Widnes Vikings

Spike

1 hour ago, Spike said:

Really disappointing result..  but I, and I hope many others..  Will be back down at DP next week loud as ever UTT

Your fans did you proud today. 

Loud and vocal and the Town team will improve. 

Widnes were fast and elusive with great displays from Fozzard, Smith, Craven, Lawton as well as Doro, Dupree and Holroyd

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, chromedome said:

No Town didn't play Bramley at anytime in 1972.

It was against Blackpool in the 71/72 season, it was a competition for clubs that lost in the first round of the Players No 6 trophy.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

6 minutes ago, Derwent said:

It was against Blackpool in the 71/72 season, it was a competition for clubs that lost in the first round of the Players No 6 trophy.

Yeah almost right, but Town played Blackpool in the actual John Player Trophy on 13th. November 1971 losing 0-10 at Derwent Park...attendance very poor......then Town (as a first round loser) went into the 'Players Top Tries Comp'....at home to Bradford Northern on 27/11/71...again losing, this time by 5-9 at Derwent Park....Town try: Ray Morton, Goal; John McQuire.

Well i know it's easy to be negative from listening to on the radio and apparently Chris was scathing in his interview, but from being 18 down in 12 the the scoring was equal until late on. Yeah 68 is horrendous and there are obviously things to work on like goal line defence and catching on the full, we actually held them up then let them get the ball down, but we honestly didnt struggle to make ground but we did lack size in defending our line. Two knock ons in the first 5 of the second half is a coach killer. What i did like was whenever we conceded we were straight back at them and looked like scoring most of the time. We've got new signings coming and i'm not preaching to the converted but we really need to stand by them week after week until they find their feet ..hopefully they will cos i don't fancy conceding 60 points every week!!

7 minutes ago, homeandawayer said:

Well i know it's easy to be negative from listening to on the radio and apparently Chris was scathing in his interview, but from being 18 down in 12 the the scoring was equal until late on. Yeah 68 is horrendous and there are obviously things to work on like goal line defence and catching on the full, we actually held them up then let them get the ball down, but we honestly didnt struggle to make ground but we did lack size in defending our line. Two knock ons in the first 5 of the second half is a coach killer. What i did like was whenever we conceded we were straight back at them and looked like scoring most of the time. We've got new signings coming and i'm not preaching to the converted but we really need to stand by them week after week until they find their feet ..hopefully they will cos i don't fancy conceding 60 points every week!!

Signings, or signing?

2 minutes ago, homeandawayer said:

I've just listened to it and he says..a couple of new faces next week .

Yeah I think he meant he was going to play some of the lads who haven’t had a game yet rather than new signings.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Didn`t expect that score , but what is more concerning is Newcastle were brushed aside by Batley at home and Sheffield after losing at  Barrow won away at Bradford .The mini league we thought we were in at the bottom , might just have got smaller .Lets hope the lads get some backing this week and get a little pride back........been following Town now for 59 years and am not ready to give in yet!  UTT.

14 hours ago, chromedome said:

Yeah almost right, but Town played Blackpool in the actual John Player Trophy on 13th. November 1971 losing 0-10 at Derwent Park...attendance very poor......then Town (as a first round loser) went into the 'Players Top Tries Comp'....at home to Bradford Northern on 27/11/71...again losing, this time by 5-9 at Derwent Park....Town try: Ray Morton, Goal; John McQuire.

Spot on , the RL in their wisdom invented this stupid top tries comp which no one was interested in and i am sure , but i will do a bit of digging that the crowd was given as 150 .

At the end of the day the club has a  budget to work within. Other clubs in this league have bigger budgets and are  much better placed geographically than us to attract the right players. What will be will be. I'ev always thought that nowadays a cumbrian club  getting long term championship status is unlikely barring a sugar daddy coming in. Yes you have to have ambition but you also have to be realistic with modern day sport as money dictates it. Big shout out to the travelling fans for yesterday. I can't do away games anymore but will be at all home games this season irrespective of results.  

I’m not sure what some were expecting, We are still largely a young callow side taking on sides with a lot more (and SL) experience. I mean just look at some of the names in that Widnes line-up.  It’s going to be hard for the lads and I just hope they don’t get disheartened - I don’t think Chris will let them - as I thought we were genuinely unlucky in the Newcastle game. Yes, I would have liked to have seen one or 2 a bit special and/or experienced in recruitment, we especially miss Holroyd in attack, but I still back us to pinch the odd game especially at DP. Not confident it will be next week though ......UTT

What was the correct score yesterday?  I thought it was 68 - 18 and the Daily Express gives that score but the RL Express gives it as 70 - 18!!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

Commentators said it was 62 at some point but the scoreboard said 60. They kept with that to 68  but it was corrected at some point till 70.

Been following the posts, and made me think back 6 or so years ago, when we were in the Championship under Phil Vievers. We were to play Featherstone  and were struggling to raise the team  and Mat Johnston the conditioning coach had to play on the wing. We surprisingly won and survived that season

Don't expect that this week but it's a funny old game.

Town’s official site also gives the score as 68 - 18!!  The league table of the RL Express also shows it as 70 - 18!!  I would hate Town’s fate to be decided by 2 points at the end of the season!!!!!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

Watching the "highlights" I think there will be plenty of tackling practice this week. If we tackle like that every week we won't win a game all season, but it's something that can be fixed and I'm sure Chris will be on it.

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

Archived