Jump to content

Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

3135 at Barrow today. That is 50% higher than Barrow's average crowd

2627 at Warrington. That is 30% of Warrington's average crowd. 

Are we missing a trick here somewhere?

Barrow are doing well- Barrow fans and people in Barrow turn out to support their side.

Warrington aren't doing well- Warrington fans and people of Warrington don't want to know if they're not winning.??

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Toulouse are encouraging their fans to get the the game in Perpignan. 25€ for transport and ticket seems exceptional value if I'm reading it correctly. 

 

to.jpg

  • Like 3

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

3135 at Barrow today. That is 50% higher than Barrow's average crowd

2627 at Warrington. That is 30% of Warrington's average crowd. 

Are we missing a trick here somewhere?

Its a bigger deal for Barrow fans?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, meast said:

No chip on my shoulder pal.

 But is it not true that Huddersfield would get slaughtered for attracting a crowd as low as that?

Are Warrington not being called awful for that crowd?

If anything the people who I suspect you imagine would do the "slaughtering" probably assume that is the regular crowd at Huddersfield anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, RayCee said:

Toulouse are encouraging their fans to get the the game in Perpignan. 25€ for transport and ticket seems exceptional value if I'm reading it correctly. 

 

to.jpg

Oui, travel and tickets pour vignt-cinq euro. 

Very very good deal imo

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jughead said:

2,627 is frankly disgraceful for a club like Warrington. I’d be surprised if they had many crowds lower than that at the HJ. 

Easy to use words like disgraceful from behind your laptop screen in Stevenage but what would you do to improve things that Wire (a progressive club) haven’t thought of? 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, meast said:

Barrow are doing well- Barrow fans and people in Barrow turn out to support their side.

Warrington aren't doing well- Warrington fans and people of Warrington don't want to know if they're not winning.??

Hudds only brought around 130 /160 tops today, So not many away fans screwing the Att artificially higher.

 

fair play to those that traveled 👏👏

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Brisbane a little short of the 40K at 37,761.

Must say it looked bigger on the TV. Could Broncos be doing a Wigan from the 1980s and pocketing a little on the side? 🤪

"There has never been a Challenge Cup semifinal of 65,000 either individually or combined" - Damien

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jughead said:

The idea of a manufactured draw of the twelve Super League teams being drawn away at lower ranked sides is a bit short-sighted. It doesn’t address the issues faced beyond that round when Super League clubs are then drawn at home and poor crowds persist. You’d still need some form of incentive or initiative to get people through the turnstiles for the next couple of rounds. 

 

Every SL gets an away tie so the Lower league clubs can gain all the media attention & sell the game to their community & the SL clubs fans enjoy an interesting new ground but less salubrious surroundings & hopefully take several hundred fans with them to help the home clubs coffers win/win 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, RL Sonja said:

Brisbane a little short of the 40K at 37,761.

Must say it looked bigger on the TV. Could Broncos be doing a Wigan from the 1980s and pocketing a little on the side? 🤪

TV pictures wont give you sight of entire stadium. Top deck at one end closed. Lots of space in second tier and ground level (called the 300 level for some reason - they must have underground bunkers!) far from overflowing.

I was a bit surprised it was a high as announced.  That attendance wont last if they continue to play background music throughout the game as they did yesterday - even when kickers were taking attempt at goal.  I watched the NRLW game followed by the NRL game - thats 4 hours of the constant background music (if you can call it that).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, mickmike wilson said:

Every SL gets an away tie so the Lower league clubs can gain all the media attention & sell the game to their community & the SL clubs fans enjoy an interesting new ground but less salubrious surroundings & hopefully take several hundred fans with them to help the home clubs coffers win/win 

It's certainly not a plan without merit, but it doesn't really deal with the core issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

TV pictures wont give you sight of entire stadium. Top deck at one end closed. Lots of space in second tier and ground level (called the 300 level for some reason - they must have underground bunkers!) far from overflowing.

I was a bit surprised it was a high as announced.  That attendance wont last if they continue to play background music throughout the game as they did yesterday - even when kickers were taking attempt at goal.  I watched the NRLW game followed by the NRL game - thats 4 hours of the constant background music (if you can call it that).

During the course of the game you did see the whole stadium. The top of the Caxton Street end was closed off but that has a limited capacity at Lang Park. Other end was pretty much full and the TV side was packed. 

The bowl at LP holds about 40,000 or so roughly (ie. not including the top levels).

I've also been to the ground in its current configuration about 150 times so I've got a fair idea of a crowd in there. 

Still surprised. However, as has been pointed out, they have both played very poorly over the last couple of years. And I'm still not sure why one of the best backrowers in the game is playing so much centre at NQ. He is way off his best atm.  

"There has never been a Challenge Cup semifinal of 65,000 either individually or combined" - Damien

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I must say I winced when I saw the crowd figure for Warrington today even allowing for circumstances (cup, mother's day, poor form, same team twice...).

I agree with the idea of including cup games (home and away?) on season tickets IF it will make a significant difference to attendances, as lost revenue MAY balance out through a better looking event leading to better sponsorship/TV revenues and better promotion of the game generally leading to  more paying spectators at other games. We need clubs to do some research though regarding what proportion of season ticket holders are paying for tickets to cup games. The proportion may be higher than we think and therefore the gain in spectator numbers from this change may be lower than we think. I suspect it would be worth the change but we need to avoid knee jerk tendencies.

I particularly dislike the suggestion of group games in the challenge cup. 4 groups of 5 was mentioned. Depending whether just the group winners go through to the semis or the top two go through to the quarters, the cup finalists would play either 2 or 3 games a season more than at present. There'd be even less of a chance of an upset for lower teams than in a one off game so the championship vs super league matches would be less of a draw and I suspect the all super league group games would get lower attendances than the loop fixtures, which I also dislike BTW.

Other answers involve a degree of compromise: I'd welcome the SL clubs entering the CC a round earlier but I'd also like to see a 14 team league to allow SL to expand to new markets, I'd like more space in the calendar for internationals and  I'd quite like to keep the Magic weekend. It starts to feel like trying to squeeze the proverbial quart into the pint pot. We could address this by having a longer season with a maximum number of competitive games per player or we could accept that not every team plays each other home and away every season to keep the actual number of games down. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To much familiarity with repeat fixtures.

Early rounds of CC are attractive.

Later rounds less so.

Final is attractive.

I blame too few teams in SL, too many repeat fixtures. Not as easy as changing one thing as it's part of a larger issue.

I would consider including games in season tickets and I do like the idea of group stages.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Eddie said:

Easy to use words like disgraceful from behind your laptop screen in Stevenage but what would you do to improve things that Wire (a progressive club) haven’t thought of? 

Given the price of tickets for that particular game and crowds for similar games at that club, it was disgraceful. I’ve also never been to Stevenage in my life. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Eddie said:

Easy to use words like disgraceful from behind your laptop screen in Stevenage but what would you do to improve things that Wire (a progressive club) haven’t thought of? 

4 groups of 5, all clubs are guaranteed 2 home and 2 away games, the extra 2 home games can then be sold as part of the season ticket package, cup games will then get attendances similar to Super League games.

The groups to be made up of 12 SL clubs and 8 Championship clubs, drawn completely at random from the 20 qualifying teams, you could end up with groups of al SL clubs, all Championship clubs, or a mix of the 2 in any combination. The Winner of each group goes into the cup semi final.

The other Championship and League One clubs that don’t make it to the last 8 before the Super League clubs enter the competition can play for a a separate Challenge Cup bowl trophy, giving clubs near the bottom of the Championship and in League One the chance of winning a trophy and having a Wembley day out.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, cookey said:

Have any of you noticed the attendances at the World Indoor Athletics Championships, numerous Cricket Test matches, various golf and tennis events etc, etc.

Unsurprisingly, no, but having seen good attendances within Rugby League so far this season, it’s very disappointing to see a crowd as low as 2,600 at Warrington. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...