Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)

7 hours ago, JonM said:

Funny to read Fev fans bemoaning the lack of away fans at POR. Maybe ask yourselves why people don't want to come?

The away fans are now housed in the stand at the railway end and the coaches park there as well which is a good from the club. Yesterday there were a few Fax fans at the P O Road end 2nd half and no sign of trouble but don't let the facts get in the way.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, HKR AWAY DAYS said:

Is Uber a thing in Manchester. It is, stupidly, banned in Hull. I've just booked one from the nearest place I could find. Hopefully get a pint in after the game in Salford's clubhouse. Cheers 👍

Hopefully to drown your sorrows! Cheers😀

6 hours ago, JonM said:

I've posted before - it's the only ground in RL where I wouldn't take my wife & kids. I know plenty of people who just won't go there. If intimidating and unpleasant is how Featherstone as a club want it to be, then fine, but don't then complain when away fans tend to give it a miss.

You make it out that Featherstone are the only club with SOME idiot fans, you can't go to many other grounds then.

18 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

You make it out that Featherstone are the only club with SOME idiot fans, you can't go to many other grounds then.

I aren't really fussed what he makes out if I'm honest. We had over 4,500 v leigh and 3,700 yesterday with only a handful of away support. I'm heartened by those numbers and "the buzz" we have at the mo.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

I aren't really fussed what he makes out if I'm honest. We had over 4,500 v leigh and 3,700 yesterday with only a handful of away support. I'm heartened by those numbers and "the buzz" we have at the mo.

I can't stand  folk having a one eyed view Robin,the club have taken steps to stop trouble which i  have stated on this thread. But like you say we are using our crowds and if away fans don't want to come that's their choice. Haven't seen or heard of any trouble yet thankfully.

Edited by Fevrover

SL attendances so far this year. Comparing 2022 with 2019, the last fully attended season.

Yr 1 2 3 4 5
2022 9696 8511 8899 7139  
2019 9456 8542 7072 7187 9037
% 3 0 26 -1  

Up so far. London was in SL that year so that didn't help the 2019 figure. 

• Like 3

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

15 minutes ago, fevtom said:

Anyone got the exact figures for any championship games from the weekend?

I just been having a look around but from NZ some of the numbers are a bit small. 😎

Fev 3728, Leigh 3009 and London 903.

• Thanks 1

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

1 hour ago, fevtom said:

Anyone got the exact figures for any championship games from the weekend?

From League Express;

Bradford v Batley.    3789

Fev v Fax.      3728

Leigh v Newcastle.   3009

London v York.    903

Whitehaven v Dewsbury.  764

Workington v Sheffield.     Not Given

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, HKR AWAY DAYS said:

Is Uber a thing in Manchester. It is, stupidly, banned in Hull. I've just booked one from the nearest place I could find. Hopefully get a pint in after the game in Salford's clubhouse. Cheers 👍

How much is a pint there ?

1 hour ago, johnh1 said:

From League Express;

Bradford v Batley.    3789

Fev v Fax.      3728

Leigh v Newcastle.   3009

London v York.    903

Whitehaven v Dewsbury.  764

Workington v Sheffield.     Not Given

I think there are some v good gates in that list. I wonder why though some clubs don’t mention the official attendance. Id guess the Town official’s were that angry at FT they didn’t want to speak to anyone about anything. 

49 minutes ago, meast said:

Unfortunately there's nothing we can do about that, but yes it would help, failing that, at least half filling it would be a huge ask as it is for most RL clubs.

You have the passionate fans but the stadium is too large, what crowds to the Football team get ?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, meast said:

Unfortunately there's nothing we can do about that, but yes it would help, failing that, at least half filling it would be a huge ask as it is for most RL clubs.

And football clubs outside the Premier League. 

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

And football clubs outside the Premier League. 

Really? Clubs outside Premier League that get at least 80% capacity each home game;

Fulham,  Nottingham Forest,  WBA, Cardiff, QPR, Sunderland,  Derby, Sheffield United,  even Luton and Blackpool. 

We can't keep blaming bad weather,  cr#p food or poor alcoholic beverages for disappointing attendances. Do you think  Premier league grounds sell out because Heston Blumenthal is doing the catering or everyone gets a free miniature bottle of Dom Perignon 🤔 

7 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Really? Clubs outside Premier League that get at least 80% capacity each home game;

Fulham,  Nottingham Forest,  WBA, Cardiff, QPR, Sunderland,  Derby, Sheffield United,  even Luton and Blackpool. 

We can't keep blaming bad weather,  cr#p food or poor alcoholic beverages for disappointing attendances. Do you think  Premier league grounds sell out because Heston Blumenthal is doing the catering or everyone gets a free miniature bottle of Dom Perignon 🤔 

No they sell out because football is a global behemoth which is enormously well marketed and publicised. 

Nice cherry picking of teams there though btw (though Sunderland’s 30k average isn’t 80% of their 48k capacity, and I can’t be bothered to check the others). How about the other 60+ league teams? 

14 minutes ago, Eddie said:

No they sell out because football is a global behemoth which is enormously well marketed and publicised. 

You're right about the marketing,  but are you saying that people go because they're being fed a false narrative by marketing and have had their expectations of what is " entertainment " warped.

Watching the Manchester derby I saw fans going berserk, singing cheering,  living the moment,  it's amazing what a bit of marketing does?!

22 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I think most people go to football because they like football. I know some find that hard to believe. Just like they struggle to understand that Twickenham would still be sold out for England RU even if you took away all the corporate sales and offered those seats to the public at regular international prices.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

12 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I think most people go to football because they like football. I know some find that hard to believe. Just like they struggle to understand that Twickenham would still be sold out for England RU even if you took away all the corporate sales and offered those seats to the public at regular international prices.

I broadly agree, however I would say a lot of people who go to some events like 6N go because they like those events rather than Rugby Union necessarily. Living in Edinburgh for so long many of my friends loved the 6N events, but couldn't tell you anything about Rugby Union. 

That isn't a criticism of them, getting people to events is aassove success, but for me it shows that these haven't been attracted by things like shot clocks or 40/20's.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

You're right about the marketing,  but are you saying that people go because they're being fed a false narrative by marketing and have had their expectations of what is " entertainment " warped.

Watching the Manchester derby I saw fans going berserk, singing cheering,  living the moment,  it's amazing what a bit of marketing does?!

I do think some of the obsession with football is to do with marketing yes. Don’t get me wrong I’m a fan (had a Season ticket at a league club for 20 years) but the majority of games are actually quite dull, yet Sky particularly know how to talk them up into an event. Rugby league doesn’t have that. 

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I broadly agree, however I would say a lot of people who go to some events like 6N go because they like those events rather than Rugby Union necessarily. Living in Edinburgh for so long many of my friends loved the 6N events, but couldn't tell you anything about Rugby Union. 

That isn't a criticism of them, getting people to events is aassove success, but for me it shows that these haven't been attracted by things like shot clocks or 40/20's.

There’s probably something in that but it’s a good starting point to recognise that most people haven’t been conned in to being there.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

22 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

The point about new stadiums being able to increase corporate support isn't always valid , smallish plans don't always have the big businesses to fill them , especially with the usual increased prices , 

yes, I can see your specific point. I guess my general point was the ability to invest to help growth by improving facilities. That could be to bring a higher level of facility or to maintain existing as people expect better than say previous decades.   

I used corporate as a specific example.  Your right the growth of that revenue area may not be as readily an opportunity as a place with larger business.   Never-the-less even at smaller business or hospitality used for fan celebrations or a venue for non fans to use  is some degree of opportunity. Of course the market may not be sustainable for such as you say. Although I know that Leeds for example encourage and take some corporate/hospitality fans to away games venue and hence use such.   All be it a smaller number of people I can tell you that for certain clubs venue their is a reasonable number of people for others with poor facilities almost zero who will pay for such.  Plus Leeds have many fans from the away teams using their corporate facilities,

So yes your right but my observations (no facts as such) would suggest their is more opportunity than we may think. Although I would bow to a clubs marketing people whom would or should know if potential or not.

I suspect you are correct for some clubs the opportunity may be limited.