recall Robert Elstone talking about making up crowd figures while at the RFL so if he was doing it, I'm sure others have too. 

10 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Yes, indeed. I was going to correct it but couldn't be bothered!  

There's a lot of naivety about attendances. They aren't a headcount but essentially the number of tickets sold/distributed.

In some cases, like this weekend's Toulouse game, even the sales figure can appear to stretch truth to breaking point. I recall Robert Elstone talking about making up crowd figures while at the RFL so if he was doing it, I'm sure others have too. 

If Toulouse had to cancel all its corporate hospitality offerings then it will have been a total mess in terms of ticket sales, revenues, cancellations, attendees, no shows etc. No bars or food inside ground, some fans who bought tickets may have said #### it. I know there were quite a few areas behind the posts with sales on the ticket sites and few actually there on the night.

Either way, it was a ###### hand to be dealt on your SL debut. Last year showed how they could create an event for big games so I am willing to give them a bit of time to get things right and cut them some slack.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Scubby said:

If Toulouse had to cancel all its corporate hospitality offerings then it will have been a total mess in terms of ticket sales, revenues, cancellations, attendees, no shows etc. No bars or food inside ground, some fans who bought tickets may have said #### it. I know there were quite a few areas behind the posts with sales on the ticket sites and few actually there on the night.

Either way, it was a ###### hand to be dealt on your SL debut. Last year showed how they could create an event for big games so I am willing to give them a bit of time to get things right and cut them some slack.

I don't disagree with any of that, and maybe that's why 5k was announced. 

• Like 1

Just now, fevtom said:

Anyone know what the Batley crowd was yesterday? It’s the only one i’ve not heard yet. Presumably it will be in the League Express but i’ve not had chance to get a copy today.

Hopefully it crept towards 1k. The way that club is travelling nowadays it deserves backing from the local supporter base.

• Like 1

All the crowds were more than I predicted. Apart from Worky v Fev. I thought that would have been a tad higher. Bad weather and the home teams start, I suppose.

17 hours ago, Josef K said:

That is great for Barrow RL, i hope they make a fortune from it. St Helens hasn’t had a nightclub for years, are they still as bad as ever. 

Great stuff. Next step for them is probably to get on Fiverr and get this sorted 😕 

logo.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fevtom said:

Anyone know what the Batley crowd was yesterday? It’s the only one i’ve not heard yet. Presumably it will be in the League Express but i’ve not had chance to get a copy today.

It states ‘attendance N/A (not given). Hope I’ve been some help!

Edited by johnh1
  • Thanks 1