Widnes Vikings

Spike

People just need to stick with the club and hope that they can win the games against the teams who will be around them at the bottom. If town stop up it will be a successful season. 
It was always going to be a hiding to nothing against teams like these when there has been no real strengthening of the playing staff 

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we all knew that this year was going to be hard and there’ll be some more of these scores. But I think as Chris has just said everybody needs to stick together. We wanted championship rugby and we’ve got it, unfortunately we don’t have a big pot full of money to dive into, but we do have some talented young players who need to learn quickly and hopefully when we come up against teams that are likely to be around us can grind out some wins. UTT

5 minutes ago, IanMac said:

I think we all knew that this year was going to be hard and there’ll be some more of these scores. But I think as Chris has just said everybody needs to stick together. We wanted championship rugby and we’ve got it, unfortunately we don’t have a big pot full of money to dive into, but we do have some talented young players who need to learn quickly and hopefully when we come up against teams that are likely to be around us can grind out some wins. UTT

All this stick together stuff is fine and I’m sure the diehards will but we all know how fickle some fans can be. A few more results like that and home attendances will plummet and put us in a worse situation. 

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Really disappointing result..  but I, and I hope many others..  Will be back down at DP next week loud as ever UTT

The players will soon get disheartened with defeats of todays magnitude.

championship rugby is a huge step up and there aren’t many players locally who are good enough for this level, so I reckon the best and only option for the club is to try and get a couple of experienced loan players once super league starts again, or it’s going to be a long long season.

Thorman has to give the current squad a few games to see whose up to this level and who clearly isn’t and make decisions from there as we do have some talented players, but as we’ve seen today, weak links are easily broken and defences win games !

Just now, Derwent said:

All this stick together stuff is fine and I’m sure the diehards will but we all know how fickle some fans can be. A few more results like that and home attendances will plummet and put us in a worse situation. 

That’s been the case in watching town for nearly 60 years. Crowds follow a winning team whatever the sport and Town are no different. Unfortunately we are going to lose more than we win so we’ll just have to see what happens with the crowds. 

Just coming back from the game today, although the score was large there were spells when town looked good and where getting back into it, first set of six they put a high bomb up Oscar let's it bounce and  Brad raises in , they run in a few quick ones and we are chasing the game , town then have a good 20 minutes spell and get some points on the board, second half  we had chances close to the line but simply are not big enough to get over the line unlike Widnes who scored with there big men, we should have took our chances when they went to 12 men but on first tackle Curtis goes into touch and they score 2 more quick trys, it's a massive learning curve that we will have to learn fast, let's get behind the lads and stick with them not slagg them off, UTT .Bring on Fev next week 🥴

Ps Matty Smith was class today.

6 minutes ago, Derwent said:

And that is what scares me too............I have loved being crammed in on the popular side for those great crowds v Keighley, Doncaster (play offs last season), and Whitehaven few weeks back, even a good gate for Newcastle - and it's a sad fact that Mr.(or Mrs)Ficklechops will stay at home if Town fare too badly. So I feel, and have said on here, the squad is very short of pack size. Someone has already mentioned how much bigger the Widnes 6 were, and apparently caused havoc amongst the Town defence - fingers crossed it's an important quick fix for the BOD and Coaches to address.

8 minutes ago, IanMac said:

That’s been the case in watching town for nearly 60 years. Crowds follow a winning team whatever the sport and Town are no different. Unfortunately we are going to lose more than we win so we’ll just have to see what happens with the crowds. 

It's true enough Ian that Town fans are no different than most sport followers....e.g. loving the likes of the 'Walsh era' for many thousands...and prior to that I/we ( about 300 of us) suffered the painfilled mid eighties...let's hope we don't see a repeat of the latter mentioned sad days......but the squad deffo need big hitters to allay those fears.

1 hour ago, Onreport said:

Writing was on the wall last week Bob, Far too predicable ans slow in attack and very light going forward at this level. Still be there next week though UTT

Your right Mike it was, as we said last week “a good big un, beats a a good little un every time” proved today without doubt.

I know we are in for some drubbings this year but we have to be competitive.

There are always those who are overly optimistic & pessimistic, and this is magnified in sports supporters.

We needed to have a very good day & they have a bad day for us to have a chance today. But it's disappointing none the less that we conceded so many points and made so many mistakes. You can't defend like we did and expect to win no matter who the halves are. Next week will be even tougher, so the lads need to get their chins up and have a real dig next week. Its not a throw away game against Fev as us fans expect them to give 100%. If we are beaten by a better team and the lads have left it all out there, then we will get behind them and clap them off. Fingers crossed we play better than this week. 

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

Gonna give my honest thoughts and I'm sure many will disagree.. but I feel Chris has been dealt a bad hand.. limited resources to build a squad.. having to go into a season in the toughest championship we've seen for years without the ability to improve the squad is always going to be tough, and sadly some players aren't championship standard.. but I've never been more proud to be a town fan these past few years with covid etc.. just hope we don't see too many more hammerings and Chris is able to bring some new players In to make a success of this season!

And p.s, let's be louder than ever at DP next week and show the boys we believe In them.. as it will undoubtedly be a tough game 💙🤍

And p.p.s.. what a great job DP supporters club and Travelers supporters have done in raising funds.. its appreciated by all fans 

52 minutes ago, chromedome said:

It's true enough Ian that Town fans are no different than most sport followers....e.g. loving the likes of the 'Walsh era' for many thousands...and prior to that I/we ( about 300 of us) suffered the painfilled mid eighties...let's hope we don't see a repeat of the latter mentioned sad days......but the squad deffo need big hitters to allay those fears.

Just on them painfilled times Keith, I remember being present at the lowest ever D P crowd of about 248 I think. Was that in the 70’s against Bramley in the John player cup or Capt Morgan’s trophy? Might be completely wrong but thought you might have the info.

8 minutes ago, IanMac said:

Just on them painfilled times Keith, I remember being present at the lowest ever D P crowd of about 248 I think. Was that in the 70’s against Bramley in the John player cup or Capt Morgan’s trophy? Might be completely wrong but thought you might have the info.

I remember when we played carlisle for what felt like the 20th time in that stupid season with a tiny league and there were only just over 200 there, it was terrible. 

6 minutes ago, IanMac said:

1972 I think that was. Officially the lowest ever crowd. But I was at the 1984 game against Huyton where the crowd was given as a round figure of 250 and there’s no way there was that many there. I remember counting there being about 70 people on the popular side. So although not the official lowest I think the Huyton game was the actual lowest.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

6 minutes ago, IanMac said:

I can't confirm that sorry Ian.....I have all the records for Town that gives the teams, point scorers, but sadly attendances are not included.....though the Rothman Yearbooks do show them.

One match details, I recall being at, was versus Huyton (mid 80's)  - when the attendance was returned at 250....and I counted less than that ha, ha.

5 minutes ago, Derwent said:

1972 I think that was. Officially the lowest ever crowd. But I was at the 1984 game against Huyton where the crowd was given as a round figure of 250 and there’s no way there was that many there. I remember counting there being about 70 people on the popular side. So although not the official lowest I think the Huyton game was the actual lowest.

Yeah just said that to Ian re Huyton......never 250 of us there....

1 minute ago, chromedome said:

I can't confirm that sorry Ian.....I have all the records for Town that gives the teams, point scorers, but sadly attendances are not included.....though the Rothman Yearbooks do show them.

One match details, I recall being at, was versus Huyton (mid 80's)  - when the attendance was returned at 250....and I counted less than that ha, ha.

Yea I remember that as well, could have given crowd changes out quicker than team changes.

Archived