Match thread: Championship Rd2. Featherstone Rovers v Leigh. Monday 7th February 2022.

marklaspalmas

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well done lads. just like the attritional matches of the pre summer era.Both teams played their part, and our defence in the last ten minutes of the first half was absolutely superb.  An entertaining match , well refereed and we played to the end.

Pity about the injury to Hardcastle, id Joey go off injured or was this just a run out due to him not used to these conditions / ?

A good good performance tonight. Great tackling from all 17 players. 

Some decent rugby played in difficult conditions. Rovers down the left made great metres tonight. If that is the type of Rugby that they can play on a pudding of a pitch against the league favourites then it augurs well for the season. 

It's two games in a game that means nothing until October, but it's a very good start against teams that could have beaten us on paper. 

Junior Mooors, Jack Bussey, Brandon Pickersgill, and most of all Mattie Wildie stood out for me tonight but 1 to 17 were very solid. 

Josh got changed early and looked sore, Leulia looked okay and stayed in his kit, he made a huge impact in the cameo that he played we are going to have a treat with him this year. 

Great attendance tonight put another 500 on that had it been warm, Sunday and no tv. 

#utr

Eyup what a game. Fev had a defence that was impenetrable, albeit with one assist from the bloke in the middle. Was on the edge of my seat shouting my head of all game. 10 minutes extra on the first half too! Leuloo looks a handful! Hope the kneets give the same performance in a few weeks time. 

6 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

A 4562 crowd in foul conditions on a wet Monday night in early February.

Fantastic.

Yeah it is Robin but SOME would rather slate our pitch ,floodlight's or anything good about the club.

Spot on Robin.

The pitch is well used . and most pitches at this time of the year will cut up. Same for both sides. Lets get on with it

Excellent attendance.no rain in Sheffield so i was surprised at how much had fallen in Fev.We made three or four mistakes in our own half but defended for our lives not to let Leigh score.Think we were always playing the most expansive Rugby until Leigh went for broke and started throwing it about in the last 20 min.Glad we went to the edges more rather than play it down the middle.Better for Chizzy's return his kicking was safe and he does read the game well.Thought the Ref was a bit harsh with us penalty wise and repeat sets.No problem about facing Leigh on a drier ground i think we are well equipped out wide if we don't have injuries and better in the halves.PICKERSGILL i told you last week he was the full back with attacking ability that we needed.He will get 20+ tries this season and may even heat 25.Consideing we had so many players playing out of position due to injuries a very pleasing result.

I'm sorry  but we can't keep saying how good we were last night census of opinion is we only won because of the pitch and when they play  on a dry and firm pitch we will  all see how good they are 

6 minutes ago, POR said:

I'm sorry  but we can't keep saying how good we were last night census of opinion is we only won because of the pitch and when they play  on a dry and firm pitch we will  all see how good they are 

We were much the better team.

It will be a very different game on a flat dry pitch. I don't know how that favours leigh any more that fev. We were saying last night before ko that we had hoped this fixture was a few more weeks in.

I am very happy with our two opening fixtures. Defensively, we look entirely different gravy this season.

48 minutes ago, OldManMarley said:

We only won because of the pitch?

You been drinking fella?

And the lights..... the ref.... our fans....the changing rooms..... 

We got top side last night. I suspect leigh will be well up for it at the LSV and I'm equally sure Mac will prepare for that game knowing just that.

Some massive shifts in defense last night topped by Wildie with a massive 55 tackles. Davies (45) and Bussey (44) not far behind. Those kind of tackling numbers are unusual in the Championship but we lost 2 interchanges very early in the game meaning big minutes for several players.

Big yardage from Briscoe (14 carries for 141 yards), Pickersgill (14 for 136), and Hellewell (14 for 124) .

Bussey (18 carries for 116 yards), Lockwood (15 for 96), Moors (12 for 94) all ground out the tough yards.

Be some tired bodies this morning.

19 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Some massive shifts in defense last night topped by Wildie with a massive 55 tackles. Davies (45) and Bussey (44) not far behind. Those kind of tackling numbers are unusual in the Champiosnhip but we lost 2 interchanges very early in the game meaning big minutes for several players.

Big yardage from Briscoe (14 carries for 141 yards), Pickersgill (14 for 136), and Hellewell (14 for 124) .

Bussey (18 carries for 116 yards), Lockwood (15 for 96), Moors (12 for 94) all ground out the tough yards.

And a lot of Fevs team will have been at work yesterday and this morning. I assume Leigh are a full time team and they will definitely have some sore legs and bodies after their encounter with Fev Rovers

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Some massive shifts in defense last night topped by Wildie with a massive 55 tackles. Davies (45) and Bussey (44) not far behind. Those kind of tackling numbers are unusual in the Champiosnhip but we lost 2 interchanges very early in the game meaning big minutes for several players.

Some effort that..

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Some massive shifts in defense last night topped by Wildie with a massive 55 tackles. Davies (45) and Bussey (44) not far behind. Those kind of tackling numbers are unusual in the Championship but we lost 2 interchanges very early in the game meaning big minutes for several players.

Good stats. I remember WIldie knocking on from ahb and thinking 'oh sugar' but what a stint he put in. Once Davies and Jones came on very early doors, Wildie knew he was doing the 80. Once Joey came off, Bussey knew the same. Immense work. Locky too. Big minutes.

4 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Was helped by the first half lasting about an hour 😂😂

7 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Those tackling stats are incredible.

8 hours ago, gittinsfan said:

Those tackling stats are incredible.

Indeed. A combination of three or four of our forwards having to do 70 or in a couple of cases 80 minutes because of the two very early injuries, and a couple of long periods when Leigh were camped in our 20m...in the last 12 minutes or so of the first half they had 11 sets and during that time we only played the ball 6 times.

Archived