Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)

3 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Not sure what the AFL has todo with it, we may as well compair, SL, NRL and AFL to the English Premier League football attendances- pointless comparing different sports.

It has nothing to do with anything. It’s just a typical trolling shoehorn from an occasional “contributor”. Though, that said, some UK AFL games attract crowds that almost reach 2 figures, so we can be pretty pleased with how we’re going on that basis.

Edited by Exiled Wiganer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

8.1k at Wire. 

Lowest of the year despite heavily discounted tickets. 

A lacklustre event, my daughter disappointed as Wolfie nowhere to be seen. Maybe he thought it was a 3pm kick off. Either way, seems odd when the focus of today was family tickets. 

That said, I personally enjoyed sitting out in the sun having a couple of beers with family and friend. 

I expect 4kish in the cup next week. 

Id imagine Wire will be a bit disappointed with the gate, but when you have a very rich fella on the board at least you know he’ll cover the loses the club make. 

5 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

take a break EW, you don’t have to be one all the time.

https://www.austadiums.com/sport/australian-football/results

As you are so obsessed, there’s a link to show you the AFL crowds this year. Swans pulling bigger crowd than any Sydney NRL game this year is a concern. Except that it’s the norm. Their 25k is the Sydney benchmark so far and not a very high one. How long do you think until an NRL game in Sydney draws more?

Back to RL, it was great to see the Sharks back playing at home. Good turnout considering the restrictions due to the development. The atmosphere more resembled some of the great SL matches I’ve attended. Prime Minister was there in support of the win as well. Good to see.

Mate I don’t like speaking for others but I can safely say that no one on here apart from you has the slightest interest in fumbleball’s attendances.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Mate I don’t like speaking for others but I can safely say that no one on here apart from you has the slightest interest in fumbleball’s attendances.

Except it's a reply to someone who did raise them?

Anyway, Geelong beat Essendon good and proper to all is well.

And I have no idea what the crowd was.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

8.1k at Wire. 

Lowest of the year despite heavily discounted tickets. 

A lacklustre event, my daughter disappointed as Wolfie nowhere to be seen. Maybe he thought it was a 3pm kick off. Either way, seems odd when the focus of today was family tickets. 

That said, I personally enjoyed sitting out in the sun having a couple of beers with family and friend. 

I expect 4kish in the cup next week. 

You know while the stands looked half empty on tv there was still a fair amount of noise and obviously lots of points scored, it was no damp squib. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JM2010 said:

Toulouse's crowds seem to be holding up above 5K. Hopefully they'll get a few bigger crowds as their performances keep improving

I think you’ll also see bigger away followings in the summer months. I know plenty of Saints fans who are going in June and chose that over todays game. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jughead said:

I think you’ll also see bigger away followings in the summer months. I know plenty of Saints fans who are going in June and chose that over todays game. 

So much potential with Toulouse. If they can stay in SL this year and continue to build I think they can become a bigger club than Catalans

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Toulouse's crowds seem to be holding up above 5K. Hopefully they'll get a few bigger crowds as their performances keep improving

Catalans averaged 6000 for their first Super League season. With considerably more away fans than Toulouse have had so far. Toulouse’s crowds will grow in time just as they have at Catalan.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Eddie said:

You know while the stands looked half empty on tv there was still a fair amount of noise and obviously lots of points scored, it was no damp squib. 

No, the stadium does OK with that number in tbh, and during the few nice things we did it was a noisy atmosphere. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jughead said:

5,568 at Toulouse. 

I`d be ecstatic about those crowds in the mid 5000-s, for a new team with few wins that is an fantastic base to build on. 

5 and a half thousand is a lot more people to spread the word than say they were getting 2500, i.e. a lot more people to spread the word about this new show in town.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, JM2010 said:

So much potential with Toulouse. If they can stay in SL this year and continue to build I think they can become a bigger club than Catalans

That’s why im not disappointed Saints lost yesterday, id love them to stay up. 

13 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

take a break EW, you don’t have to be one all the time.

https://www.austadiums.com/sport/australian-football/results

As you are so obsessed, there’s a link to show you the AFL crowds this year. Swans pulling bigger crowd than any Sydney NRL game this year is a concern. Except that it’s the norm. Their 25k is the Sydney benchmark so far and not a very high one. How long do you think until an NRL game in Sydney draws more?

Back to RL, it was great to see the Sharks back playing at home. Good turnout considering the restrictions due to the development. The atmosphere more resembled some of the great SL matches I’ve attended. Prime Minister was there in support of the win as well. Good to see.

Every Swans fan goes to the game. They rate on TV like a busted bum. 

Edited by RL Sonja
  • Like 1

"There has never been a Challenge Cup semifinal of 65,000 either individually or combined" - Damien

If you want to gauge interest in the Australian codes, you can't look at attendance alone. That is clearly only part of the picture. 

If you add in NRLW and AFLW, rugby league is dominating Fox and Kayo this year.

The AFL have a real problem with the poor quality of their AFLW competition.

As a result, rugby league will dominate AFL in TV ratings across this year. Especially once the representative season (including the World Cups) is factored in. 

Edited by RL Sonja
  • Like 1

"There has never been a Challenge Cup semifinal of 65,000 either individually or combined" - Damien

53 minutes ago, RL Sonja said:

If you want to gauge interest in the Australian codes, you can't look at attendance alone. That is clearly only part of the picture. 

If you add in NRLW and AFLW, rugby league is dominating Fox and Kayo this year.

The AFL have a real problem with the poor quality of their AFLW competition.

As a result, rugby league will dominate AFL in TV ratings across this year. Especially once the representative season (including the World Cups) is factored in. 

Totally agree . 

Nrlw is far better then aflw. 

Aflw is really hard to watch , quality is very poor. 

In Melbourne afl has gone hard at marketing the first few rounds to build momentum for the year , in terms of crowds. 

On my way to the storm v bunnies game the other night , I walked past mcg , and they had DJ's pumping loud music , all kinds of food stalls , the smell was intoxicating , there was a buzz around the ground from the AFL fans. 

But ...

NRL v afl crowds are not the entire picture, of who is the more appealing code. Tv ratings play a crucial role. 

Obviously i think rugby league is the best sport on earth . 

Afl is boring. 

I'm Melbourne born and raised. 

There are other melburnians who share my opinion  

Edited by Deranged Drunk Guy
  • Like 3

Attendances haven't mattered more than television since about the mid-1990s. Unbelievable how slow people are on the uptake about this. 

Even if you get 50,000 at an AFL game and 15,000 at a rugby league game, the ultimate thing that pays for each sport is the television audience. The gates are fluff in comparison. 

Once the advantage of representative football is added in, there is no way AFL can top NRL over the entire course of 2022. There are 2 NRLW comps for instance this year. AFL will be beaten comprehensively this year. 

• Like 1