Widnes Vikings

Spike

I can see and understand both arguments, but the reality is that Workington is a small town and this is the ONLY chance that either club will have to get a stadium which is fit for purpose.

Out of the two clubs, the Reds could I suppose stay on their own if they could tie the council down to a long term lease as they can access FA grants as they move up the football pyramid which would allow them to modernise Borough Park in stages. 

The only asset Town have is the land, of which any profits would have to be shared with the council, and there's little to no funding available to modernise Derwent Park, as professional RL club's don't qualify for Sport England funding on their own, so in that respect this is Town's one and only chance to rid themselves of the millstone known as Derwent Park.

Should the opportunity arise, I'm sure our friends down the road would jump at the chance of sharing a nice shiny new stadium with Whitehaven AFC.

"Allerdale BC want nothing to do with the running or operating of the ground. it will be left 2 both clubs.
A managment company is being set up at the moment. it will consist of 2 directors from reds, 2 from town and 2 independent. this company will manage and run the stadium."

Again, if the above comment is correct, then neither club has anything to worry about as the stadium management will be ran by both clubs.

No doubt, the devil will be in the detail, so let's wait and see what the planners come up with

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

I can see and understand both arguments, but the reality is that Workington is a small town and this is the ONLY chance that either club will have to get a stadium which is fit for purpose.

Out of the two clubs, the Reds could I suppose stay on their own if they could tie the council down to a long term lease as they can access FA grants as they move up the football pyramid which would allow them to modernise Borough Park in stages. 

The only asset Town have is the land, of which any profits would have to be shared with the council, and there's little to no funding available to modernise Derwent Park, as professional RL club's don't qualify for Sport England funding on their own, so in that respect this is Town's one and only chance to rid themselves of the millstone known as Derwent Park.

Should the opportunity arise, I'm sure our friends down the road would jump at the chance of sharing a nice shiny new stadium with Whitehaven AFC.

"Allerdale BC want nothing to do with the running or operating of the ground. it will be left 2 both clubs.
A managment company is being set up at the moment. it will consist of 2 directors from reds, 2 from town and 2 independent. this company will manage and run the stadium."

Again, if the above comment is correct, then neither club has anything to worry about as the stadium management will be ran by both clubs.

No doubt, the devil will be in the detail, so let's wait and see what the planners come up with

hi, that was my post you took from the reds forum, and those where the exact words from our chairman's mouth, he also went on to praise the excellent working relationship between the clubs on the project.

questions where asked about the above, bars catering etc which we where told once finalised would he briefed to us all. 

the view around the stadium was "community use" this place being open 7 days a week, weddings, functions, corporate. youth football and rugby etc etc.

RL.

On 09/02/2022 at 14:56, Billy Bob said:

I am a Haven fan, and I don't understand how two separate clubs football & rugby can manage and maintain a stadium between one & the other. 

Example: Who controls the bar takings and stock ? How do they split the running costs, Water, Gas, Electric, Rates, Grass cutting, Pitch Marking, Cleaning, Repairs, Catering, Advertising, etc. I could go on endlessly.

Should the stadium be used for community purposes how does this figure in sharing the costs 

Unfortunately, you could find that a management company may be appointed by Allerdale to manage and run the stadium.

How are the costs to be shared ? those use the stadium most, pay the most ? or the biggest gates pay the most ?  

If a management company runs the stadium both the Reds & Town do not own or control the Stadium. 

Management company run facilities are run for profit and everything they do has a cost, volunteers for cutting grass, match day security, etc will not be acceptable.

I have spoke to friends who are Leigh supporters and they regret being attached to the Sports Village stadium, stating that the charges that arise are horrendous.

Fans have more say and control in the club that they have now.

However I am a Haven fan and my Town colleague Eunuchorn will probably say that I am just trying to spook you. 

Look before you Leap. 

WOW, so you finally admit to being from the dark side. All these years we thought you were just an unstable Townie, I'm sure it comes as a shock to all us Townies that you aren't really one of us. Biggest shock since Larry Grayson came out of the closet. And here's me thinking the plank that used to post anti Town propaganda on the N&S Web site was a totally different Billy Bob. Your opening statement makes me think of you at a jamoholic anonymous meeting, all forlorn and introducing yourself '"Hi, I'm Billy Bob and I'm an haven fan" 

Thanks for the heartfelt stadium advice  Billy, your concerns are admirable.🤣

18 hours ago, Unicorn 106 said:

WOW, so you finally admit to being from the dark side. All these years we thought you were just an unstable Townie, I'm sure it comes as a shock to all us Townies that you aren't really one of us. Biggest shock since Larry Grayson came out of the closet. And here's me thinking the plank that used to post anti Town propaganda on the N&S Web site was a totally different Billy Bob. Your opening statement makes me think of you at a jamoholic anonymous meeting, all forlorn and introducing yourself '"Hi, I'm Billy Bob and I'm an haven fan" 

Eunuchorn you are a plank, I have never ever posted on the N&S web site, let alone post anti Town propaganda. Eunuch you must be a an insecure, insignificant little man if you resort to unsubstantiated accusations.

20 hours ago, Unicorn 106 said:

Billy Bob is our old friend Will (Short) Sirkett I reckon….

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

3 hours ago, Billy Bob said:

Eunuchorn you are a plank, I have never ever posted on the N&S web site, let alone post anti Town propaganda. Eunuch you must be a an insecure, insignificant little man if you resort to unsubstantiated accusations.

Says the man using juvenile insults 

4 hours ago, Billy Bob said:

Have a cup of tea and relax.. it'll do you some good 😘

7 hours ago, Billy Bob said:

You were rumbled a long time ago Billy Bob you sad jameating troll.

Archived