Match thread: Championship Rd2. Featherstone Rovers v Leigh. Monday 7th February 2022.

marklaspalmas

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It attracted a bit of attention when McDermott said Leigh were favourites to get promoted (even though it was true at the time), but Beaumont has ramped up the mind games and then some, I wouldn't normally link to a SARL piece but as this is actually an original interview I'll make an exception.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/if-they-cant-beat-us-in-round-two-at-home-on-a-heavier-pitch-then-they-arent-going-to-be-fancying-it-later-in-the-year-leigh-centurions-owner-derek-beaumont-lays-down-featherstone-challenge-48512/

"We’ve got places and money left to add to our squad and whilst people are making a lot out of this game on Monday, I honestly don’t get the hype around it."

"there’s no pressure on Adrian Lam or any of my lads....In Featherstone’s point of view there’s a lot of pressure on them for that day."

“If they do lose that then it is a different story – if they can’t beat us at round two at home on a heavier pitch – their pitch – then they aren’t going to be fancying it later in the year at Headingley or LSV when we are all together and more improved."

Bet Premier Sports and the RFL will be thrilled to read him heavily downplaying this televised game...there's every chance we too will have four or five of what may turn out to be our key players either missing or having their first start for months, but you get those excuses in early Degsy...

That sort of method has been used for countless years. Brainwashing has been used many times. In doctrinating kids at an early age and trying to influence people is still going on. Just watch TV adverts they are an example. Keep a clear mind and act to the best of your ability. Keep Bullxxxx at long arms length.

21 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

degsy certainly likes the sound of his own gob remember when he signed an aussie who refused to be vaccinated

Should be a personal choice and clubs should not be asked to influence players!!!

and now he's had a little pop at joey 

Beaumont said: "We declined the year before came in late in the deal this year we were told he preferred part-time rugby. Every overseas player will tell you we sort everything I have bought five houses in last 18 months for our players. 

It's remarkable how much BS can come out of one mouth

Looking at the 19 names listed on the RFL website, it looks like Jesse S-L and Gill (both missing as expected) are replaced by Ferres and Chisholm in the 21- man squad. Leilua and Wildie aren't amongst the 19 names but weren't last week either, and  were the 2 extra players included when the club tweeted the 21 names.

One of these days the RFL will redesign their web page to hold 21 names, but am not holding my breath.. 

46 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Looking at the 19 names listed on the RFL website, it looks like Jesse S-L and Gill (both missing as expected) are replaced by Ferres and Chisholm in the 21- man squad. Leilua and Wildie aren't amongst the 19 names but weren't last week either, and  were the 2 extra players included when the club tweeted the 21 names.

Squad named by Rovers and Leilua and Wildie are indeed the 2 extra names.
https://twitter.com/FevRoversRLFC/status/1489947073831124998

1 hour ago, marklaspalmas said:

All those 21 will be fully expecting a shirt for Monday. Tough for four of them to miss out.

I would be very disappointed if that wasn't the case M

Talking of missing out

If Joey  plays where do we play our goal kicker FB or centre❓

18 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Hellewell and Leilua listed at centre and Hardy back row, interesting to see if they line up like that (though of course it's only 1 player apart).

True  PH but I'm more interested in where's  BRETT❓

How good was that!

Made far more metres than them, defended superbly when they had 10 or 12 sets to our 1 in last 10 minutes of first half, again defended superbly when they had lots of possession in 2nd half. 

Especially losing Hardy and Joey in first 15 minutes, Connor playing centre all game against Mcdonald, and we scored some superb tries in very difficult conditions.

Moors was totally dominant and Bussey, Briscoe, Pickersgill, Hellewell and Wildie were all terrific too. Only week 2 so let's not get carried away but nothing wrong with celebrating a tremendous performance.

Archived