Malta v Macedonia - 6th February 2022

15 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Who cares? It’s a game of Rugby League involving near enough forty lads who are, whether they know it or not, growing the game. 

It gets confusing when a nation has heritage and local teams. Given what's been going on in the Balkans, Macedonia may well have the early stages of a domestic scene.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

14 hours ago, Futtocks said:

It gets confusing when a nation has heritage and local teams. Given what's been going on in the Balkans, Macedonia may well have the early stages of a domestic scene.

Unfortunately, they don't, at least not yet. I hope it is in their plans, as Skopje is perfectly located in the middle of the Balkans, would be perfect place to hold 9s tournaments as teams from Serbia, Albania, Bulgaria, Bosnia, Greece and even Turkey all being able to travle their by road.

The only concerning me here, is that this new Macedonia team has not even gotten ERL or IRL observer membership yet, which is actually quite easy to get, but does require some local presence in the actual country it represents. It seems to me therefore, they have not yet done this and have been around for nearly a year now. And in nearly every post they make on social media, they mention their intention to qualify for RLWC2025. Not sure how they expect to do that if they are not even a recognised IRL member. 

So needless to say, this is not a sanctioned international test match, but I do hope it might lead to something eventually start up in new nation. Good luck to all involved! 

On 01/02/2022 at 19:43, Jughead said:

Who cares? It’s a game of Rugby League involving near enough forty lads who are, whether they know it or not, growing the game. 

They aren't growing the game in Macedonia though. I think Jamaica and Serbia are showing how you grow the game by actually getting people in those countries playing.

Just now, NW10LDN said:

They aren't growing the game in Macedonia though. I think Jamaica and Serbia are showing how you grow the game by actually getting people in those countries playing.

Does it matter right now? Things grow slowly. There’s a group of blokes representing the homeland of their family by playing rugby league and offering a community, however big, something to unite them and something to aspire to. Having Gallen and Flanagan involved will have only generated headlines and widened their brand. 

1 minute ago, Jughead said:

Does it matter right now? Things grow slowly. There’s a group of blokes representing the homeland of their family by playing rugby league and offering a community, however big, something to unite them and something to aspire to. Having Gallen and Flanagan involved will have only generated headlines and widened their brand. 

It matters if their stated goal is to qualify for the next WC which requires ERL membership and a domestic set up.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-2021-macedonian-lions-shane-flanagan-paul-gallen-firstever-rugby-league-game-european-cup-2025-rugby-league-world-cup/news-story/45d092e0d6e13dde0a66676f5c9f9736

Article from December about their first game, states they intend to compete in the 2023 European Championships in tier D and success in that competition would move them up to tier B (can't imagine this is right). If this does somehow eventuate they might find some trouble adhering to the domestic quotas enforced in the European Championships.

In any case, they have some quality RL figures involved in Aus and we've seen the potential for heritage sides to spur on domestic activity. At the very least heritage teams like this are a good way of engaging new groups of people within established RL nations who may not otherwise be drawn to the sport.

Personally i think they are doing great , but unfortunately cracking North Macedonia rugby teams it will be very difficult but a must , Having played Union in Scopje my self ,i know that the players what to be part of RL but as i mentioned before they dont have have the opportunity to choose, because some union british fans are playing the role of "coach/CEO" for theyr personal driven desire to feel important and relevant without having idea what are doing.

I wish them all the best in their journey big supporter but without Scopje on their side it is a non sense trying to rapresent theyr country from another country.

On 02/02/2022 at 21:07, langpark said:

The only concerning me here, is that this new Macedonia team has not even gotten ERL or IRL observer membership yet, which is actually quite easy to get, but does require some local presence in the actual country it represents. It seems to me therefore, they have not yet done this and have been around for nearly a year now. And in nearly every post they make on social media, they mention their intention to qualify for RLWC2025. Not sure how they expect to do that if they are not even a recognised IRL member. 

Spoken like someone who doesn't know the first thing about what they're talking about. 

Observer membership can be almost impossible to get depending on the nation. I'd recommend new nations not to even bother. Just play the game and develop on your own terms. They don't have a chance for 2025 qualification. It's PR.

But your thinly veiled xenophobia is showing again.

new rise.jpg

On 07/02/2022 at 20:37, Pulga said:

Spoken like someone who doesn't know the first thing about what they're talking about. 

Observer membership can be almost impossible to get depending on the nation. I'd recommend new nations not to even bother. Just play the game and develop on your own terms. They don't have a chance for 2025 qualification. It's PR.

But your thinly veiled xenophobia is showing again.

Are they developing the game in Macedonia? 

3 hours ago, NW10LDN said:

Are they developing the game in Macedonia? 

I don't know. They played their first ever game 4 months ago. At this stage it barely matters.

new rise.jpg

Archived