Kate

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the main problem for me is that she seems to be the "figurehead" for both the RFU and the RFL. As soon as I see a picture of her in a Workington top I'll change my mind, but until then, and based on the fact that all the PR photos I've seen are purely Union related, I suspect she doesn't even know there are two different sports.

3 minutes ago, thebrewxi said:

I think the main problem for me is that she seems to be the "figurehead" for both the RFU and the RFL. As soon as I see a picture of her in a Workington top I'll change my mind, but until then, and based on the fact that all the PR photos I've seen are purely Union related, I suspect she doesn't even know there are two different sports.

I'm certain that people said the same about Harry but he did his bit. Give her a chance!

3 minutes ago, thebrewxi said:

Most people in the country don't really know the difference. You'll never see me in a Workington top either come to think of it. 

7 minutes ago, thebrewxi said:

Royals have been turning up at Rugby League games forever, and has it made one bit of difference. She might be a nice woman but I suspect this is more about shoring up the Royals future rather than Rugby League`s.

9 minutes ago, thebrewxi said:

As soon as I see a picture of her in a Workington top

She doesn’t want to publicise her support but she gets all the DVD’s of games sent to her and Wills bought her a mug and bobble hat as christmas prezzies 

7 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Royals have been turning up at Rugby League games forever, and has it made one bit of difference. She might be a nice woman but I suspect this is more about shoring up the Royals future rather than Rugby League`s.

Yeah cos RL is a surefire way to see the royal family continue unhindered. 

RL consistently complains about being ignored and marginalised yet as soon as anything mainstream gets onboard it reacts like a cat to water. It can't have it both ways. 

This isn't really a bad thing. Nor is it really a good thing. It's just a thing that's happened. Loads of sports have royal patrons. Doesn't really mean anything at all. I doubt anyone remotely cares who the royal patron is for a sport but hey, at least rugby league still has one.

I'm pleased with this appointment in terms of it being an equally high profile Royal taking it on. I'm not however happy with how once again the national broadcast media have clearly been briefed it's both the RFL and RFU.....and then go on to discuss it in a solely RU context. The sports report on the Beeb had Ralph Rimmer doing a short interview but all other reports (including on the BBC main news) make it very RU centric - I guess we shouldn't be surprised but it felt very obvious today. 

I hope she plays a key role around the WC events - that would be big. 

44 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Yeah cos RL is a surefire way to see the royal family continue unhindered. 

This is just one of many demographics that her public relations team will be ticking off. I`ll bet those same PR people will be scouring social media tonight to see what the response has been and with comments like some on here they`ll be pretty pleased.

19 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

This is just one of many demographics that her public relations team will be ticking off. I`ll bet those same PR people will be scouring social media tonight to see what the response has been and with comments like some on here they`ll be pretty pleased.

You think such high profile people shouldn't be involved with RL? Or only if they were raised on the game perhaps? 

31 minutes ago, weloveyouwakefield2 said:

Heart radio news had duchess of Cambridge trains with England rugby today as Patron of English rugby. No mention of proper rugby….🤢

Well she is the Patron of both codes, so that sounds accurate 

1 hour ago, thebrewxi said:

Royal women in championship rugby league tops - that’s a niche fetish @thebrewxi

Archived