Rapist rejoins Raith Rovers

David Goodwillie the proven racist has just been signed by Raith Rovers. The clubs women’s team captain and various players have walked out of the club, the main sponsor has pulled sponsorship and the general feeling towards the club is one of disdain.  

And so we shall again…

The club's statement was so badly thought out, it might have been drafted by Nadine Dorries.

The women's and girls' teams are considering a split and a name change.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

39 minutes ago, devonhawk said:

David Goodwillie the proven racist has just been signed by Raith Rovers. The clubs women’s team captain and various players have walked out of the club, the main sponsor has pulled sponsorship and the general feeling towards the club is one of disdain.  

This gives a good overview of the situation: https://www.football365.com/news/opinion-the-raith-rovers-rapist-debacle-show-how-deep-footballs-misogyny-runs.

It's not a particularly comfortable read.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

40 minutes ago, devonhawk said:

According to the Dundee Courier, around 30 community volunteers have informed Raith Rovers they won't be returning. Even the guy who does the public address announcements has quit.

Goodwillie attended Raith's tier two home game with Queen of the South last night. Reported to have a hamstring injury, he watched from the main stand. Raith twice let slip a lead as they were held 3-3 by the division's bottom club.

The signing of Goodwillie is football's misogyny incarnate, suggests Football365:

https://www.football365.com/news/opinion-the-raith-rovers-rapist-debacle-show-how-deep-footballs-misogyny-runs

44 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

According to the Dundee Courier, around 30 community volunteers have informed Raith Rovers they won't be returning. Even the guy who does the public address announcements has quit.

Goodwillie attended Raith's tier two home game with Queen of the South last night. Reported to have a hamstring injury, he watched from the main stand. Raith twice let slip a lead as they were held 3-3 by the division's bottom club.

The signing of Goodwillie is football's misogyny incarnate, suggests Football365:

https://www.football365.com/news/opinion-the-raith-rovers-rapist-debacle-show-how-deep-footballs-misogyny-runs

Not sure you can necessarily read a lot into this but the attendance - at just over 1,000 - appears to be half of the last time they could admit a full crowd and under all their previous home league matches that I can see.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

14 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Not sure you can necessarily read a lot into this but the attendance - at just over 1,000 - appears to be half of the last time they could admit a full crowd and under all their previous home league matches that I can see.

Apparently, Raith have about 1,500 season ticket holders. 

The chief executive of Scottish Women's Football isn't impressed by the Goodwillie signing:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-60218045

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

This gives a good overview of the situation: https://www.football365.com/news/opinion-the-raith-rovers-rapist-debacle-show-how-deep-footballs-misogyny-runs.

It's not a particularly comfortable read.

That's a really good article which sums up the culture superbly.

And so we shall again…

16 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

Apparently, Raith have about 1,500 season ticket holders. 

The chief executive of Scottish Women's Football isn't impressed by the Goodwillie signing:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-60218045

Val McDermid, and other it seems, paying for the costs of Raith Women to have new shirts made without the club crest and the team are seeking to change their name.

(I believe the lower level women's season there runs during the summer so this isn't a mid-season swap).

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

The club's statement was so badly thought out

Yes I thought the same . Well it’s purely about ‘ football reasons ‘  , that’s the end of that . Worrying that people in charge seem to have so little awareness 

56 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

Football is certainly facing some fairly awful headlines regarding rape.

Mason Greenwood under investigation, Ben Mendy facing a number of charges with his trial in July. Now this.

Cristiano Ronaldo still facing questions over that night in Vegas 10 years ago

Worth an update. Raith Rovers have performed a U-turn (oddly, the club chairman, John Sim, also the owner and majority shareholder, does not append his name):

https://www.raithrovers.net/52477/chairman-update-david-goodwillie.htm

Former chairman calls for resignations:

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/2975241/former-raith-rovers-chairman-bill-clark-resignations-david-goodwillie/

On 02/02/2022 at 13:39, DavidM said:

Yes I thought the same . Well it’s purely about ‘ football reasons ‘  , that’s the end of that . Worrying that people in charge seem to have so little awareness 

What I found the most staggering about that terribly conceived statement was that it said that the decision was made for footballing reasons and went straight on to say that the board hoped to build back trust in the near future. It's as if they knew their decision was going to rip the club apart (as they had been warned by two board members) and saved themselves having to put out a second statement when the s$1t hit the fan.

1 hour ago, Hopping Mad said:

Worth an update. Raith Rovers have performed a U-turn (oddly, the club chairman, John Sim, also the owner and majority shareholder, does not append his name):

https://www.raithrovers.net/52477/chairman-update-david-goodwillie.htm

Former chairman calls for resignations:

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/2975241/former-raith-rovers-chairman-bill-clark-resignations-david-goodwillie/

The women's team, various previous volunteers, McDermid, and the rest ... all appear to be going, "Well, this is a start but nothing more ..."

22 hours ago, Red Willow said:

Football is certainly facing some fairly awful headlines regarding rape.

Mason Greenwood under investigation, Ben Mendy facing a number of charges with his trial in July. Now this.

I once taught a lad, who for his age (11) was the best footballer by a mile I'd ever seen. He was also the most arrogant child I've ever seen at that age.

Being awesome at football seemed to give him licence to do what he wanted. He was so popular that all the girls liked him, and the boys wanted to be liked by him. I also taught him when he was 6 and he wasn't at all like that.

Hearing Greenwood's voice made me wonder if this was a lad whose talent had enabled him to do what he wanted without ever facing consequences.

That's not to tar all footballers, one of the nicest lads I ever taught is captain of one of the Liverpool U16/17 teams.

8 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I once taught a lad, who for his age (11) was the best footballer by a mile I'd ever seen. He was also the most arrogant child I've ever seen at that age.

Being awesome at football seemed to give him licence to do what he wanted. He was so popular that all the girls liked him, and the boys wanted to be liked by him. I also taught him when he was 6 and he wasn't at all like that.

Hearing Greenwood's voice made me wonder if this was a lad whose talent had enabled him to do what he wanted without ever facing consequences.

That's not to tar all footballers, one of the nicest lads I ever taught is captain of one of the Liverpool U16/17 teams.

I'm loathe to praise Mark Goldbridge, but he got it spot on when he discussed how with many young players never have to learn respect because they are paid huge sums of money, are consistently told they are great by yes people, and are rarely if ever told no.

The lad you taught is probably a youth captain at Liverpool because he is the exact opposite.

It is also worth thinking about how club cultures can lead to things. A players character is one of the most important aspects for some clubs, less so for others. Telling that Southgate seems to value that at England too.

It can interesting why some issues and stories become news, scandals etc again, when the matters have happened years previously. The inaptly named Goodwillie had been playing for Clyde since 2017, after the civil case for rape found in favour of the complainant against him and his mate. According to the reports I have read, he had been asked to leave Plymouth Argyle, as he was thinking about/planning an appeal. He and his mate lost the appeal. 

In short, there was plenty of information about him in the public domain, with the findings of the civil case, plus his criminal convictions for assault. He has played at Clyde since 2017 and he has a good goal scoring record with them; presumably that was why people at Raith decided to sign a 32 year old with three convictions for assault and a civil case finding against him. It's strange that the people involved at Raith didn't see the risks in signing Goodwillie.

There doesn't appear to have been much of a fuss about him playing for Clyde in Leagues One and Two. Perhaps somebody has an explanation why/why not.

12 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I'm loathe to praise Mark Goldbridge, but he got it spot on when he discussed how with many young players never have to learn respect because they are paid huge sums of money, are consistently told they are great by yes people, and are rarely if ever told no.

The lad you taught is probably a youth captain at Liverpool because he is the exact opposite.

It is also worth thinking about how club cultures can lead to things. A players character is one of the most important aspects for some clubs, less so for others. Telling that Southgate seems to value that at England too.

Warrington used to have a "No Richardheads" policy. I can recall a young player at Wire talking about the expectations the club had of him and the consequences if he didn't meet them, namely, getting the boot.

The guy has a violent history and even knocked out a bouncer who used to be a decent Rugby Union player and has attacked people in the past...##### like him should been playing harder sports but hey that's Scotland for you as it 95% Football.

3 hours ago, longboard said:

Warrington used to have a "No Richardheads" policy. I can recall a young player at Wire talking about the expectations the club had of him and the consequences if he didn't meet them, namely, getting the boot.

I think you've done a typo there. You accidentally placed the word 'no' in your first sentence...

On 03/02/2022 at 18:47, longboard said:

There doesn't appear to have been much of a fuss about him playing for Clyde in Leagues One and Two. Perhaps somebody has an explanation why/why not.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think a key issue is that Raith are the heart of Kirkcaldy in the same way that, say, Fev are the heart of their community. Even people who don't go feel the club is theirs.

Clyde have been a bit more nomadic and whilst their fans care there isn't that same community wraparound.

11 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think a key issue is that Raith are the heart of Kirkcaldy in the same way that, say, Fev are the heart of their community. Even people who don't go feel the club is theirs.

Clyde have been a bit more nomadic and whilst their fans care there isn't that same community wraparound.

Clyde were at the heart of Rutherglen. Problem with playing at Cumbernauld is its full of people who have moved from elsewhere, with football allegiances long established.

1,196 - well below average - at Stark's Park this afternoon, for a goalless draw with Hamilton Accies.

4 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

Now, Raith Rovers are blaming the media for their travails. Haven't Rovers learned anything from the past week?

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/raith-rovers-blunder-again-david-26157157

Meanwhile ...

Archived