2022 Winter Olympics Thread

Okay, this may require a partner thread on the Politics sub-forum, but this one is for the sport.

Coverage starts at noon tomorrow (2/2/2022), with the opening ceremony on Friday.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...

Strangely quiet on here. That's in complete contrast to most of the commentators. SHUT THE #### UP!  LESS IS MORE!.

just been watching various skiing events and the innane nattering of the commentators  is something to behold (NOT!)  There was one brief silence. Good, I thought, now we can concentrate on the action.  But no. It was just the commentator breathing is for a millisecond. Jeez..these guys  make the Sky team sound good. 

11 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Strangely quiet on here. That's in complete contrast to most of the commentators. SHUT THE #### UP!  LESS IS MORE!.

just been watching various skiing events and the innane nattering of the commentators  is something to behold (NOT!)  There was one brief silence. Good, I thought, now we can concentrate on the action.  But no. It was just the commentator breathing is for a millisecond. Jeez..these guys  make the Sky team sound good. 

Especially the commentary on the Freestyle events, when everything's awesome and mega and great, all the time.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

How can it be a truly inclusive 'winter' event when it's all based on ice and snow? 

It's well known that Britian comes to a complete halt when there is an inch of snow, so we are at a complete disadvantage in these games.

Where's the standing in the wind and rain whilst trying to stop your umbrella blowing inside out, or the who can huddle in a shop doorway in a downpour. 

These games are truly representative of winter.

And so we shall again…

I've had it on TV in the background while working.

Productivity fell during the speed skating, ski/board cross, some critical final plays in the curling and the men's halfpipe final.

Productivity unaffected during moguls, slopestyle and ice hockey.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pleased for Lyndsay Jacobellis winning gold in the Boarder Cross after her epic throwing away of the medal in 2006

Then with her partner they win the mixed event - ages 40 and 37. Not just a young persons sport!

3 hours ago, shaun mc said:

Pleased for Lyndsay Jacobellis winning gold in the Boarder Cross after her epic throwing away of the medal in 2006

Then with her partner they win the mixed event - ages 40 and 37. Not just a young persons sport!

Yes I saw her win the other night , then immediately went on you tube to watch the 2006 race again , its still absolutely incredible to watch .

For those criticising Sky RL commentators, just think yourself lucky that you don't have Steve Cram on the team . He's ruining the curling with his inane blathering. He can't shut up. He has to fill every silence with the sound of his irritating voice. Example just now. "Its so quiet you can hear a pin drop in here.". No you can't , oaf.  All you can hear is YOU.!!!!!!!!!🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

The GB men's Curling team have reached the final, so we have finally won a medal from this year's Games.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Someone needs to teach Americans another sporting chant. "USA! USA!" has gotta be the most annoying chant ever. Very happy for our Curlers!

You're not kidding , I first heard it at the 1984 Olympics at the same as I first saw the Los Angeles wave , its become very tiresome .

18 minutes ago, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

You're not kidding , I first heard it at the 1984 Olympics at the same as I first saw the Los Angeles wave , its become very tiresome .

I love curling but the constant chanting from the US team in the stands was making it quite unenjoyable at times. I notice they shut up when America started messing it up after the 6th end though! The US more than any other country really does perpetuate its own stereotypes I feel, I mean the long haired player with the moustache was such a stereotypical American it was almost laughable. Anyway, I'm going off on a xenophobic tangent so I'll stop. Great that we're gonna at least get something from these games! 

Teenage Russian skater Kamila Valieva crumbled (quite understandably) under all the pressure and finished 4th, so a medal ceremony will take place.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

Teenage Russian skater Kamila Valieva crumbled (quite understandably) under all the pressure and finished 4th, so a medal ceremony will take place.

At last, some good news.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Someone needs to teach Americans another sporting chant. "USA! USA!" has gotta be the most annoying chant ever. Very happy for our Curlers!

See also pretty much every other chant we hear from across the pond - three syllables, no more, no less.

U.S.A.!

Lock her up!

Count the votes!

Stop the count!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

See also pretty much every other chant we hear from across the pond - three syllables, no more, no less.

U.S.A.!

Lock her up!

Count the votes!

Stop the count!

Yep and I always assume they all come from the original, "U.S.A! U.S.A!" like that chant is the God and archetype of all other chants.

Its as if a bunch of hipsters show up at a rally in Washington and say, "Right, we've got the one and only tune for a chant because as we all know there isn't any other ones so now we just need the words",

"I know, how about: 'Vegans are brilliant?" 

"Don't be stupid, that's got far too many syllables!" 

And then before you know it everyone is chanting, "Vegans good! Vegans good! Vegans good!" 

And hipsters wonder why we all hate vegans.... 

I got a bit too into that..! 😁

On 13/02/2022 at 08:30, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Watching the curling at the moment and I just keep thinking, if these Danish ladies are just a suggestion of the beauty of the women in that country then I am bloody jealous of Bob! 😍

They pay me more in the USA, but I moved back here three times 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

10 hours ago, Futtocks said:

A drug cheat gets her comeuppance.

It really is time ALL RUSSIANS who make the podium are drug tested before the medal presentation.

6 hours ago, The Future is League said:

A drug cheat gets her comeuppance.

It really is time ALL RUSSIANS who make the podium are drug tested before the medal presentation.

Most drug cheats get the substances out of their systems well before the actual competition. Valieva failed her drug test in December. Due to a backlog in processing, the results only became known after the Games had begun and she'd taken part in the team competition.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived